Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    Apr 30, 2007, 9:02 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #151

What kind of prep do you do for the plastics on the Nerf guns?

Much/any sanding, special primer to get paint to stick to the plastics?

Thanks in advance.

Don
    Obi_don
    Last edited by Obi_Don; May 1, 2007 at 6:16 AM.
  2. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    May 1, 2007, 6:16 AM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #152

bump
    From
    St.louis,Mo
    May 6, 2007, 8:37 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #153

Don, most of those Nerf guns and just about most all other toy guns are either styrene or ABS, they are quite receptive to enamel paint with only a little sanding. Some of those guns also might have oil contamination due to a small amount of lube put on the working parts when they are made...though most toy mfg's aren't that thoughtful it does happen form time to time. Most conscientious painters will wash down the plastic with soap and water or give it a wipe down with denatured alcohol as a last step before painting for this reason.
    The kind of plastic that is really picky about paint is PTFE (milk jug type plastic) Usually used in blow molded guns, like the reservoir tanks on super soaker type guns. That kind of plastic needs to be scuffed well with sandpaper and then primed and painted with Krylon fusion paint (or similar).

M
    From
    New Jersey
    May 7, 2007, 2:48 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #154

Totally mindblowing work! I thought the two pistols were kit bashes but their just paint and fill mods! Crimeny! They'd look perfect in Starship Troopers or HALO or something. Dude, you are amazing!
    May 7, 2007, 11:10 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #155

Ann's Crafts and Things here is closing out there Krylon Fusion paint and I bought out their entire stock of Flat black at 1.97 a can. It works well on painting vinyl too. So I need to find more stores with it because I have a bunch of projects that I want to do with it including one super soaker mod.
  6. RPF Premium Member Funky Jedi's Avatar
    From
    Tulsa Okie-dokie
    Jun 7, 2007, 6:11 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #156

jangomontes said: View Post
    Great Thread. I actually just started to paint these 2 guns for a quick MIB costume for Dragoncon. This is just the first coat of chrome, I am not finished yet. Gonna do a second coat and a clear coat as well to lock in the color. Without a flash the guns are totally chrome looking. The flash gives away the color underneath. I am using a product called mirrachrome. Applying it with a airbrush. The smaller gun was the liquidator super soaker and has meshing added to it where the water bottle use to be. The bigger gun use to be a ping pong ball type of gun. It actually has a built in flash when the trigger is pulled. I'll post some more pics up when finished. For now:

So I gotta know, what maker has these two models?
    From
    Leeds, Yorkshire, sunny England.
    Jul 13, 2007, 1:57 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #157

Quick bump to put out a Nerf blaster B.O.L.O. for all those still after the small Anime/manga style pistol Matsuo painted up so well.
    (It's called the 'Scout', BTW, from the 3 in 1 set. and also the Tech Target set).

There are nerf knockoffs out there!

Bought this here in the UK. Has all the trademark info & badges removed already! So if you don't like all that sanding & filling, you're good to go!
    Plastic is hard, more like ABS plastic maybe?

That's the paintjob it comes with. Not too sure of the pale metallic blue, but the black with gunmetal looks nice.

The real bonus is that the middle 'barrel' (the bottom one is a dart holder) is a Laser pointer! Two AA batteries go in the grip and lights up when the trigger is pulled (like on the Night Finder blaster).
    Easily removed and used on something else.

The box it comes mounted stated the blaster has 'Infra Red light' so I just expected an LED. Neat little add on.

There's a Night Finder knockoff that has the laser too, painted in the same colours.

I might grab a few more of this one while I still can!

Coz.
  8. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Jul 13, 2007, 2:14 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #158

I'd like to find some of those near me. I never even found the Nerf gun outside the set. Though I heard they made it available.
    From
    ossian, indiana
    Jul 13, 2007, 2:38 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #159

walmarts got that one shown above in a single and a couple others, the maverick that had a crap load of so naturallu I had to grab one, just need a cool idea of what to make it out of.
    From
    South East
    Jul 15, 2007, 1:40 AM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #160

i decided to give this custom painted Nerf thing a try so i got a Longshot and paint her up sorta Morita/Pulse rifle...

so far I have modded it , just paint... and a shtt load of weather... all the "bright" spots are the silver weathering.... i wanted it to look beat up..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nerf4.JPG 
Views:	306 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	4425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nerf.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	4426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nerf2.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	4427  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nerf3.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	4428  
  11. Keeping my lousy nickname RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Jul 15, 2007, 5:22 AM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #161

Combat Gerbil said: View Post
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jcoffman99 @ Apr 12 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]1461077[/snapback]</div>
    Try nail polish remover...
    Nail polish remover is often acetone, or ethyl-acetate -- which is chemically very close to acetone.
    Acetone dissolves most plastics, so be careful! If a plastic can be painted then acetone will also dissolve it to some degree. Acetone is often the solvent used in the primer itself, which could also have helped it bond to the plastic.
    I think it would be better to paint over than to remove the primer.
    From
    The Void
    Jul 15, 2007, 6:15 AM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #162

Coz said: View Post
    Quick bump to put out a Nerf blaster B.O.L.O. for all those still after the small Anime/manga style pistol Matsuo painted up so well.
    (It's called the 'Scout', BTW, from the 3 in 1 set. and also the Tech Target set).

