Millennium Falcon - Ship of Riddles

Robi-Wan

I've seen a lot of discussion about the discrepancies between the interior and exterior of the Millennium Falcon. How the interior set doesn't fit inside the exterior set.

Have any of the talented artists on this forum ever considered designing an interior that actually fits inside the exterior set? Or even designing an exterior that would accommodate the interior? For example, if you walked inside the full-size Falcon set from Empire, what would the rooms really look like? Or if the exterior was actually built around the interior sets, how different would the design of Falcon look?

I think it could be an interesting challenge.

Thoughts?

The tough part imo would be finding room for both a credible enough storage space to make it a "freighter" and at the same time getting that big engine that all star wars hyperspace ships seem to share (ie not the ties and the death star which apparently rolls through space).
I know about all the other problems with luke's esb entry hatch and escape pods and what have you, but this has always been my main concern.

lol

This would be very much similar to the phrase that comes to mind for me, (which annoys the crud out of my wife when I use it):

I don't have a response to that. :)

If you want to surprise your wife with a different response some time, you can use it, you have my permission. :)

The Tantivive 4 (i probably butchered the name, sorry) that ship that gets chased by the star destroyer at the beginning of A New Hope was going to be the model used for the Falcon, that's actually why it is so unusually detailed for the 30 seconds we originally see it. One of the production designers noticed that the model looked a lot like the Eagle from Space:1999, and so they built the Falcon we now know and love. Literally, the only change made to the blockade runner after this decision was that the conical Falcon cockpit was replaced with the familiar hammerhead one. So to answer your question, the interior sets fit perfectly inside the blockade runner.

No, the interior sets were designed and built after the decision was made to change the ship. Also, the radar dish was another transplant from the original "pirate ship" model.

Really interesting thread, I don't have any background to offer, but I would LOVE to see ideas too!

No, the interior sets were designed and built after the decision was made to change the ship. Also, the radar dish was another transplant from the original "pirate ship" model.

They also had to change other details and repaint the Tantive IV model because of the new smaller scale. It originally had little footprints and other marks on the hull.

The outside of the ship would be vastly distorted to fit the interior as seen on screen. The saucer section would have to be more than twice the thickness and oval shaped.

Concept artist Nilo Rodis Jamero did some studies before ESB to figure out how to make the interior fit the exterior. It involved making the main room more triangular/trapenzoidal in shape.

STAR WARS AFICIONADO MAGAZINE: ILM CLASSIC IMAGE: JOE JOHNSTON'S FALCON

I've illustrated several books detailing the Falcon's official interior which involves several compromises and a few cheats to look right.

Star Wars Blueprints: The Ultimate Collection
Star Wars Blueprints: The Ultimate Collection: Ryder Windham: 9780756638696: Amazon.com: Books

Millennium Falcon 3-D Owner's Guide:
Star Wars: Millennium Falcon- A 3-D Owner's Guide: Ryder Windham: 9780545210386: Amazon.com: Books

Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
The Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual: Star Wars (Haynes Manuals): Ryder Windham, Chris Reiff, Chris Trevas: 9780345533043: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:
My kid has a layered book that slices through the MF allowing you to see the different levels. I'll see if I can find it and scan all the pages.

Now we're getting somewhere.

My kid has a layered book that slices through the MF allowing you to see the different levels. I'll see if I can find it and scan all the pages.

I have that book, too. It's a really nice look inside the ship.

Concept artist Nilo Rodis Jamero did some studies before ESB to figure out how to make the interior fit the exterior. It involved making the main room more triangular/trapenzoidal in shape.

STAR WARS AFICIONADO MAGAZINE: ILM CLASSIC IMAGE: JOE JOHNSTON'S FALCON

I've illustrated several books detailing the Falcon's official interior which involves several compromises and a few cheats to look right.

I have no problem with the looks at the interior that have been published. lonepigeon, your illustrations are excellent!

I saw the Joe Johnston sketches in Steve Starkiller's thread. I like that take on the interior. It definitely makes more sense.

I'm mainly curious what it would like it was a complete, real ship. Keep the comments coming!

Star Wars Blueprints: The Ultimate Collection
Star Wars Blueprints: The Ultimate Collection: Ryder Windham: 9780756638696: Amazon.com: Books

Millennium Falcon 3-D Owner's Guide:
Star Wars: Millennium Falcon- A 3-D Owner's Guide: Ryder Windham: 9780545210386: Amazon.com: Books

Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
The Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual: Star Wars (Haynes Manuals): Ryder Windham, Chris Reiff, Chris Trevas: 9780345533043: Amazon.com: Books
I own 2 out of these 3, and hope to own the 3rd soon, and I must say for a fictional ship this is top of the line, honestly there isn't much more you can do after compiling the info of all three. And no matter what, due to the several books, and such about the falcon and other YT's there will be minor discrepancies, and lets face it even major irreconcilable problems with the ship, but these layouts, are the best, and have combined as many factors as possible into one believable ship, and given that they are the current official versions and how detailed they are, I imagine they should be considered the end all be all of Falcon blueprints. So in response to the OP's question, these books are your answer.

Sure, I get that there have been a lot of very good looks inside the ship. It seems that these artists have done a great job of figuring out all the contradictions and such.

My query was about figuring out what would actually fit inside the full-size sets. Like the one built for "Empire". What would the rooms look like if they had to fit inside it? Would there even be enough room to stand up? I understand that the "Empire" set wasn't even full-scale.

And then on the other hand, how distorted would the exterior look if it was built around the full-size exterior sets?

Thanks for all the comments, though.

I've seen a lot of discussion about the discrepancies between the interior and exterior of the Millennium Falcon. How the interior set doesn't fit inside the exterior set.

Have any of the talented artists on this forum ever considered designing an interior that actually fits inside the exterior set? Or even designing an exterior that would accommodate the interior? For example, if you walked inside the full-size Falcon set from Empire, what would the rooms really look like? Or if the exterior was actually built around the interior sets, how different would the design of Falcon look?

I think it could be an interesting challenge.

Thoughts?

The Full Scale Millennium Falcon Project | Don't worry, she'll hold together…

We're on it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back