Newbie wants to learn how to build props... please read

Wocka

Hey Everyone here at RPF. I am New Here to the Forum and to props in General. I am Wanting to Learn the art of making replica props, but I have no idea where/how to start. I am looking for some pointers and some ideas, I would like to start with a easier project so that I wont get discouraged and that I will want to finish it. If anyone is willing to give me any kinda of Positive advice and pointer, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you all for your time.
~Wocka

Re: Newbie.... please read

Welcome Wocka,

So many ways to go about it. So many levels of accuracy.

I'd say choose a film/tv show you are interested in. I chose Star Wars first. Then find props from that film you are interested. My first were lightsabers, and Han's Greedokiller, then use the search function here to look for build threads, and see if that seems within your skillset. There are a lot of people here who make things look easier than it is. Just stick with it, and your skills will grow with experience.

Good luck,
DM

I guess it would depend on what skill sets you have already, that could be applied to making replicas. Are you good with hardware? Woodworking? Maybe sculpting?

If you're not sure, start with a kit. There are places around that sell kits, like models, all you have to do is put it together. Kits are what proved to me that I'm not completely worthless at making props.. lol. I can't sculpt worth a damn, I'm only marginally good at building things otherwise, I'm "okay" at painting. But, I can put together a decent kit and have it come out pretty good. :) Then again, I built plastic models as a kid, so that probably helped.

What kind of props are you interested in making? 'Twas lightsabers that got me into this hobby, but I've spread out quite a bit since then.

Start small and work your way up.

As a beginner as well, I've found the biggest limitation I've faced is having the right tools.

And of course, practice with your medium of choice. Things probably won't work exactly how you think it will the first time, and you learn from it and move on. I know I've had my fair share of issues. Also, know the limitations of your media.

Oh, and take your time. I've found that doing things slowly has allowed me more time to think about how I want something to go together.

But yeah, most of it comes down to practice.

OH, and rule #1. Safety! Use a respirator and goggles for most stuff. You probably don't want a piece that you're using a dremel tool on to snap and fly into your eye. Aaaaand you probably don't wanna breath in fumes from paint/bondo/etc.

buy a resin kit of a prop you like.

its filling and sanding.
priming and painting..

youll finish something fairly easily, have something on your shelf to look at, and you can move on from there.

also what are you interested in?

there are a lot of different props, that use alot of different skill sets.

let us know what you want to build and people can give you alot more help.

Prop building is not something that you just learn overnight, or out of a book. It is a long process of success and failure. Here is my suggestion for starting.

1. Find a movie that you really love.
2. Watch it with the remote in hand and when you see something simple that catches your eyes pause it and examine the prop.
3. Make screen captures of the prop.
4. Try to figure out what they used to make it. Most props are made from off the shelf items, IE the ligthsaber was a camera flash ;)
5. Locate the parts you need.
6. Make it.

I know this is over simplified, but you get the general idea. Just start small and work your way forward. My first prop was a resin cast of a real MPP end cap for people that were making hardware lightsabers.

Also, there are several venues to take. Some people like to do Paper Props, some like resin kits and others are even more psycho, they mill parts from metal and other materials. Your level of accuracy is up to you. You can ask here for advice on what parts were used, best method for replicating and so forth.

Get yourself some RTV and some two part resin. Follow the directions and find a small item that is simple and replicate it. This way you can see if "Resin" is your thing.

I could go on for pages but this is a start. I hope to see you present something here in the future.

Welcome.

thomas;)

wow. thank you guys for all your post so far, i really want to do some thing from bttf or ghostbusters, but i was thinking about building a lightsaber i have found some plan and a list of materials need for the job seeing as it was kinda spelled out for me i was thinking about starting there, i also would like to try some thing like map replica and some general paper stuff,
thanks again for all you input thus far, please keep it up, just consider me a sponge.

a sink tube lightsaber?
its a good starter project.
fairly easy. parts are readily avaliable...you can really get it done in an hour or less,

get a dremel, it will make things much easier.

Hey, I am new to this hobby as well. What got me interested was the totems from Inception. It was not too hard. I got a dice and weighted it. A metal bishop and drilled out the bottom (like in the movie), and I am in the process of making an accurate poker chip. Also you can utilize help from friends/relatives in real life. My dad always had me working on or fixing something on our ranch in Wyoming, so I know my way around tools. Unfortunatly as a broke college student I dont have all those tools. For example my Grandpa has a metal lathe and helped me make Cobb's top totem. My brother is an really good artist and over the holidays he is going to show me how to make casts and the basics of sculpting. Start real simple and ask people around you (they know more than you might think) as well as people here.

Last edited:
My first prop ever was also a lightsaber and from there i expanded to a costume to wear the lightsaber on :).
I am a noob with aging paper but maybe you could use a lighter to slightly burn the papers edges and then use a teabag to give the paper a nicer shade of beige.
You should really just go ahead and try things. Thats the best way to learn what works for you and what doesn't.

MTFBWY
-Sjors

Another easy one is a Hasbro E11 blaster conversion using a resin parts kit. The great thing about that one is it involves sanding, bondo, dremel work, and painting. You get to learn a lot of different techniques all in one fairly easy project.

If you have access to a table saw or miter box, the ghost trap from ghostbusters should also be a fairly easy one to do, depending on how elaborate you decide to make it.

I agree with the Hasbro blaster. Gives you lots to experiment with as far as metallic finishes, and then you can have real fun by weathering it.

If you screw up, no big loss, it's not expensive and you can strip the paint off and try again.

With all the great WIP threads here, why not just try a technique without a finished prop in mind? Once you have that tool in your box, it will become obvious how you could use it for a prop you want to build.

Well i Started Getting the Building material for my sink tube light saber, and i am have issues finding 2 thing, doesn't mean that much i just ran out of time, spent most of my time getting parts was wasted looking for that "metal hole plug" (couldn't find it at all, then when i did it wasn't the right size) so tomorrow ill be back at it, again thanks again for all the advice, ill try to remember to take pix of the build, in case you want to see how i did it and want to critique my methods....

what about paper aging and such like the 1885 map form bttf3? would anyone know how to do anything like that?

Dip it in some strong coffee and you're good to go. There are many additional things you can do as well like roasting the page in the oven (WATCH it carefully, too long and you have a fire).

Everyone has their own techniques.

A replica is only as good as its reference. Get as much as you can before touching clay (or whatever materials you are using). Once you feel like you know it from every angle, get your materials and work and work until you're happy with the product.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back