Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    cambridge england
    Dec 13, 2012, 4:16 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1951

cant someone edit that flyer for a laugh....its kinda similar if you shut one eye , approved by stevie wonder , there was over 30 boards this doesnt match any of them lol
    Dec 13, 2012, 5:42 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1952

Lucked out at HobbyLobby and found pink fur, and hotpink/lime velcro. Been thinking it over, but how difficult do you guys think it'd be to lift up the "Movie accurate" stickers and put down a print of Roland's stunt board decal?
    From
    Indiana
    Dec 13, 2012, 6:03 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1953

To help lighten the mood of this thread here's a picture of my four month old daughter.

4. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Dec 13, 2012, 6:10 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1954

I got mine today. It's still in the brown box. I don't know if I want to open it or not after reading everyone's response.
    From
    Florida, U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2012, 7:04 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1955

Tron Unit said: View Post
    You just can't please everybody.

Why hoverboards will never be any fun | DVICE

Did anyone get the miniature hover board with their order? Are they being shipped separately?
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    From
    Michigan
    Dec 13, 2012, 7:06 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1956

I got one with mine, it was in the box...
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Dec 13, 2012, 9:19 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1957

*****mass return day set for next wednesday, 12/19/12. Spread the word!!!!!*****
  8. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Dec 13, 2012, 11:20 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1958

Got mine today, my hopes were way down. But I like it
    From
    Raleigh, NC
    Dec 13, 2012, 11:55 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1959

[QUOTE=Vivek;2635302]"Scott Neiltich has answered the questions that people wanted answered.

The question was...

"If they could make a board 23 years ago with a lenticular surface, how come Mattel couldn't do one in 2012?"

His Answer.

"Because the boards made "23 years ago" were expensive hand made props. The 2012 mass produced manufactured toy needed to come in at 120.

Adding a lenticular would have skyrocketed the price. Lenticulars are large extremely expensive. We did look into it and could not find a way to make it work and still deliver an affordable toy.

Making this comparison is honestly not fair. You are comparing a hand made film prop with a high budget to a mass produced toy for 120/130. It is not apples to apples at all.
    "

I'm pretty sure my $5 Trapper Keeper from 1988 had a lenticular cover. Just saying.

Note: I have no dog in this fight. Glad I forgot to pre-order all those months ago. I feel bad for all those that didn't forget.
    From
    United States
    Dec 14, 2012, 3:02 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1960

nairbsillim said: View Post
    *****mass return day set for next wednesday, 12/19/12. Spread the word!!!!!*****
    Stuff like this is too far.

There's nothing wrong with returning a board to show you're not happy with the product. But a mass return day is getting dramatic.

If you want Mattel or anyone to take the complaints seriously, doing something like that isn't going to help, nor is it going to make a blind bit of difference.

Especially considering the boards being returned are being returned from people all over the world. So none of them will even arrive at the same time.
    From
    UK
    Dec 14, 2012, 5:05 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1961

Awesome! Bit more work an maybe we will be there by 2015.

A Real, Working Hoverboard Exists
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Dec 14, 2012, 8:15 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1962

Here is some pictures of my Mattel HB with added green velcro , Black screws and New Foot Strap. Still need to add new green velcro on foot disk to match. It will display nice from the top , and not much more can be done without a total re-build.http://imgur.com/P1dPS
    http://imgur.com/qxpb1
    Last edited by BTTF123*; Dec 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM.
    Dec 14, 2012, 8:22 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1963

BTTF123* said: View Post
    Here is some pictures of my Mattel HB with added green velcro , Black screws and New Foot Strap. Still need to add new green velcro on foot disk to match. It will display nice from the top , and not much more can be done without a total re-build. imgur: the simple image sharer imgur: the simple image sharer [url=http://qxpb1]imgur: the simple image sharer[/url
    Where did you score the velcro and fur? Is it ashesive velcro? If not, what kind of gluing method did you use? Thanks a million!
    Dec 14, 2012, 8:31 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1964

I second the questions. How did you attach the new footstrap? Fantastic job! Much improved. Jake, I just got some of both at HobbyLobby, might be worth a shot if you've got one near you.
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Dec 14, 2012, 8:35 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1965

