Nerf Maverick repaint.

Jannix Quinn

Sr Member
I recently repainted a Maverick. I've been wanting to practice painting and weathering and it seemed a good place to start.

I was aiming for a bit of a 'Robocop' armour look. The handle is more brown than shows in the photo. I did a bunch of washes, drybrushing and the 'black mist' people talk about.

Pretty happy with it. I didn't want to go 'Steampunk'.

Click to embiggen.

I like it. My brother in law did a "western" style repaint of his. There's a lot you can do with these besides the steampunk thing.
I spotted a new nerf double barrel break down shotgun at Toys r us the other day and told my wife I wouldn't have a merry christmas without one...I'm thinking of doing a little homage to Evil Dead with that one

That looks fantastic. I bought one of these myself a few weeks ago and couldn't decide what to do with it. Looks like you've decided for me. Brilliant work.

Stupid question:

What are the best paints to use on this?

Do you prime first?

I'm far from an expert, but I'll tell you how I did it. Naturally, I pulled the gun apart into it's various components. Take a picture of it so you know where everything goes.

I then sanded it back to remove the nerf & maverick logos and then wet sanded it to make it as smooth as possible.

Sprayed with grey primer, though I guess black would be ok too.

I then wet sanded that again and gave it another coat. Later I added the base coat of metallic blue and wet sanded it. Another coat and then dusted it in patches with some metallic silver.

I masked off the handle and sprayed it black.

When it was all dry I washed everything in black and wiped it away so it stayed in the cracks. I did that a few times and then did a very thin wash of brown.

Once all that was dry I started dry brushing in silver on all the raised areas. I also added some brown to the handle and tidied it up.

To weather it I dabbed it with very light brown on a large brush, barely containing any paint. I also used the dusting technique with flat black paint where you hold it a good distance away and just do little 'puffs'. That turned out great.

Coat of flat clear and screwed it all back together. You have to make sure you don't spray the moving parts or you'll end up with it not firing. You'll probably also get some paint wearing on the trigger.

As for type of paint, I just used spray from Bunnings. Primer, metallic blue, chrome and flat black. The brown was just a tube of acrylic art paint I had lying around.

Awesome, thanks for that.

You have done a great job on it. :)

...for once I can actually source the same materials as the builder!

I like it. My brother in law did a "western" style repaint of his. There's a lot you can do with these besides the steampunk thing.
I spotted a new nerf double barrel break down shotgun at Toys r us the other day and told my wife I wouldn't have a merry christmas without one...I'm thinking of doing a little homage to Evil Dead with that one

I'd love to see pictures of the "western" version.

I started to repaint on a while back, but it got set aside after I took ti apart and well, I lost parts and so it got pitched. But with Christmas only a couple days away, they're cheap right now. I might have to make another go of it.

I'd love to see pictures of the "western" version.

I started to repaint on a while back, but it got set aside after I took ti apart and well, I lost parts and so it got pitched. But with Christmas only a couple days away, they're cheap right now. I might have to make another go of it.

I'll have to see if I can find pics...He did wind up doing a steampunk one for his daughter for the FanExpo, I'm just not sure if he reused the western one, or did a second one.

Wow. I love how that turned out. Every time I see one of those Mavericks at the store, I imagine how cool it would look re-painted. I wish I had the patience to do one right like that.

So did you guys paint one up?

I'm actually working on 3 ATM. The first of which will be based heavily on "The Dreameater" Maverick my nephew found picks of, despite my insistence that I didn't want to copy a gun.

I'll post up pics once they are done, but I'm performance modding them before I paint, so it'll be a bit.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back