Nerf Gun Props? YES!

Some REALLY amazing work here, folks! I've been wanting to get back into doing some custom weapons, and you've all inspired me to get back into it when the funds come. Gonna have to make me a fancy version of that Longshot, I guess.

Don't know if anyone posted this, but I found it while doing a search for the Longshot.

Fifteen Custom-Built Recycled Nerf Guns - 1-800-Recycling

That's awesome, always glad to hear they get someone motivated to make something. Make sure you share it or anything else you might have photos of! I've seen that link before and wish I had been around back when it was published :) Meandmunch is a friend on deviantart.com and he's got some really great pieces. His only limit is the time that he can spend making them. Thanks for sharing it again for the newer folks!

Brian

Oh cool! I need to find out where to get one of those... it would be perfect for a project I'm working on!

hiya! fellow board member, wondersquid, has the resin rhino revolvers.
i modified mine a bit to be more 'energy weapon' than 'projectile firing' though :)
good luck with your project!!

This is my first attempt at repainting/distressing a nerf type gun.
249650_10150178139873199_550753198_7087404_5811676_n.jpg

250906_10150178139918199_550753198_7087406_4660319_n.jpg

250331_10150178139978199_550753198_7087408_6661852_n.jpg

Here's one of mine. I call it the E-65 Caliber. The base is a buzzbee doubleshot gun, the boba style barrel is scratch built from 2" PVC, Resin T-tracks, little resin details and paint job with desert weathering. Enjoy

After seeing Batjeepster's Green lantern Construct nerf gun, I picked one up today for GL modding. Do they make nerf bullets in black or green?

Tomorrow I'm hitting craft stores looking for metallic emerald paint for the orange bits..

Here's one of mine. I call it the E-65 Caliber. The base is a buzzbee doubleshot gun, the boba style barrel is scratch built from 2" PVC, Resin T-tracks, little resin details and paint job with desert weathering. Enjoy

Very nice job. I've got enough parts now that I think I'll be doing more mash-ups akin to this. Well done :)

Very nice job. I've got enough parts now that I think I'll be doing more mash-ups akin to this. Well done :)

You should. Start looking at attaching more pieces to guns that aren't already too busy visually, and isolate and emphasize all the different parts on the guns that already have a lot going on. Like this one from the above article:
Firefly1.jpg

Man, looking at all the other ones on this page makes me want to redo the NERFs that I've already modified. Over the last month I'd been taking various NERF guns and spay painting them a flat black, then adding detail with gold and silver rub n' buff on finger tips. Compared to the ones up here however make them look mediocre. I'll just have to keep practicing.

I found this website while listening to Monday's episode of Backyard FX where Zack mentioned that this was a community that he got inspiration and advice from. I can certainly understand why. (y)cool:D

I'll post images of a few of what I've got before the redo when I get a chance.

Man, looking at all the other ones on this page makes me want to redo the NERFs that I've already modified. Over the last month I'd been taking various NERF guns and spay painting them a flat black, then adding detail with gold and silver rub n' buff on finger tips. Compared to the ones up here however make them look mediocre. I'll just have to keep practicing.

I found this website while listening to Monday's episode of Backyard FX where Zack mentioned that this was a community that he got inspiration and advice from. I can certainly understand why. (y)cool:D

I'll post images of a few of what I've got before the redo when I get a chance.

Thats really cool, RPF has been a great place for me to meet folks interested in the same stuff I enjoy. I started this particular thread in January and I'm still inda shocked that there's over 50 thousand views already. All the other great pieces give me a fresh perspective on guns that I've become very familure with, which is a great thing. Helps me to try new color schemes :)

What I'm up to this weekend...

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6799.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

IMG_6801.jpg

Just getting the prep out of the way, but I should be moving right along on these this coming week. I've also got another halo-esque stampede in the works that should be done by the end of the week as well. Fun stuff! ;)

Hope all you fathers are having a great day!

I just finished my first Nerf repaints. I figured I would post them here instead of starting a new thread. Hope that's okay.
There's nothing all that original with these, I'm just imitating the great work I'd seen done by others. But they were fun to do and I'm happy with the way they turned out.
I've got several more in the works...

The first thing I did was to sand off all of the Nerf logos and the "made in China" text, etc. To me, those logos really distract from an otherwise nice repaint. Then I filled in all of the screw holes with epoxy, since those holes tend to give away a toy vs. real gun. Some people don't want to do this since it means you basically can never open up the gun again to do repairs or mods. But for me, these guns are visual props first and Nerf second, so I didn't mind.
(This pic is of my Vulcan all sanded and patched as an example. More pics of that gun when I finish it.)
View attachment 56709
This is the epoxy I use. (It's from Home Depot). Along with it are two of the paints I used - Duplicolor grey primer and Duplicolor black primer (I also tried out the flat black Krylon Fusion but didn't really like it).
View attachment 56708
My first gun was a Nerf Recon. I've seen extended barrels on these and like the look of it, so I decided to make myself a Recon sniper rifle. For the longer barrel, I found a threaded piece of pipe at the hardware store that happened to fit perfectly. I was actually able to screw the threaded end in to the end of the recon barrel, screwing it in to the plastic so that I didn't need to use glue or anything. For the business end of the barrel, I found a slightly larger piece of pipe that I was able to fit over it the other one. There was a bit of a gap between them, but I filled this in with epoxy on both ends, which also held the end onto the barrel. The plastic piece was tapered with threads so I used a dremel tool to sand down the threads a bit and make them less obvious.
View attachment 56695
Once the barrel was in place, I realized I liked the look of the gun better if I extended the magazine down. So I glued it in that way. At this point the gun is no longer usable for Nerf, but that's okay. I prefer the way the extended mag looks. I sprayed the whole thing with flat black primer:
View attachment 56699
Next, it was time for some silver dry brushing to give it a weathered look. I may have overdone it a bit on the weathering, but here's the finished gun:
View attachment 56701View attachment 56702View attachment 56703
For my second gun, I did a Nerf Longshot. I basically left this one as it was out of the box with no mods (but I chose not to add that second pistol grip on the front barrel, or the spare magazine in the stock). So this one is still fully nerf fucntional.
As before, I started with a coat of flat black. Then, I carefully masked off all the areas I wanted to keep black and sprayed it with some grey primer. (I'd seen some two-toned paint schemes like this on other Longshots and really liked the look).
View attachment 56696
Here it is after the two paint colors have been applied.
View attachment 56697View attachment 56698
After this, I added a wash of black to get into the various recesses and add some grime to the rest. I could have gone heavier with this, as it turned out pretty subtle, but this one is going to be paired with a sci-fi costume that isn't heavily weathered, so I didn't want it to look TOO battle-worn.
View attachment 56700
Finally, I did some silver dry brushing on this gun as well. here is the finished product:
View attachment 56704View attachment 56705View attachment 56706View attachment 56707

Question:
What do you Nerf repaint pros use as a top coat to seal in your paintjobs and prevent the paint from chipping? (Bearing in mind that I don't have access to an airbrush). Thanks for any tips, and thanks for all the inspiration.

What I'm up to this weekend...

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6801.jpg

Just getting the prep out of the way, but I should be moving right along on these this coming week. I've also got another halo-esque stampede in the works that should be done by the end of the week as well. Fun stuff! ;)

Hope all you fathers are having a great day!

Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. If you don't mind me asking what are the brand/vintage of the dart pistol and revolver in the above pictures?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back