Mummified Vampire Heart

Propnomicon

I'm a traditionalist. Vampires don't sparkle. They're horrible, damned abominations.

This started as an attempt to recreate the look of an old school sideshow attraction. The heart itself was made using vintage gaff techniques and was finished months ago, but it wasn't until last month that I finally figured out how to recreate the classic aging treatment. The large hole in the left auricle is where the stake entered the heart. Along the top you can see the stubs of the major vessels (pulmonary artery, aorta, superior and inferior vena cava) from when the heart was cut from the creature's chest.

mummifiedvampireheartcloseup1.jpg

mummifiedvampireheartcloseup2.jpg

mummifiedvampireheartreverse.jpg

Here's the finished presentation.

mummifiedvampireheart4.jpg

mummifiedvampireheart2.jpg

that looks great! Who's Auguste?

Shockingly, I just made him up. Heh.

He's one of the possible explanations for the Louisiana cult scare of 1912, a series of multiple mass murders that actually occurred. Close to 40 people were killed over a period of four months, but today only historians and a few amateur investigators even remember it happened.

Shockingly, I just made him up. Heh.

He's one of the possible explanations for the Louisiana cult scare of 1912, a series of multiple mass murders that actually occurred. Close to 40 people were killed over a period of four months, but today only historians and a few amateur investigators even remember it happened.

So cool. I love stuff like that. Have you ever read the book, The Professor and the Madmen? No, there's no vampires in it, but it might be something you'll enjoy. It's a true story about the creation of the Oxford dictionary. The guy who helped create it killed a bunch of people and then got locked in an asylum.

Love it. Have you considered putting it in an aged glass jar to give it a preserved look? ...or would that be too Pirates of the Carribbean?

That is nasty.

Awesome, but nasty :lol

Very cool sculpt! I was kind of surprised it wasn't in a display jar of some sort though.

Any chance you will be offering casts of the heart itself?

Chris

That is nasty.

Awesome, but nasty :lol

Very cool sculpt! I was kind of surprised it wasn't in a display jar of some sort though.

Any chance you will be offering casts of the heart itself?

Chris

This is the first gaff I've done that wasn't in a jar. Oh, how I love icky critters in a bottle. Heh.

I may have some copies available once I get the Heart-O-Matic cranked up to speed.

So cool. I love stuff like that. Have you ever read the book, The Professor and the Madmen? No, there's no vampires in it, but it might be something you'll enjoy. It's a true story about the creation of the Oxford dictionary. The guy who helped create it killed a bunch of people and then got locked in an asylum.

I absolutely love historical gems like that. Fiction can rarely compare to the real weirdness in the world.

Cool! Pre-Valentine's Day gift idea. Is the text inside the lid the story of how the vampire was "Put Down"?

Yes. It mentions some of the circumstances around the cult scare and incorporates a supernatural explanation for what happened. Vampirism seems just as good a reason as any considering the killer, or killers, were never caught. Some of the investigators still looking into it think the killings continued all the way into the 1970's, which makes the idea of an immortal vampiric minion that escaped all the more believable.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back