Bought this here in the UK. Has all the trademark info & badges removed already! So if you don't like all that sanding & filling, you're good to go!

That's the paintjob it comes with. Not too sure of the pale metallic blue, but the black with gunmetal looks nice.

The real bonus is that the middle 'barrel' (the bottom one is a dart holder) is a Laser pointer! Two AA batteries go in the grip and lights up when the trigger is pulled (like on the Night Finder blaster).

The box it comes mounted stated the blaster has 'Infra Red light' so I just expected an LED. Neat little add on.

There's a Night Finder knockoff that has the laser too, painted in the same colours.

Coz.
    Hey Coz you couldn't grab me one too while your at it, been looking for one of these puppies in the UK for ages, PM me if you can!

Roughneckone
    Jul 15, 2007, 1:42 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #163

Coz said: View Post

Coz.
    Coz. Where did you buy it in the UK, and for how much? That's be so easy to make it look good. Just a bit of work on the trigger, drill out the "screws" and replace them with nice little brass ones and then hit it with a killer paintjob. Please, pleeez let us know where this beaut came from!
    From
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Jul 15, 2007, 2:02 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #164

I wish I could get that one here in the US. I don't want to have to buy the nerf 3 pack just to get that one gun.
    Jul 16, 2007, 6:41 AM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #165

Yeah, I am interested in that one too. Over here in Malaysia, we have that Maverick knock-off a few months ago. You can view it on my blog but most of the pictures are gone as Blogger only allows you a maximum of four photos per blog. Unfortunately, I can't find the laser version, though. Still, its exactly like the NERF read-deal except for a bit of painting.

http://chowfookcheong.blogspot.com/2...n-is-here.html
    From
    Leeds, Yorkshire, sunny England.
    Jul 16, 2007, 12:35 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #166

Sorry guys - the toy stall in the market where I got it has sold out of this version - I hope they get more in.
    They had more of the Nite Finder style, apparently. Oddly, the NF version has the same internals and slide (see box pic). Weird.

I'll keep an eye out, and keep pestering the fella for more!

The knockoff is imported by OWT International, then OWT Europe (in Ireland), according to the sticker on the back.

Google search brings this up, but I got no idea how to go about ordering 'em!
    http://gbcode.tdctrade.com/han3/2/1/...xhiblist_o.htm

Here's the display box both the Scout and the Nite Finder variant come in:

Coz.
    Jul 16, 2007, 2:04 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #167

The things overseas factories get away with!
    Jul 16, 2007, 2:59 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #168

Treadwell said: View Post
    The things overseas factories get away with!
    And the really funny thing, this company is probably the same one who makes them for Nerf!
    Jul 16, 2007, 2:59 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #169

My point!
    From
    New Jersey
    Jul 16, 2007, 3:30 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #170

Man, I gotta expatriate. All the best toys are against the law here.
    From
    Ohio
    Jul 16, 2007, 3:45 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #171

David: Your Longshot looks very nice! It's the best camo job I've yet seen on a LS, and you're also one of the few to bother painting the smaller front gun.

I wish you'd sanded off the warnings and logos before you'd started though. It really does make a tremendous difference.
    Jul 17, 2007, 8:21 AM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #172

Treadwell said: View Post
    My point!
    Sorry Jay, your point flew in low with the sun at it's back and caught me by surprise.
    From
    The Void
    Aug 18, 2007, 2:31 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #173

Thought you guys might be interested in seeing how my Nerf Scout turned out (supplied courtesy of Coz).

I drilled/filed out the front vents, did a re-paint including a lot of silver drybrushing which doesn't really show up so well in the shots' I think it gives it a nice Colonial Marine/"Space above and Beyond" look (as Coz pointed out).

On the mod's, it now has a working power indicator which activates when you hold the grip, I replaced the original (rather yucky) laser/red dot with a much more powerful one, added a Tac light and a scratch-built scope. At the same time I also reworked the Nerf part of the scout to to fire "stefans".

I'm very happy with it as I've always really loved the "anime" look of the Scout so it's great to finally have one of my own.

One image is with flash and the other is without so you can see the lights better, LMK what you think guys?

Roughneckone
    From
    Australia
    Aug 18, 2007, 2:39 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #174

Love it, Roughneckone!
    From
    Off-world colonies (or as I like to call it: Florida)
    May 16, 2008, 5:51 PM - Re: Nerf gun paint job... #175

Thread necromancy as a new potential contender enters the fray.

BEHOLD.

And only 40 bones...