New QMX Phaser from Star Trek Into Darkness

jhusel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just got this in and thought I'd share. Pretty cool replica in my opinion! :)
stidqmxphaser.jpg

stidqmxphaser2.jpg

stidqmxphaser3.jpg

stidqmxphaser4.jpg

stidqmxphaser5.jpg

Well since there's now a specific thread about it, I'm pretty disappointed in the quality. The details are all smoothed out, whatever text is engraved in the gun is unreadable. The spinning mechanism on mine at least doesn't function well, the barrel piece doesn't fit properly inside the gun, so spinning it to kill causes the lower part of the gun to bend, and there's no magnet to make it stop in place on the kill side, either, it just wedges in. And then there's the paint job, which just makes it look like plastic. I know they changed it for the new movie and if that was the result then so be it. It may have made the props look better on camera, but as a prop it's less impressive.

Mine arrived warped all to hell. It went straight back in the box and back to Amazon.

Another triumph from QMX!

I received mine yesterday, and to my suprise it was warped to @#%$ as well! My big fear is that if I send it back the next one will be worse.

Stephen

Sounds like the same problems they had with the Mal pistol. :facepalm

Always enjoy jhusel's photos though, so at least there's that from it. :)

Well I hope mine is OK as it will be a pain in the bum having to send it back from Australia. THe previous QMx polystone phaser was just fine.

Overall mine is OK -- save for the rotating barrel. Mine rotates and has the magnets but it is crooked and when you spin it around the kill tip of the barrel hits the underside of the top half and has rubbed off the paint :(

I think this release was kind of a low rent version of their original release. They changed the paint scheme slightly and removed the chrome and added the rotating barrel. I think they are planning a Into Darkness release later next year tat will be more screen accurate as there were changes to the prop not reflected in this one. And it will have a actuator to rotate the barrel. Maybe sound and lights? Here are two quick pics. The first is the Into Darkness Amazon release, the second the ST '09 Stunt phaser.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-11-13 at 3.14 PM.jpg
    Photo on 9-11-13 at 3.14 PM.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 765
  • Photo on 9-11-13 at 3.14 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 9-11-13 at 3.14 PM #2.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 948
All I will say is that these are based on QMx's version of the prop not the heroes in the film which can be seen if you compare them. They are looking to do a limited run electronic "hero" version with actuator next year.

All I will say is that these are based on QMx's version of the prop not the heroes in the film which can be seen if you compare them. They are looking to do a limited run electronic "hero" version with actuator next year.

Right, that is what I had heard.

Greetings guys and gals

Risu I just wanted to chime in here and let you guys know as I stated before.... the QMX "version" of my screen guns are two totally different animals. As for the paint? I did inform Andy, way back, what exact coatings (not paints) I used when I made the hero guns. The issue, IMHO, is the translation in China to match my heros. The heros do not look like toys at all. I spent countless hours designing, building, and finishing the heros so they looked as real as can be. The details were crisp all over the gun. One thing I noticed on the barrels of the QMX replica is the loss of detail on the "kill" side. There is a ton of details there that were lost in China's castings. Also, keep in mind that QMX molds are the ones China made for the replicas from the 2009 replica release but with some minor changes. Those molds were NOT pulled off my hero screen guns. I cnc machined and 3d printed all my parts for the screen guns and never pulled any molds.

I just want you guys to understand the differences and not try to compare the QMX replica to my movie heros. There is a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
The QMX Into Darkness Phaser may have quality issues with some, and it's right to return it for a new one.

Kenney, I am so much looking forward to your release of the "Hero" servo/lights phaser. It's a rare opportunity to have a prop made by the original prop maker. I am looking forward to rewarding you with my purchase for this.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back