Ok, where can I buy one of these? Akira Anime style motorcycle

Akira

From one of my favourite movies of course, and have dreamed about having one in real life for past 20 years. How can I get my hands on one of these? :cry Probably break the bank for me tho!

bike2q.jpg

Re: Ok, where can I buy one of these?

I have been on this hunt for years. They made a few kits that went over scooters as well, but they were not as slick as this one.

-Robb

I believe the scooter conversion fitted on one of these -
bike.jpg

No actually the scooter fit over an old Honda Helix. The bike you posted is an electric scooter made in Japan that was inspired by the Akira bike. Can you tell I have done my research? :lol

-Robb

I've often thought about building one myself, from scratch. Thinking along lines of picking up a damaged/salvage Suzuki GSX-R or similar, and modifying frame.

Maybe I should get off the couch and get started!

Tim

You know I think I knew that but it's been so long since I saw that bike my memory just mashed it all together. I really need to label my research folders better!
The only problem with scooter conversions is that it'll always sound like a scooter.

If you're looking for something street legal and driveable I'd recommend Eddie Paul, Cinema Vehicle Services, or any of the hundreds of custom chopper shops in your area. I have friends who have worked with both of them and they're fantastic professionals. Apart from the steering linkage it's a pretty straightforward custom motorcycle. Two parts fiberglass, one part wrecked Suzuki/Yamaha.

I can also vouch a custom motorcycle builder/restorer in Bakersfield who has done a handful of vintage BSAs and Nortons for my father who's quite an artist. There's a prop building reality show trying to get off the ground called "LA Propper" which might be able to take on the project for one of their shows as well.

Unless you do all of the work yourself plan on $20-30K or thereabouts. About the cost of a new Camry with all of the bells and whistles.

If you can't find anyone to help you make some blueprints I have been taking commissions for custom vehicles lately so I could give you a hand at my usual dirt cheap consulting rate, but I have quite a line ahead of any new projects: BTTF Delorean robotics, transforming SPM Knight Rider car (touchscreen dash install this weekend), Tomorrow Never Dies BMW 7 series, Minority Report Lexus, and some assorted Knight Rider tricks and toys.

Best of luck! Join Star Car Central when you're done!

--Brian

Making one yourself is probably the cheapest option.
Hack a donor bike, do all the frame, body moulding, wiring etc and away you go.
Certainly one hell of a bike and a BIG project. You'll learn a lot doing it as well.

But not really for the novice.
It depends how screen-accurate you want it.

Personally, I'm waiting until I can afford a Suzuki G-Strider and then I'll rip that up!!

Making one yourself is probably the cheapest option.
Hack a donor bike, do all the frame, body moulding, wiring etc and away you go.
Certainly one hell of a bike and a BIG project. You'll learn a lot doing it as well.

But not really for the novice.
It depends how screen-accurate you want it.

Personally, I'm waiting until I can afford a Suzuki G-Strider and then I'll rip that up!!

Definitely, I'll have to take it on myself, due to what I can/cannot afford. I'm AOK on the motorcycle end of things and modifying a salvage bike to suit the Kaneda bike profile. The new part for me would be the fibreglass/body creation.

Tim

i think the image that you posted may have been from the bike that was made for the movie, which mcfarlane bought when he started making the toys in the late 90's? the reason for the decal change had something to do with license holders not giving them permission or something.
here's all the images i have on my hard drive.
the last few are of the conversion kit that you guys are talking about.
akira_wh.jpg

akiraspecial.jpg

making_akira.jpg

akira3.jpg

akira.jpg

neo_fukuoka_001303.jpg

akiraspecial2.jpg

hi_akira01.jpg

hi_akira03.jpg

hi_akira05.jpg

hi_akira06.jpg

oh yeah. that was never a working version either. it was just ply-wood and fiberglass with turning wheels and front steering.

I just figured out how to convert the existing bike/frame to be in right position for this to work. :cool

Thanks for the pics, it made me realize what has to be done. Now to go find a salvage bike! :lol

Tim

I just figured out how to convert the existing bike/frame to be in right position for this to work. :cool

Thanks for the pics, it made me realize what has to be done. Now to go find a salvage bike! :lol

Tim
no problem. good luck. also check out this website and see his bike build. click on the enter here rollover and not the image. the image takes you to an adobe site. he has detailed images of his design process and a gallery and stuff.
again, good luck. love to see it finished!!!
Matus1976's Akira Bike Project

That guy's project has been dead for a long time.

The magazine images previously posted we're from a Photoshoot for the Akira Mechanix 2019 Artbook, as well as the film version Laser Rifle.

The only fully functioning, street legal bike accurate to the film was built by Neo-Fukuoa. It had a working GPS unit and graphical speedometer.

neofukuoka0100500027.jpg

neofukuoka0102000010.gif

awesome! that's pretty cool. i'd love to see more images from that. i've had those images on my hard drive for awhile... they were just internet grabs and i never knew where they came from.

i knew that one guys project was dead but it's still pretty informative. too bad that he never finished it.

A Honda silver wing looks like a good starting point. It already has the correct step thru frame so you could leave the main frame alone. Then use a raked triple clamp and extended stanchions to get the relationship between the wheel and the handle bar right. The only big trick would be a single sided swing arm, altho the way the body work and wheel covers are you could conceal the non drive side arm pretty easy.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back