My Fifth Element Multipass build - TONS of Pics

Re: My Fifth Element Multipass (build)

Wow thats awesome, i tihnk i need one, but modified to be a business card holder lololol

Ok, on to the rod.

Make a trip to your local discount/dollar store or walmart and find a set of cheap frames with the small plastic ear pieces with the light-dark pattern.

web.jpg

Remove the ear piece.

web.jpg

Next, straighten out the frame wire.

web.jpg

Clip off the eyeglasses arm so you have something to hold onto.
put the curved ear piece on the straightened wire up to the curve.

web.jpg

Boil some water and hold the ear piece in the boiling water for a 10-15 seconds.

web.jpg

Gently bend and push it on each time you heat it up (be careful, it doesn't get too hot but it might be a good idea to wear some kind of hand protection)

After you get it all the way on and straight, hold it in the boiling water for a few more seconds then immediately put it under running cold water, this will 'set' the plastic to the strightneted shape. Check for straightness and heat up, bend, and set again if necessary.

web.jpg

Then cut the plastic and the wire to length and you're green.

web.jpg

And thats how you get the screen accurate, funky multicolored rod.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come. :)

-Charles

Looks good Charles. I use white styrene in the earpieces for my builds but the wire looks great too. I have not found any sunglasses with them. The only glasses i have found with that mottled color earpieces are the magnifying eyeglasses like you bought. They look at you weird when you buy 5 or 6 pairs of those things. :lol

Charles that is just an incredible build up. Thanks for sharing the tips on the plastic rod. I had searched ebay for ages looking at knitting needles and all types of things to find that piece.

Your idea about making the pass look like it accepts a slide in card section is great. It made me wonder if it was possible to actually make it like that. Does anyone know if you could print the graphics directly to a piece of styrene?

Where did you get the grommet for the pass?

Looks really good Charles. Did you come up with that earpiece idea or did you pick that trick up somewhere else?

Thanks guys. :)

It'd be a little tricky, but you could totally make the card section of the pass removable.

The grommet is actually an eyelet typically used for paper, They can be found in the scrapbooking/stationary section of most craft stores.

web.jpg

That set has both bare and antiqued brass, steel, and copper.

The antiqued brass looks great right out of the box.
web.jpg

Looks really good Charles. Did you come up with that earpiece idea or did you pick that trick up somewhere else?

Matt posted an Idea he had about it on his blog (here)

I set out to find something and found the glasses with just the mottled color earpieces.
Im sure that its exactly what they used. If you look at the book scan photo you can make out the wire inside and the gold-ish hue it has.

I did!! Do you know how boring it is to search ebay listings of knitting needles etc?! It was before that thread when i bought a mulitpass kit a couple of years ago..and again when Matt offered the latest run

I did!! Do you know how boring it is to search ebay listings of knitting needles etc?! It was before that thread when i bought a mulitpass kit a couple of years ago..and again when Matt offered the latest run

Boring? Try searching for the covergirl item that Zorgs secretary is holding. I've tried searching through covergirl makeup 3 times and just can't get through it. Funny i have no problem going through 80000 airplane parts.

Ok, so maybe you thought "why do we need to see how to do the battery cover again?"

Well, I thought I'd share my discovery. :)

Im talking about screen accuracy, screen accuracy that proves out so much other stuff that it gives you that prop high you get when you know you've done something right - followed in the original prop makers footsteps - not only does it look the same as the original prop, but it was built the same way as the original prop.

To start off with the Screen Accurate battery cover, you first have to trace part of the back plate onto some styrene the same thickness as the battery cover disc, the thickness to get is 0.040".

web.jpg

Cut that out.

Next, lay the main body card over the back plate and trace the rectangle notch for the LED/wire compartment on to the back plate.

web.jpg

Cut that out also.

web.jpg

Next take one of the spare rings or discs and notch it out so the small back plate you cut out fits in the right spot.

web.jpg

Clean up both parts so the battery can sit down in it.

web.jpg

Glue on the outer disc to hold it all together.

web.jpg

web.jpg

By now you're probably wondering what in the hell Im telling you to do.

Ok, lets back up for a minute and check out some screen caps.

Airport scene right after Korben shows up and pulls David's Multipass out of the slot. When he pulls it out and looks at it, its upside down.

web.jpg

The thing that is very cool about this shot is that you can see the screws that hold the battery cover on. Here is a detail image of that shot:

web.jpg

Pretty neat huh?
Ok, back to the build. :)

Holes marked.

web.jpg

Holes drilled and countersunk.

web.jpg

And back photos of my completed one not previously shown.

web.jpg

web.jpg

The things I found out in doing this were pretty neat.
1) the LED seemed to sit too high on other builds, some ground down the hight off the back of the LED to make it sit right, but that obviously ruins any possibility of making it light up. With cutting out the notch in the back panel and having the LED sit directly on the new battery cover it allows the LED to sit at exactly the right hight (compare my reveal photo to the screen cap in the 1st post^)
2) The battery cover now allows for complete LED/electronics access, When building the original pass the propmakers would have built them for easy access to change the LED or make repairs.
3) The screws I found that have the same size head on them fit perfectly in the thickness of the pass except for the thinner area by the LED, if you screwed it in all the way it would poke out the front of the pass. Guess what is directly above that screw on the front of the pass?... yep, the little red strip. I am certain they put that little detail on there not only to liven up the front of the pass, but to also hide the screw hole.

I think that about does it for the battery cover, feel free to ask any questions. :)

-Charles

Last edited:

Wow, these just keep getting better and better! It's like if you build one and then look at someone else's build you learn things to do on the next one, then same after that until you have a bunch of passes all at different levels of accuracy.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back