Original Michael Crawford Phantom of the Opera mask - FINALLY!

darthjones

Sr Member
Okay, gang -

Not everyone here is a Phantom head but we're certainly mask people. This here is a Michael Crawford Phantom of the Opera mask. More pictures later in better light but the story is that I was contacted by someone with a stage used Crawford mask. It is a rather fragile thing, susceptible to heat, and in this case, cracked (minor). She asked if I could duplicate it for her since - well, as a backup. But this was molded from the front since we did not want to remove the original leather from the stage used piece. Not a problem - it was cast in silicone and I made an uber thin fiberglass pull, the one that you see here. It is certainly thin enough to have the wire and leather put in as well and that is what she would like.

Again, better photos later with color and all that but I painted it like the one she has. However, there is some sloppier paint on her original piece. I was more careful but the colors are the same.

Each one is a tiny bit different of course but this is pretty dang close.

Alright, the pics.

I agree. It is a cool one for sure. The Chaney one I like because of how creepy it is. This one has more of its own attitude whether you're wearing it or not I think.

Ah, there are very few members of the "nailed it" club. Which one are you? Can you answer the following question - who starred in King of the Wicker People?

A beautiful piece, probably top on my to-do list since I'm a huge Phan... I just need to cast my own face so I can sculpt the mask!

Beautiful, so do you know whose face that was cast from? Or is it an actual sculpture?

The Phantom stage mask is an original sculpture, likely crafted by FX artist Christopher Tucker. First, a life cast was taken of Mr. Crawford. Then, the Phantom facial prosthetics were sculpted over his life cast and molded. From that mold, a new positive was cast and the half mask you see above was sculpted over top of the prosthetics design in order to effectively mask those features while simultaneously fitting very tight to the actor's real face so that you really have no earthly idea what lies beneath the thing.

It looks absolutely perfect, darthjones. :thumbsup Nothing will EVER top that piece!!

Cheers,

Ryan

Wow. Thanks for the kind words, Curse! And yes, your rundown is perfect. This is the one that was sculpted over Crawford's face and makeup. Again, it is molded from the outside (no choice, really) but the upside of that is that little surface imperfections and such were nicely retained. There are minor little "tells" here and there but I don't expect any thread on this thing to get that deep.

Now, having seen this, I hope to make/ sculpt a version for myself that echoes this one a bit more than my last "trooping" version did.

:)

Beautiful work on a very cool project.
WELL DONE!!!!
It still has "that" vibe of the original.

Was the intire backside covered in thin leather?

All the best,
Chuck...

Thanks, All! Yes, the real one had leather lining the interior. I just put leather in this one too and wired it like the stage piece. It now hangs quite nicely and I've got to get some better shots for sure.

Hard to capture the coloring - need some studio lights or something next time around.

:)

What colour is the leather used? I saw the stage show in London back in January, but even sitting in the front row couldn't see too much of the inside of the mask (during 'Stranger than you dreamt it')

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back