My ROTJ Boba Fett helmet

kalkamel

Master Member
Hi all,

I've always wanted an ROTJ helmet to go along with the ESB helmet I did up 3 years ago. So armed with Tamiya rattle cans I set out to do my latest project. I used the topical style since I'm more confident of controlling the weathering this way compared to the layered method. Besides, that was how I painted my ESB helmet 3 years ago.

Basic colors were spray painted on (rattle cans, baby! :p) and details hand painted.

Anyway, on to pics:
rotj1.jpg

rotj2.jpg

rotj3.jpg

rotj4.jpg

rotj5.jpg

Side by side with my ESB helmet:
comparison1.jpg

comparison3.jpg

comparison2-1.jpg

faceoff.jpg

A big thanks to Chris aka Fettpride for helping me out with the rangefinder and stalk as well as for the pics of his ROTJ helmet at his site which I used for reference, since I found it hard to get good reference pics of the screen used ones.

What? No comments? I think you really nailed the ROTJ weathering. You did a great job. That being said i see that you've might have used the same green base color and red on both the ESB and the ROTJ. The danger with spraycan colors is that in most cases you have to compromise and pick the color closest to the one you need. Some brands have a big variety of colors, but most have not unfortunately. I believe Montana (Graffiti spraycan brand) have the biggest range. I like the dark blue on the cheeks and the green found on the rear. Both of these looks spot on. The green looks good to me, but it's hard to tell from the photos. The red is what stands out the most. It should maybe be more maroon or a little more purple?

Anyway, top-notch paintjob!

What? No comments? I think you really nailed the ROTJ weathering. You did a great job. That being said i see that you've might have used the same green base color and red on both the ESB and the ROTJ. The danger with spraycan colors is that in most cases you have to compromise and pick the color closest to the one you need. Some brands have a big variety of colors, but most have not unfortunately. I believe Montana (Graffiti spraycan brand) have the biggest range. I like the dark blue on the cheeks and the green found on the rear. Both of these looks spot on. The green looks good to me, but it's hard to tell from the photos. The red is what stands out the most. It should maybe be more maroon or a little more purple?

Anyway, top-notch paintjob!

Thanks for the compliments, guys! :) Mke, being in my neck of the woods, my choice of spraycan colors was very limited. Most of the local brands only offer glossy main colors and none were suitable for this helmet. Luckily, Tamiya spray cans are also available here so I made use of their selection. The base color for the dome and mandibles was Tamiya Olive Drab 2. The navy blue for the cheeks and the green for the back were also Tamiya and I think they close enough. The red is actually not as vibrant as the pics make it to be... I had to choose between Mica Red and Dull Red and went with the latter. Mica Red would be more appropriate for an Iron Man helmet than this one. I did find Krylon Maroon, but it was waaay too dark and didn't look right to me.

DH, the lid is a resin (fortified with fiberglass) SgtFang Mystery helmet.

Seeing those side by side really makes me realize how much more I like the ESB---though you did a great job on both. Wish I had that kind of patience!

Looks great to me. The colors on the ROTJ are much closer to the movie one IMO than the ESB. It has that olive tone to it that the ROTJ has.

Looks great to me. The colors on the ROTJ are much closer to the movie one IMO than the ESB. It has that olive tone to it that the ROTJ has.

Thanks, Bob! :) I think one of these days, when its nice and sunny, I'll try to take some outdoor pics to give a better representation of the colors I used.

Last edited:
You finished it already? Wow!
Nice one sir,although i cant comment on the paints because i almost know nothing about Fetts :p
But i can comment this,when its made out for trooping,handle with care baby:lol
Wish i can tackle it someday too :thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back