JakeBluesZombie said: View Post
    Where did you score the velcro and fur? Is it ashesive velcro? If not, what kind of gluing method did you use? Thanks a million!
    JakeBluesZombie
    Hey, The Velcro is painted with a special paint that want scratch off and had the Fur saved for this. I am thinking of making ( Kits ) for people to buy that will be ready to put on their HB from Mattel to make it look this way. All you would have to do is peel and stick the Velcro on the board, will be cut to size and shape for post hole ect. Will also add in the foot disk Velcro that will be easy to put on. Foot strap (On the Mattel Board )will have to be cut in the middle at the top of the strap and then trim off about 2.5" , as it is way too long. Then my foot strap will be ready to Hot Glue it, not very hard to do. Thanks!
    Last edited by BTTF123*; Dec 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM.
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Dec 14, 2012, 8:41 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1966

I'm in for 4 of those kits. Send me your PayPal address and the amount including shipping to Canada for it, I will purchase immediately.
    Dec 14, 2012, 9:05 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1967

That's awesome!
  18. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Dec 14, 2012, 9:22 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1968

Fenderf4i said: View Post
    I'm in for 4 of those kits. Send me your PayPal address and the amount including shipping to Canada for it, I will purchase immediately.
    Hey, LOL cool ! Let me build up some stock and make up some kits so they will be ready to go. I am going to lighten up the green Velcro some I think, not much lighter though. I will also have instructions on the layout by numbers on the board and Velcro to apply. Can also send a cheap Glue Gun with sticks, so anyone that does not want to have to pick one up will have everything needed. I will post on Ebay in a few days, Thanks!
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Dec 14, 2012, 9:26 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1969

Here is the Back w/Black screws. imgur: the simple image sharer
    From
    Indiana
    Dec 14, 2012, 9:30 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1970

I am thinking of making ( Kits ) for people to buy that will be ready to put on their HB from Mattel to make it look this way. All you would have to do is peel and stick the Velcro on the board, will be cut to size and shape for post hole ect. Will also add in the foot disk Velcro that will be easy to put on. Foot strap (On the Mattel Board )will have to be cut in the middle at the top of the strap and then trim off about 2.5" , as it is way too long. Then my foot strap will be ready to Hot Glue it, not very hard to do. Thanks!
    I'll take a kit (minus the glue gun)!!
  21. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Dec 14, 2012, 9:34 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1971

I like it, however I dont think I am going to mod it too much, I want to keep it stock for collecting purposes. but looks nice.

I have to admit i was really caught up in the anger mob mentality, but after getting mine, I really like it. It could have been better but it satisfies my urge to own the BTTF hoverboard. Looks live in my living room, and is instantly recognizable to the common person. I am moving on to my proton pack build. Good luck with your mods
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Dec 14, 2012, 10:15 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1972

kyle0914 said: View Post
    I like it, however I dont think I am going to mod it too much, I want to keep it stock for collecting purposes. but looks nice.

I have to admit i was really caught up in the anger mob mentality, but after getting mine, I really like it. It could have been better but it satisfies my urge to own the BTTF hoverboard. Looks live in my living room, and is instantly recognizable to the common person. I am moving on to my proton pack build. Good luck with your mods
    Sure, I understand and 100% with you. I did buy another one Dec. 4th to keep MISB and wanted one to add custom touches to, as it was crying for help. The Strap on the Mattel board just kills me, as I watched a youtuber say "it was sized to fit a Elephant's foot.. ?" LOL
    From
    Mira Loma, CA
    Dec 14, 2012, 10:40 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1973

Sure, I understand and 100% with you. I did buy another one Dec. 4th to keep MISB and wanted one to add custom touches to, as it was crying for help. The Strap on the Mattel board just kills me, as I watched a youtuber say "it was sized to fit a Elephant's foot.. ?" LOL
    As much as I love my board, I too agree that the strap is a joke. I either want to switch it out for fur or at the very least, resize the existing strap. How did you change out yours? I can't find the mounting screw for the green footpad...do I have to remove the magnet to find it?

-Jonaas
  24. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Dec 14, 2012, 10:41 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1974

I agree they dropped the ball on the footstrap. Ha after I got it I posted a pic on my facebook. Half the people who have commented on it think it really hovers.
  25. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Dec 14, 2012, 10:45 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #1975

Received mine today. More of the same... Decals are bubbled/creased and peeling up on the edges.