Official Star Trek Phaser Thread

franz bolo

Sr Member
What is a Franklin Mint Star Trek 30th Anniv. PhaserÂ*worth?
Are they accurate at all?

I just got an Art Asylum Original Series Phaser and my son loves it. I was wondering about other toy versions/brands. I heard the Coyle and MR are really nice, but it's for my son and not me.

I had a toy one when I was a kid around 1975 I think, but don't know what brand it was. If anyone has any pics of different phasers, I'd appreciate it if you can post them.

Thanks

FB

Last edited:
Originally posted by franz bolo@Dec 21 2005, 07:42 AM
What is a Franklin Mint Star Trek 30th Anniv. Phaser worth?
Are they accurate at all?

I just got an Art Asylum Original Series Phaser and my son loves it. I was wondering about other toy versions/brands. I heard the Coyle and MR are really nice, but it's for my son and not me.

I had a toy one when I was a kid around 1975 I think, but don't know what brand it was. If anyone has any pics of different  phasers, I'd appreciate it if you can post them.

Thanks

FB
[snapback]1140593[/snapback]​

The Franklin Mint phaser looks pretty bad. :confused

I looked at it a few years ago, saw it , said NO thanks.

It has gold accents ect... It looks like a 'Pimped' out version of the phaser. :eek:

There was one sold on e-bay that went for around $80.

There is another toy one out with the white handle. It has a thread here somewhere with a link.
:D

Franklin Mint phaser: garish, overpriced, hokey, not accurate. Apparently based on the Playmates phaser (see below)

FM-phaserII.jpg

Playmates toys phaser: not accurate, but the first "not totally ridiculous" licensed version of the phaser that was available. Used by the "Starship Exeter" fan film as a prop.

phaser-classic-playmates.jpg

23rd Century Pistol Kit: unlicensed but "mass produced" styrene model kit of the phaser. For a long time this was the best you could get. Very close to the "dummy" or "midgrade" prop used on the show, but the p2 body is too wide in the top profile. Also the p2 heatsink fins are "squared off" in front, they should be angled. But if modified this kit can make a darn fine replica. Can still be found on ebay for $30 or so.

oo_23_boxart.jpg
mio.jpg

oo_23_parts.jpg

HMS/Roddenberry.com phaser: screen-accurate (to the prop used on Deep Space Nine's TOS tribute episode "Trials and Tribbleations", made by the HMS prop company), one of the better replicas on the "licensed" market

Rodd.com built-up kit
ACF38C7.jpg

HMS Studios prop built for DS9
phasers.jpg

Art Asylum phaser: screen accurate (one of these unmodified toys was used as a phaser prop in the "Star Trek Enterprise" epsidode "In a Mirror Darkly"). Nearly identical to the HMS/Roddenberry.com phaser shown above, but introduces a few errors not present on that model (side ribs that curve up, side knob missing its round rim, inaccurate "popup" targeting sight). Nevertheless, the best reasonably-priced toy replica of the phaser ever made, and can be modified with metal parts to make a darn fine replica for a minimum of money)

B00009P7IK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Master Replicas phaser: Oh, so very close. The best licensed replica ever made (so far). Modeled closely on an actual surviving hero phaser prop. Introduces a few subtle errors (shape of the p1 hand phaser is wrong in the top profile, subtle errors in the p2 body shape). First licensed replica to have an accurate paint job. Includes accurate "rising sight plate" on the p1 and great digital sound and light effects. Very very nice for the money (at original price anyway).

classicphaserrep.jpg

Richard Coyle "late" version: a fan replica by a master. This was sold thru Roddenberry.com for a brief period. Includes digital sound and light effects. Styling more accurate to the prop than Coyle's early efforts (early Coyle phasers are recognizable by the large red "Radio Shack" button used as a trigger switch).

PhaserLeftSide_450.jpg

see RAC's site for a fantastic history of fan replica phasers from the early days thru the nineties.

http://www.racprops.com/issue3/copycats_photos/

Brad Nelson phaser: sold at conventions; not accurate to screenused prop, but larger and more idealized (in some ways better than the acutal prop; this is the "phaser of the mind's eye", the phaser as it should have been). Some were purchased by Gene Roddenberry and would have been used in the Star Trek Phase II TV series that was in preproduction in 1978 (only to be canceled to make way for Star Trek the Motion Picture).

BradTableLS.gif

There are many other fan replicas that have been made over the years, some more accurate than others. :D

Here's the thread on the new "white handled" version of the Art Asylum phaser. Bottom line: repaint of the earlier version, not accurate to that version of the prop, save your money).

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...01589&hl=phaser

- Karl

Damn, that is a very nice roundup of the existing TOS Phaser Replicas. Thanks Karl.

This gave me a long overdue overview, cause I'm a TNG-and-later kind of guy...

Great list. One kit that got left out is the Masterpiece Models, based on the John Long study of the Greg Jein hero. About as accurate as you can get. These were a limited run production, but were licensed. Its mostly a resin kit, with a few metal parts. Only down side was a few quality control issues with the 'second run'.

New%20Back%20MM%20Hero%202.JPG

but if you can find one, get it.

