Mcquarrie concept Stormtrooper 1:1 WIP Helmet UPDATE 9-8-07

skygunbro

I started this sculpt awhile back and have been working on it here and there over the past few months.
This sculpt is based more on this pic:
sabertrooper.jpg

I used a DP standard TK helmet as an armature but now that its bulked out its about the size of one of the more accurate TK helmets.
I will get this sculpt done and smooth it as best as possible and make a mold then do a cast and pull a hard copy to clean up real good to be my master then another master mold will be made to produce the final helmet.
Because there are so many variations of the Mcquarrie TK helmet sketches and usually only one angle of each I am going to take some creative liberties for the back of the helmet probably using the 3 3/4" Mcquarrie Stormy action figure to get some ideas.
This vesrion is very close to the Mcquarrie saber trooper pic you always see the only real differnce is the eye area.
Some liberties will be taken to make this wearable as I am also doing the full armor set in the near future.

I have finished bulking out the sculpt now I am sculpting in some details.There are still some symetrical issues which will be addressed later.

PICT0036.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

I have alot of other shots of this from the side etc. and will post those later.Its hard to take a pic of this green clay cause if you use flash it washes out everything.
The bottom of the jowels in the pics appear to big but its the angle of the pics.And like I said above this is an early stage sculpt.
I need to taper the jowels in toward the center a bit and bulk out the dome a bit more to make the proportions better.

Last edited:
Brilliant. I've been waiting for ages for someone to do this. I'd have had a crack at it myself but sadly I don't have the space any more.
Great work mate, can't wait to see the finished piece.
If you ever feel the need to do the concept snow trooper you'd definitely get my support.

Beautiful. I love seeing McQuarrie's work brought to 3D reality as he was so inspirational not just for Star Wars but for anyone that loves film art.

Looks great so far can't wait to see it done. The Hasbro figure has a good ref pic on the card I'm sure your aware but just in case. :thumbsup

Thanks everyone I love the Mcquarrie stuff as well. I also have in the works the Mcquarrie Fett helmet based on one of the concept pics and the new 3 3/4" Hasbro Mcquarrie Fett figure due out in a week or so. Ill post up some pics of that helmet as well.
RPF user Imaginager did a beatiful Mcquarrie stormy awhile back His was a little different than the one im doing but it was sweet looking.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skygunbro @ Mar 27 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]1449263[/snapback]</div>
Ill be posting some more pics of this in the next day or so.Does anyone have anymore reference pics of the armor?
[/b]

Proabably the same stuff everyone else has...:

Stormtroopers.jpg

I've always wanted someone to make one of these (i have no sculpting ability.)

I know McQuarrie has a website (or a site devoted to his work) somewhere, but the images are low resolution.

Edit: Here's the site: http://ralphmcquarrie.com/galleries/SW/sw.html

Hope this helps.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Mar 27 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]1449304[/snapback]</div>
Let's pray that Kotobukiya does one these in 1/6 scale. :)
[/b]

The 1/6 helmet has already been made by a member a few weeks ago.

@Skygunbro

Great effort so far ...

But if I might say, the McQuarrie helmet is not as bulky as the production used one. So you might want to tone down the tusks a bit.

Michael

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManfromNaboo @ Mar 27 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]1449314[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Mar 27 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]1449304[/snapback]
Let's pray that Kotobukiya does one these in 1/6 scale. :)
[/b]

The 1/6 helmet has already been made by a member a few weeks ago.

@Skygunbro

Great effort so far ...

But if I might say, the McQuarrie helmet is not as bulky as the production used one. So you might want to tone down the tusks a bit.

Michael
[/b][/quote]

yeah its a early stage sculpt so the jowels wont be the way they are now just bulking them out for now.Plus because the Mcquarrie helmets are so narrow and peeky some liberties will be taken to make it wearable .Just not so much where it ends up not looking the way it should.Ill just shoehorn my head into it.

Also member clutch who posted here made some beautiful 1/6th scale Mcquarrie display helmet awhile back which at some point Id love to get a set of for my collection.

Sah-weet.. I can't wait to see the results of both the stormtrooper and the fett. I hope you'll do a run. I'd be happy to add them beside the Mcquarrie C3PO and Vader..

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back