My last Cap shield ... seriously!

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my just completed movie Captain America shield. The build and paint process is similar to my previous threads, but I used some upgrades.

I used the Duplicolor Metalcast paints for the colors. But this time I took the shield to a professional auto painter who shot a coat of acrylic polyurethane auto clearcoat on it. And WOW what a difference. The rattlecan clears I had use on my previous shields were VERY fragile and didn't take much to scratch or nick them. This clear coat feels bulletproof and is smooth as a babies butt. Totally worth the extra $70 the guy charged me.

This version also has my waterjet cut brackets and color accurate straps. Now having done three of these, I'm pretty burned out on Cap shields. I think I'm going to keep this one around.

http://www.therpf.com/f13/captain-america-movie-shield-bracket-systems-143264/#post2193101

http://www.therpf.com/f13/metal-movie-cap-shield-stars-129717/

http://www.therpf.com/f9/metal-movie-cap-shield-budget-done-final-128238/

http://www.therpf.com/f9/version-2-0-movie-metal-cap-shield-134819/

Attachments

• DSC_0656.jpg
    DSC_0656.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,842
Last edited:
Who are you kidding you'll do another. ;) lol
So same brackets that are on the way then? :cool
Yes I have been saying the Automotive clears make a huge difference since day one, I'm an autobdy tech by trade so it's all I use on the important stuff. Looks perfect.

Yep, these are the same brackets from my recent run ... well, except for the clearcoat. Same leather and buckles too.

Last edited:
As usual Valor great work. Did you have the auto paint shop clear coat the star seperately before attaching or did you stick the star on first? Did you ever figure out that fingerprint residue problem you were having?

As usual Valor great work. Did you have the auto paint shop clear coat the star seperately before attaching or did you stick the star on first? Did you ever figure out that fingerprint residue problem you were having?

Yes, and I'm glad I did. THe star look much more finished when attached. I'm pretty sure the fingerprint issue of my previous shield was either due to using crappy acetone, or that the clear I was using was laquer clear coat – which never really "dries".

Honestly, and I swear this isn't going to lead me to making ANOTHER shield, the only nagging though I have with this, is it might be TOOOOOO good looking. Like TOOOO glossy. I know the real shield was more of a matte finish at times. But ... I must push those thoughts out of my mind :)

Honestly, and I swear this isn't going to lead me to making ANOTHER shield, the only nagging though I have with this, is it might be TOOOOOO good looking. Like TOOOO glossy. I know the real shield was more of a matte finish at times. But ... I must push those thoughts out of my mind :)

:lol

I wasn't going to say it!

Give it a nice even wet sand with 2000 grit if you find it too glossy. Just watch your eges as they will break though about 4x faster than the flate surface. If that doesn't look the way you want you can polish it back up in a few minutes. Just a suggestion though. :)

Give it a nice even wet sand with 2000 grit if you find it too glossy. Just watch your eges as they will break though about 4x faster than the flate surface. If that doesn't look the way you want you can polish it back up in a few minutes. Just a suggestion though. :)

Great suggestions Fin. I might take you up on it once I'm done admiring myself in the mirror-like finish :)

I know what you mean, I had my shield clear coated by my wife's cousin who owns a body shop. It came out super glossy to the point that it pretty much looked like a car paint job.

Either way.. making ANOTHER shield is no bad thing. It's still fun and a challenge to improve upon yourself with each successive build

I can't stress enough though the difference in durability that a pro clearcoat gives. It's a catalyzed finish that is INFINITELY tougher than any rattlecan clear. WELL worth doing in my book. It's possible an auto painter could spray a more matte finish clear. Or, as Finhead suggested, you can knockdown the gloss on your own.

And on that note yes you can spray any variance of gloss to matte you like, you just add more or less matting agent to the clear coat. I used it all the time mostly a few years ago when the satin black was all the rage on the Harleys etc. You could wet sand it down with some 1000 grit and get the same guy to give it a few coats with a little satin clear. That is the nice thing about 2K anything it fully dries so there is zero chance of issues to go back in a paint or touch up blend in or spot.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back