Here are a few of my phasers

MR TOS
STTOSMRPhaser2.jpg

Rod.com/Coyle TOS
STTOSCoyleNewPhaser2.jpg

Rod.com/HMS TOS
STTOSHMSPhaser2.jpg

Rod.com/HMS TOS Phaser Rifle
STTOSHMSPhaserRifle4.jpg

Art Asylum TOS
STTOSAAPhaser2.jpg

STTOSAABWPhaser2.jpg

Rod.com/HMS Cage
STTOSHMSCagePhaser2.jpg

MR First Contact Phaser
STFCMRPhaser2.jpg

Rod.com/HMS Boomerang Phaser
STTNGHMSBoomerangPhaser2.jpg

IPI TNG Cobra Phaser
STTNGIPICobraPhaser.jpg

Art Asylum Phase Pistol
STENTPhasePistol3.jpg

To tell the truth I left out the MM because I forgot it was licensed. :lol

I didn't want to get too deep into individual fan replicas, but since it came up... ;)

John Long/Masterpiece Models phaser: this kit seems to my eye to be based on an early replica built by Long before examining the Greg Jein phaser in person - or maybe it's actually based on the Jein prop directly but with excessive "compensation for the molding process" which bottom line means the form is too "chunky" and square looking out of the box.

With some work it can be wrangled into a good replica, but the kit is solid resin and must be hogged out to make room for interior mechanisms. This is one of Long's own buildups of the kit.

prop23.JPG

Here's Long's page on the phaser and his adventures with it. Lots of original prop pictures tho, so check it out.

http://www.saucersoverhollywood.com/phaserpage.html

Todd Mustacio phaser: This is an excellent fan replica, I do not own one myself but someone else can chime in. The one I saw in person was quite impressive.

DStines "Ultimate" phaser: another very fine replica, with elaborate digital sound and light effects.

ATL phaser: Well I participated in this project myself, so forgive me for not being objective. This replica was not available to the public, it was a personal project to see how close we could get to the original prop just based on the meagre reference material available. Times have changed: the photos posted on John Long's site linked above are better than what we had to work with. :lol

The ATL features authentic styling, and painstaking reconstruction of the interior mechanisms built into the original prop. No LEDs and digital sound effects here; it's all levers and wheels and grain-'o-wheat lightbulbs. A fantastic job done by master craftsman Centralrepair. :D

disassem5.jpg

disassem92.jpg

DSC09839.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

I have left out other fine work done by individuals here, so please continue to chime in and show your replicas. :D

- k

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome.. Thank you all so much for those pics, I now must go out and find one of those fine replicas mentioned... Which one, I have no idea.

Great information.

Tom

Is it possible to add a Market Value price for these items?

I just got a Classic Phaser on eBay for $21.00 but I have no clue if I got a deal or not. My son is going to love this toy..

The AA is great, but I think he would break it because it's not that hefty. I assume the Playmate one is built tougher.

thanks

FB

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 21 2005, 08:12 AM

John Long/Masterpiece Models phaser:  this kit seems to my eye to be based on an early replica built by Long before examining the Greg Jein phaser in person - or maybe it's actually based on the Jein prop directly but with excessive "compensation for the molding process" which bottom line means the form is too "chunky" and square looking out of the box.

With some work it can be wrangled into a good replica, but the kit is solid resin and must be hogged out to make room for interior mechanisms. This is one of Long's own static buildups of the kit.

prop23.JPG

Here's Long's page on the phaser and his adventures with it. Lots of original prop pictures tho, so check it out.

http://www.saucersoverhollywood.com/phaserpage.html

First off the MM phaser was based directly off the GJ phaser. The "larger" phaser that you and quite a few of your friends refer to was done months before we examined the original Hero Phaser. Infact we brought it along with us when we documented the Hero, it can be seen in some of the photos. It ,the larger phaser, was only a one off. The MM kit IS the correct size. The whole idea that John substituted the larger phaser as the MM kit phaser is uterly laughable and a poor attempt to diminish the MM.

This rumor was started to sell more "accurate" kits (which were not accurate) by unlicenced prop makers.

bottomfade.jpg

Second the pictures of the MM build is of an MM kit built as a Hero with full tilt functions like the original Heros. John built two MM kits up as Hero no static models.

Originally posted by franz bolo@Dec 21 2005, 02:49 PM
I just got a Classic Phaser on eBay for $21.00 but I have no clue if I got a deal or not. My son is going to love this toy..

The AA is great, but I think he would break it because it's not that hefty. I assume the Playmate one is built tougher.
[snapback]1140896[/snapback]​

When it first came out the AA listed for about $16 I think. The current edition lists for about $20. At those prices I think it's a pretty good deal. Buy a case of six to save even more. ;)

playmatesphaser.jpg

The Playmates is indeed "sturdier" than the AA. It's built as one solid lump, no separable P1. And look at all those screws. :lol

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 22 2005, 05:06 AM
When it first came out the AA listed for about $16 I think. The current edition lists for about $20. At those prices I think it's a pretty good deal. Buy a case of six to save even more. ;)

The Playmates is indeed "sturdier" than the AA. It's built as one solid lump, no separable P1. And look at all those screws. :lol

- k
[snapback]1141339[/snapback]​

Where can you buy a case of them from?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back