Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    May 8, 2012, 6:34 AM - New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #1

In the movie "THOR", his trusty hammer Mjolnir looked like this:

Now in "The Avengers", we see a new look for Mjolnir:

Btw, my apologies for over-sized images.

In your honest opinion, which Hammer do you prefer? I personally love the new look for its up-to-date look, and main attractions: the metal rings and handle tip cover. I am looking to get one of these hammers to show my love for this guy and want to hear other opinions.

The first hammer is sold by SideShow collectibles for $400.
    https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id...prettyPhoto/1/
    It looks very movie accurate, well, THOR movie accurate...
    It is also the exact size as the actual prop used in the movie. It appears to have sold out through pre-orders, but I think I might have gotten one before it ran out by doing a flex-pay pre-order. Still says processing
    Though I am sure they will be everywhere on Ebay once it gets into the hands of the public.

The second hammer is a prop in the making by EFX Collectibles. It is still in development, though they have the GO from Marvel so we are expecting to see pre-ordering anytime now. Or at least a date for it...
    Price is still unknown (Any more than $400 is crazy)
    Bryan Ono, the President of eFx said it is made from Resin from the 2nd video link.
    eFX Inc. - MARVEL Prop Replicas
    Here are videos on the collectibles they are selling with the hammer in it:
    Wonder Con 2012: eFx Collectibles - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aflp891PGU
    Last edited by MonsterGlue; May 11, 2012 at 4:40 AM.
    May 8, 2012, 7:55 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #2

I actually prefer the Avengers style better. I like the metal cap at the end the color of leather better. Sad thing though is that EFX is doing them. THey are growing to have bad rep with fans from what I hear. I think I'd rather buy one from someone from here rather than them at this point.
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    May 8, 2012, 8:04 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #3

I have to agree that the metal end completes the look of the hammer.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    May 8, 2012, 8:51 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #4

There's a few small differences, but I prefer The Avengers-style Hammer as well.
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    May 8, 2012, 10:48 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #5

I like them both really...hopefully efx's won't break the bank. If it's in the same price range as MR, then I'll try to obtain one. I know MR's hammer is supposed to be made of stainless steel, anyone know what the efx one is made out of yet?
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    May 8, 2012, 10:52 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #6

Avengers style all the way. I wish it had more of a "hand-wrapped" look to it though.
    From
    New York, NY
    May 8, 2012, 10:54 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #7

yeek said: View Post
    I like them both really...hopefully efx's won't break the bank. If it's in the same price range as MR, then I'll try to obtain one. I know MR's hammer is supposed to be made of stainless steel, anyone know what the efx one is made out of yet?
    efx's is supposed to be made of fiberglass or resin.
    From
    New York, NY
    May 8, 2012, 10:55 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #8

I was distraught when the changes were revealed, but the Avengers' version has grown on me. It looks more "finished" and comic-booky than the Thor version.
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    May 8, 2012, 11:12 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #9

Avengers hammer looks better IMO.
    From
    North Hollywood, Ca
    May 8, 2012, 11:18 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #10

I like the beefyness of the Avengers hammer by far.
    From
    N/A
    May 8, 2012, 11:25 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #11

Resin....so I wouldn't think it would be as expensive as the MR version...but you know how that goes. I prefer the Thor hammer...it's the original. Also, I think some scroll work around the new hammer end cap as it is on the hammer head would have looked nice.

Last edited by gofourindian; May 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
  12. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    May 8, 2012, 1:55 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #12

Thanks to everyone above for the info...yep, it shouldn't be priced higher than the MR version if it's resin...hopefully
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    May 9, 2012, 3:28 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #13

Awesome insights! Hopefully EFX's price comes out to be way cheaper than MR's, but regardless their replica appears to be very accurate to the one used in The Avengers.
  14. Member Since
    Dec 2010
    May 9, 2012, 7:54 AM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #14

thats awesome
    May 9, 2012, 1:01 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #15

Resin? bummer... I let the first metal one slip my grasp and I was hopin to be able to buy the avengers version in metal. Seems that's not going to happen. I'm an old guy but I would like to be able to pick it up every now and then and being able to swing it a few times without being afraid of it braking by centrifuge force or falling to the floor and cracking...
  16. RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    May 9, 2012, 1:24 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #16

Since I already have the Sideshow hammer on preorder, I'm hoping someone here makes an Avengers style handle to swap out, assuming the SS hammer head is threaded like the real movie hammers.
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    May 9, 2012, 2:36 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #17

I like them equally but obviously with these movies, it's all about continuity. Mjolnir is the one thing that would never change. I think it was a BS move to change an ancient artifact....especially for a literal move, design-wise.
    Last edited by BlindSquirrel; May 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM. Reason: typonese
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    May 9, 2012, 3:33 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #18

I'm still waiting for the last payment on the MR hammer, i like both versions and will probably get both in the end

For those interested, MR's is up for pre-order again on sideshow, says that there's 30 or less left
  19. RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    May 9, 2012, 3:44 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #19

At least the hammer head stayed the same! I too am a Continuity freak. Had the entire hammer been redesigned, I'd be pretty livid.
  20. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    May 9, 2012, 5:23 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #20

They probably did the change for marketing reasons for Thor and Avengers separately. A slight change in design would mean different licenses and more possibilities for the toys, replica props, etc. Thus, museum replicas and efx can make one but still are not the same.
  21. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    May 9, 2012, 8:17 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #21

BlindSquirrel said: View Post
    I like them equally but obviously with these movies, it's all about continuity. Mjolnir is the one thing that would never change. I think it was a BS move to change an ancient artifact....especially for a literal move, design-wise.
    I agree. In the Marvel world, how do explain Mjolnir changing? Hair, yes. Suit, yes. Hammer? No way.
  22. RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    May 9, 2012, 9:24 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #22

They probably did the change for marketing reasons for Thor and Avengers separately. A slight change in design would mean different licenses and more possibilities for the toys, replica props, etc. Thus, museum replicas and efx can make one but still are not the same.
    Or, the Director was strict on a design change. I'm sure the powers-that-be at Marvel were all about continuity, which may be why the hammer head stayed the same.
    Besides, who's to say that Odin didn't have the hammer refurbished with a new handle wrapping?
  23. RPF Premium Member Funky Jedi's Avatar
    From
    Tulsa Okie-dokie
    May 9, 2012, 9:28 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #23

I have to agree with the masses, the Avengers hammer. For me I just prefer the color of the leather better.
  24. RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    May 9, 2012, 9:33 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #24

Funky Jedi said: View Post
    I have to agree with the masses, the Avengers hammer. For me I just prefer the color of the leather better.
    Not just the color, but the raised ornate details are much more in tune with the beauty of Asgard.
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    May 9, 2012, 11:55 PM - Re: New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer? #25

Hey guys,

Just a heads up that the Sideshow (Museum Replicas) Hammer is now less than 20 units available.

I jumped on it today after they froze sales a couple of days ago due to an inventory check. Its back on now and they have already sold 10 since yesterday.

Good Luck!