Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jan 15, 2012, 2:15 AM - Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #1

My GF and I are watching this series with some interest as there are a lot of cool props being produced for the show.
    Kevinericon has produced some great looking props so far:
    http://www.therpf.com/f13/once-upon-...y-dust-134761/
    http://www.therpf.com/f13/once-upon-...rrived-134953/
    And rather than hijack his thread I thought I'd start a new one.
    In the latest episode "Desperate Souls" we find out about Mr Gold's mysterious past. There is a cool looking dagger which transforms a cowardly farmer into the mischievous Rumplestiltskin (I know that it is written as Rumpelstiltskin in other texts but this is the spelling that ABC have decided to go with). I've acquired some high res screen caps and I'm after a bit of help with the following:
    • Accurate measurements
    • Font choice
    • Some insight into the pommel and sculpted detail on the handle

As always - any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Should have some pics up in the next few days of my other project.
    Last edited by OzDean; Jan 15, 2012 at 2:33 AM.
  2. RPF Premium Member kevinericon's Avatar
    Jan 15, 2012, 7:50 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #2

Quite interested to see where this is going. Subscribed!
  3. Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Jan 15, 2012, 9:44 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #3

I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this, I wanted that dagger the moment I saw it on screen
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jan 19, 2012, 3:33 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #4

Okay. so I've taken some measurements using the photos above and worked out that the blade is 5cm wide and about 35.5cm long. Unsure on the thickness - maybe 4mm?

Does that look about right?

Next step is to start working on the graphics. Then cut a blank and begin sharpening...
    Any idea on the font used?
  5. RPF Premium Member kevinericon's Avatar
    Jan 19, 2012, 8:34 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #5

Maybe you can search it on what the font website. It looks like a readily made font, but you can still vector it if you can't find a 100% match.
    From
    Sweden
    Jan 19, 2012, 1:52 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #6

Why did i click on this thread?

The show have just started here in Sweden (2 episodes so far), and this might have spoild it for me but hey it was my own fault and really looking forward to this.

You can try dafont.com
    In there you can write for ex zoso and then browse the font to find one that matches.

Looking forward to this project....good luck
    From
    Sweden
    Jan 20, 2012, 2:22 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #7

Did find this one on Dafont (fontname Black Knight)

and this one (this one have the S and K more correct but not the R). This one is called MK Broken Types

There are a few more under Gothic > Medieval

Did play around some the R is with Black Knight and the rest is MK Broken

Last edited by USiT; Jan 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM.
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jan 20, 2012, 9:01 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #8

That last one is very close! Bit of trimming and it could work. Thanks!
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jan 21, 2012, 9:08 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #9

Was working out the graphics on the back of the dagger today. It appears that there are two different daggers. I thought it was perhaps a change of graphics when the dagger showed his name but the different graphics both appear in the last scene with his son. Mmm what to do? Might come up with a combination of both...

10. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    From
    peoria, IL
    Feb 21, 2012, 8:30 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #10

any new info on this? It really looks like a found dagger to me. Can anyone help ID?

Also, it looks to me that "Rumple" is in Black knight and "stiltskin" is in MK broken. If you combine those two (not just the R) I think you have an exact match.
  11. RPF Premium Member kevinericon's Avatar
    Feb 23, 2012, 8:37 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #11

Any news? I think we'll definitely see more of this dagger when the story progresses.
    Feb 23, 2012, 10:49 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #12

I just knew someone would do this dagger when I was watching the show. This show has a lot of props I would love to see people make.
    I definitely will be watching this thread.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Feb 28, 2012, 7:34 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #13

I was just browsing around on dafont, and found 'Duerers Minuskeln'. It's not an exact match, but has very similar flourishes on the letters. Maybe it could be a starting point if you feel the need to draw your own?

I can't wait to see more progress on this regardless of the font
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Apr 3, 2012, 10:30 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #14

Okay, it's holiday time so back to some projects.
    I've finally found a local supplier who will cut stainless bar to order.
    Before I do that I just want to double check.
    The measurements I worked out had the width of the blade at 5cm wide.
    However, I have LARGE hands.
    So I've taken a couple of pics. One with a 5cm wide blade and another with a 4cm wide blade. Could I get some ideas of width? I'm still thinking 5cm is still the way to go.
    4cm

5cm
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Apr 3, 2012, 10:46 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #15

I agree, 5 cm is the way to go. It's a pretty big dagger.
  16. RPF Premium Member kevinericon's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2012, 12:17 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #16

Yes 5cm. I have small hands but 4cm just didn't look right.
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Apr 23, 2012, 7:00 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #17

Some great pics of the dagger tonight. It seems that the black lettering and scroll work is now etched onto the blade. Maybe it's the evil seeping into the blade....

Anyhow... Back to progress. Got all my measurements and I purchased the stainless to make the master blade. I've given it a quick spray with Matt black paint then scribed my template on to the dagger. It's in the vice now having its rough shape cut out and then it's down to the grind. Pics to follow!
  18. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    From
    Northern California
    Apr 23, 2012, 3:42 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #18

This is awesome! Would love to see this when its done.
  19. RPF Premium Member kevinericon's Avatar
    Apr 23, 2012, 9:25 PM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #19

ooooh, can't wait!
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Apr 26, 2012, 5:29 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #20

Hey gang,
    Here are the latest images from the last episode. As you can see the knife has changed (the design is etched into the blade and the text has been flipped so the his name now starts at the hilt end) so let's call this one version 2. My knife will be a hybrid of both but mainly version 2.
    I also pick up some more grinding disks tonight so I'll show some progress pics this weekend.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by OzDean; Apr 26, 2012 at 5:42 AM.
    From
    Clermont, Fl
    Apr 26, 2012, 7:23 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #21

Very cool, I love this show.
    From
    Sunny Sarasota
    Apr 26, 2012, 7:51 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #22

Good luck with the grinding, wavy kris blades are a "mother" to grind!
    Jeff
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jun 9, 2012, 4:08 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #23

Okay....
    Finally I have an update! Been flat out writing reports for school and today was the first time in ages that I could get into the garage and work.
    I had originally purchased some stainless to do this but I switched over to Aluminium (1 - it was free, 2 - I'm gong to cast it anyway and 3 - it's a lot easier to file and sand).
    I glued the templates on to both sides and used these as a guide for filing.
    So I filed, sanded, filed, sanded, filed, sanded and sanded some more. Bit of polish just so you can see what it will look like. It needs more work but I'm hungry and in desperate need of a beer transfusion!

Last edited by OzDean; Jun 9, 2012 at 4:16 AM.
    From
    Southern California
    Jun 9, 2012, 11:23 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #24

Ummm....this is looking amazing!!!!
    Jun 10, 2012, 9:46 AM - Re: Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy) #25

USiT said: View Post
    With a shot like that, you could actually trace over it in Adobe Illustrator as the characters are nice and sharp.