Page 1 of 121 1234561151 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member CaptainEO's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 18, 2009, 8:04 PM - Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #1

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to build a replica of the bike in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. I've been doing some research and I believe it is a Schwinn DX base, and the skirts and bags are custom. I also found that the tiger horn was a found item made in Italy called "La Tigre della Strada" or, The Tiger of the Road. I was also able to find some pictures:

If anything, I would love to be able to find this siren to stick on my own bike!
    From
    HILL VALLEY
    Feb 18, 2009, 8:10 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #2

Great flick and "Tell em.....Large Marge sent ya"

3. RPF Premium Member CaptainEO's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 18, 2009, 8:17 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #3

Also, a Delta Rocket Ray light is used on the front fender:
  4. RPF Premium Member Funky Jedi's Avatar
    From
    Tulsa Okie-dokie
    Feb 18, 2009, 8:46 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #4

Looks like someone has done their homework. Good job!

The good news is all of the pieces have been identified (if memory serves there were only like 2 only custom made pieces, the rest were off the shelf) I spent 3 years researching all the pieces (now there are several Pee-Wee fan sites with grocery lists for the parts).

The bad news is EVERY piece of data I had stored for this project died with my last laptop. Since then I just haven't had to energy to re-visit any of it again. Just thinking of all the research I did and losing it all makes me ill. But I can say so far you are SO on the right track!
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Feb 18, 2009, 8:55 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #5

Oh, I love this thread (then why don't I marry it??). Here's a pic of a replica bike. Would love to see more pix and resources posted on Pee Wee's bike.

Pumpernickel

6. The Pensive Polak RPF Premium Member ItsThatGuy's Avatar
    From
    Richmond, Virginia USA
    Feb 18, 2009, 9:02 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #6

Where's the basement?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie! LOVE that bike!
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Feb 18, 2009, 9:07 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #7

ItsThatGuy said: View Post
    Where's the basement?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie! LOVE that bike!
    IS THERE SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US, AMAZING LARRY?!
    Feb 18, 2009, 9:32 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #8

i want that siren to!
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2000
    From
    Earth
    Feb 18, 2009, 9:38 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #9

"Good Morning!!...I'm HEEERE!!!"
    I loved that line! LOL!
    This is a great thread.
    Feb 18, 2009, 9:59 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #10

Man..at one point I had almost all the parts to build that, but lost interest before I did,,,I did however bid on the one that popped up on ebay a little while ago..I believe one of the bikes actually used a Roadmaster tank if I remember right...the tank didn't fit exactly right in one scene..there were quite a few bikes used throughout the movie but the heart of the "hero" bike is for sure a post war Schwinn DX with a 60's style Schwinn springer fork..I always thought the skirts and chainguard were custom, but the saddle bags were a found item ( scooter or something)
    Last edited by RBJ; Feb 18, 2009 at 10:41 PM.
  11. RPF Premium Member CaptainEO's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 19, 2009, 1:58 AM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #11

Funky Jedi said: View Post
    Looks like someone has done their homework. Good job!

The good news is all of the pieces have been identified (if memory serves there were only like 2 only custom made pieces, the rest were off the shelf) I spent 3 years researching all the pieces (now there are several Pee-Wee fan sites with grocery lists for the parts).

The bad news is EVERY piece of data I had stored for this project died with my last laptop. Since then I just haven't had to energy to re-visit any of it again. Just thinking of all the research I did and losing it all makes me ill. But I can say so far you are SO on the right track!
    Thanks! I haven't really done too much research. Just started by finding a pic of the Tiger and went from there. Very cool that it was mostly found pieces.

That sucks about all the data being lost you gathered! I'll have to look through some of the fan sites and see if I can piece a parts list together.

I'm glad I'm on the right track so far, I've mostly been looking at Schwinn message boards is all. I have a feeling if I am ever able to find that Tiger, I'll end up trying to find everything else shortly thereafter
    From
    Portland, Oregon
    Mar 5, 2009, 11:14 AM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #12

CaptainEO, A friend of mine (who works in the Industry) still has one of the 6(?) bikes that were made for the film. PM me & I'll see if I can hook you up.
  13. RPF Premium Member CaptainEO's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 23, 2010, 1:27 AM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #13

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I recently was able to acquire one of the elusive Tiger sirens! Cast in black plastic and painted to match the film. It has also been modified with a working microphone, just like in the movie!

Better pics to follow!
  14. RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Mar 23, 2010, 8:49 AM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #14

When I was a kid, nothing was more obsessive for me than wanting one of these bikes! Thanks for the blast from the past....now I want it all over again!
    From
    Portland, Oregon
    Mar 23, 2010, 10:20 AM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #15

Capt. E, as I mentioned before, my friend (who's also the Set Master for Dexter) has one of the Hero Bikes. He, like you, lives in LA & when I'm there (in June) I'll try to get you & his Bike together for some pics & a Ride. In the mean time, let me know what info & pics you require for your PW/BA Bike project & I'll hook you up - asap!
  16. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    Mar 23, 2010, 11:31 AM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #16

I just got my Bike Horn replica too. The thing looks great!

I'm working on a bike as well. The most elusive part so far is the chainguard. Very few phtos of the back showing how it was built.

Any and all photos you can get would be great.

Nick
  17. RPF Premium Member CaptainEO's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 23, 2010, 12:17 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #17

modeleers said: View Post
    Capt. E, as I mentioned before, my friend (who's also the Set Master for Dexter) has one of the Hero Bikes. He, like you, lives in LA & when I'm there (in June) I'll try to get you & his Bike together for some pics & a Ride. In the mean time, let me know what info & pics you require for your PW/BA Bike project & I'll hook you up - asap!
    That would be amazing!! It seems that there is a lack of decent pictures of the bike in general, so even just some high quality shots from all sides would be excellent. I'll send you a PM.

