My Hasbro DH-17 Mod

Donny V

First time modding a toy, did this back in October. Had a lot of fun and thought I'd share the results. I may have went a little overboard on the weathering, but I can always repaint.

Actually, looking back on the pictures, I think I like it better before the weathering...

Enjoy!

nice job! Pretty solid work with putty, im still learning to finish it off well on any project.
Paint job is pretty cool too, was there a silver undercoat, or was that done afterwards?

Nice work. I enjoy working on these. What did you do for the silver color? In spray paints, I've used different shades of aluminum and metallic. Actually had good luck with chrome color - while that would be disappointing if you sprayed something looking for a chrome look, it worked well on these.

If you still feel you've gone overboard with the weathering, try gradually misting on some more black in different areas and for different durations until your liking. A little on the grip and back half of the receiver may go a long way.

I've done too much weathering in the past, and reeled it back in that way. And ended up re-weathering some of it after the mist, but not near as much. The end result, I thought, looks like old wear, a repair in the field, and fresher wear.

Nice idea also on filling in the seam, I had not thought of that.

Thanks for posting!

Paint job is pretty cool too, was there a silver undercoat, or was that done afterwards?

No silver undercoat. The silver was added on top of the black using the drybrush technique

What did you do for the silver color?

I used Krylon Matte Aluminum for the barrel and ejection ports, and Testors silver for the weathering.

If you still feel you've gone overboard with the weathering, try gradually misting on some more black in different areas and for different durations until your liking. A little on the grip and back half of the receiver may go a long way.

I may try that, but I'm thinking of starting from scratch with the paint. Painting was the easiest part of the project and would take less than a few hours to redo.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back