I still have to find a 50's era Schwinn before I can really start on a build, but I did mount the tiger siren on my cruiser bike, looks pretty slick!
    From
    Long Island, NY
    Nov 3, 2010, 3:59 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #18

Any updates on this? I recently got back from seeing Pee-wee on Broadway. Easily one of the highlights of my life! Now I'm super stoked about this project!
  19. RPF Premium Member Funky Jedi's Avatar
    From
    Tulsa Okie-dokie
    Nov 3, 2010, 4:38 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #19

Where are you people getting the sirens?! I always miss them!
  20. Formerly DocBrown88 Edward H's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nov 3, 2010, 6:53 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #20

I have been wanting to make this bike too... The parts are so so hard to find. I just planned on fabricating everything... I did however find a guy who molded the Tiger siren.. Probably the same guy Captain EO bought his from... He was offering them a while back... I have seen real ones on ebay go for well over $500....
  21. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Nov 3, 2010, 10:10 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #21

there is a guy in town that dresses up for halloween as Peewee every year and has a pretty good replica. I live in oregon and the pic above with the mountains in the background.... I wouldnt be surp,rised if that was his. it looks like our vista.
    he is an owner of a local bike store. Ill see what he can tell me.
    From
    Los Angeles,CA
    Nov 5, 2010, 1:12 AM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #22

Hi Guys,
    I've been working on collecting all the correct parts:

Here is what I have or know you need for a X1 build.

1946-1953 Schwinn DX frame, the frame is not a straight bar it's a camelback frame where the two top bars have a curve in them. This frame shows up with both abuilt in kick stand and an add-on kickstand which is a greenfield kickstand
    You need the matching tank, a guy on ebay called bicyclebones sells them. Note that the real bike has plastic tanks, cause they just vac-formed over an original to make the parts and copies.
    You need 29 or 30" wide cruiser bars, wald made these years back you have to really look for them.
    The grips are called donkey dick grips, there is a guy on ebay the sells them
    Streamers should have a metal cylinder on them, two variets red and white and multi-colored show up in the movie
    The fenders are DX fenders but without the trussrod indent only the fork blade indent. They have aftermarket brackets on them.
    The springer is a later 1950's to 80's springer with the "S" bolts, not a pyramid springer

The wheels are 26" CMC aftermarket wheels, really hard to find, if you get heavy duty aftermarket wheels you'll be close.
    The tires are Carlisle Indian Head Lightining Darts.

The crank is a Takagi Cro-Mo 175x24 chrome crank
    The BB is Tange 24 TPI (the bearings and hardware for the cranks)
    pedals are vintage Union with yellow reflectors,you can get these for 10.00 bucks at the bike swap.
    Seat- Black mesinger9 side diamonds and a rear center oval with "Messinger" debossed.
    seat clamp is Schwinn "S" style clamp with a generic round head seat bolt.

front headlight is either a Delta Rocket ray or super rocket ray, with a custom propeller and fins (clear red plexi)
    The siren is non-functional pearsons majestic siren- I have a few extras if you need one PM me.
    The compass is an Airguide dash compass all black square plastic base.
    a shimano 3 speed shifter is on the right handlebar and a dia compe style Tech 3 lever on the left.
    The Project box has 2 switches 7MM red and green there is place in Burbank that has the correct size box.
    There is mickey mouse bell on the left handlebar, there are two versions soccer and tailor mickey in all green, the bell is the cylinder style (not the hexed shape) with a black button for both images.
    The tiger siren, the heads been resculpted but not too crazy changed,
    There are two style of housing a large one (rare), and a smaller one common to find.
    There is red tubing connecting levers to to the tank.

The tank had three switches the center is 50's automotive start switch with a machined collar, the two other switches are push buttons red one and a black one.
    There is machined collar on the right handlebar for the breakaway grip in the movie.
    tank emblems are custom- wrapped in chrome tape.

The rear bags are all custom
    the lights on the bags are signal stat lights
    The latches are available on amazon.
    The rings for the red lights can be bought at slingrings.com
    I have yet to figure out the "Property of PW" brass plate

The wheel hub swirls are custom and about 8" diameter
    The pinstripes are done with white pinstripe tape, I think they might be 3/16th thick
    The chrome on the bags and the badges is in chrome tape.
    Last edited by Abelugo; Jul 31, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
  23. RPF Premium Member Funky Jedi's Avatar
    From
    Tulsa Okie-dokie
    Nov 5, 2010, 9:40 AM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #23

Abelugo, welcome and great information. If memory serves, you seem to have everything pretty much spot on though I think you have more detailed info than I did. You've inspired me to pick up this project again!
  24. Formerly DocBrown88 Edward H's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jan 4, 2011, 5:45 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #24

Abe... I tried to reply to your PM but it looks like your PM function is turned off...

I found this pic online... Looks like the other screen used Peewee bike that sold on ebay several years ago for something crazy like $17k... I believe this is the bike used for all the FX shots, ie. smoke, oil slick, rockets etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3568179503_a4d56e2881_o.jpg 
Views:	918 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	42123  
    Last edited by Edward H; Apr 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
    From
    Los Angeles,CA
    Jan 4, 2011, 6:30 PM - Re: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike #25

Thanks Doc Brown- How far along are you on your bike?
    That does look like the ebay 17K bike, same badge and missing skirt pieces. I'll try to post my Hollywood museum bike pics in a bit. Hopefully you have some good ones to share too.
    what pieces are you missing?