MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Hey Clock88, I had one of these on preorder and Im dissapointed at the inaccuracies but comparing the logos - how certain are you that Roland's is spot on? Mattel did measure the board - did Roland do that too?

Just thought I'd check

His graphic is perfect.

Here is a gif of Roland's graphic and the real prop (there will be a little distortion from the lens and board angle)...

sJopmn.gif

Last edited:
Here is the prop with the Matty board. Again, some of the color changes and things are understandable because they were trying to give it a "hero board" look... but none of the other 30 boards logo signage looked like this (squished yellow stripes, skinny font, distorted lettering, etc.). They are just saying that as an excuse. They could have copied the board they had perfectly, but they decided to do their own thing...

JTf6aF.gif

Amazing. Nice work on those animated gifs Clock88. One day I have to learn how to make those.

Sigh..... yet another thing wrong that we didn't know about until now, unless I missed it in previous discussion. If they got the overall length of the board correct at 28 inches, why in the hell did they squeeze the graphic? It just doesn't make sense.

And if that's not bad enough, that "yellow" looks gross. It always bothered me when I saw fan-made boards with that lime-ish looking yellow-green instead of proper golden yellow.

Those comparison shots are pretty neat! I kept my board and just hope that there aren't any air bubbles underneath the sticker or that it isn't misaligned. For some reason I always get items that are screwed up one way or the other. Accuracy issues aside (I am well aware of those).

Ideas for upgrading the Matty Collector Hoverboard

Turn this:

9mY7N.png

Into this:

NfGEQ.png

1. Print Roland's logo to fit board.

2. Scan the bubble material on board.

3. Print and apply bubble material over Matty's hoverboard logo (vinyl decal would look good).

3. Apply Roland's logo.

4. Apply matching color yellow stripes at the end of the board.

4. Apply 1 inch green velcro to board and footpad.

5. Replace pink velcro with fur footstrap.

Done!

Excellent comparison.
I was feeling good about the board until that gif popped up :(

I'd like to see someone try your suggestions. Although if I could source the parts im sure I could make the changes I'm not sure id want to just in case something went wrong and also it would no longer be the official Mattel one (i'm a bit anal like that!).
If I had two of them id defiantly have a go.

I really wish I had known about Hoverboard Replicas before they stopped selling them.

I see this board as a disaster for various reasons.

1. They over hyped it without knowing really how Mattel works (i.e...naive marketing employee) :facepalm

2. The initial team that measured and photographed the screen used boards were pulled off the project early on. :facepalm

3. The notes from this team were either lost or not used by the new team. Why? Maybe #4? :facepalm

4. Too many egos involved in this project. Anyone that has worked on a detailed replica that needs to hit collector standards knows that egos need not apply. Especially if those egos are marketing and not creative. :facepalm

5. There was time to fix many of the errors (spotted by people here) but the changes were rejected OR just not noticed. I spoke to a few people there and they honestly could not tell the difference between A and B. These same differences had collectors cancelling their orders. :facepalm

6. Mattel did not want to take responsibility and answer their customers inquires. That is a separate disaster that is more on a corporate level. :facepalm

7. They spent way too much time and effort on the "toy" elements of this board instead of focusing on the accuracy. That’s where a lot of the money went that could have created real lenticular film for example. But....it slides on the ground. :facepalm

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Dave :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly see a market for some kind of upgrade "kit". I realize you are going to be stuck with the magnets no matter what, but the graphics and foot strap can easily be corrected.

Wasn't someone figuring out a proper lenticular for the hoverboard? If so, I have a couple ideas I'd like to bounce off them specifically related to the Mattyboard.

-Gary

Ideas for upgrading the Matty Collector Hoverboard

Turn this:

9mY7N.png

Into this:

NfGEQ.png

1. Print Roland's logo to fit board.

2. Scan the bubble material on board.

3. Print and apply bubble material over Matty's hoverboard logo (vinyl decal would look good).

3. Apply Roland's logo.

4. Apply matching color yellow stripes at the end of the board.

4. Apply 1 inch green velcro to board and footpad.

5. Replace pink velcro with fur footstrap.

Done!

@Clock88

Thanks for those comparison pictures. I'm appalled that I obviously was able to do a better job in just one night than those highly paid Mattel designers in months. :lol

I honestly see a market for some kind of upgrade "kit". I realize you are going to be stuck with the magnets no matter what, but the graphics and foot strap can easily be corrected.

Wasn't someone figuring out a proper lenticular for the hoverboard? If so, I have a couple ideas I'd like to bounce off them specifically related to the Mattyboard.

-Gary

This is why I will be purchasing a board at 9am PST......

Yes I'm an Aussie, which means I will be staying up till 4am to make the FRIKIN purchase lol

I will be applying new lenticular decals over the top of the ****ty matty one

I believe that even after all this the reason they even failed on the graphic of the board is, the recessed velcro channels that were part of the mold, so certain angles and widths set in stone and couldn't be changed without changing the mold (and if they did that they could have fixed everything) so they just tweaked the lenticular bubbles, and called it a day.

If you wanted to fix a matty board, here is the way I see you can do it in 10 easy steps no less :p
1. strip off velcro and graphics
2. fill in recessed channels
3. paint board better shade of pink
4. sand off writing on battery pack (and repaint)
5. apply Roland's graphics (and/or real leticular)
6. apply proper velcro
7. repaint magnets or at least the holders, because they are to red (I recommend rust colored primer with a gloss clear coat as someone else said earlier in the thread)
8. paint handle hold black
9. add green velcro on top of foot pad velcro and have it go all the way to the edge of the pad
10. cover or replace the fuzzy velcro foot strap with fur

Bouns step 11. If you want hard mode, when you fill in the recessed velcro channels also remove the foot pad and fill its spot in too. Then custom make a new one to go on top that will be right.

And, after all this you'll have a decent hover board, but the sizes of the magnets are still off and can't be fixed that easliy, and if you are a person that prefers the angled not rounded top bevel that most boards seem to demonstrate well you are s.o.l. there too. Sad to say that no matter how you try and fix this board there are limitations to it, and even it you went as far as finding a way to remove the magnets and holders too for replacement, well that means that you just paid $130 for a hover board deck that still requires a lot of work.

Long story short, if you don't care about accuracy, or just want it as a collectible, that's great and I make no arguments with you. If however you want to get this board in hopes of fixing it please don't, the amount of work/money you put in to it you can build you own deck, buy magnets and have Roland's graphic printed cheaper.

Honestly, from looking at it... it looks like the whole placement of the footpad really messed everything up. They had to move the logo forward and squish it... this in turn made them angle the lower yellow strip in a strange way.

Last edited:
And if that's not bad enough, that "yellow" looks gross. It always bothered me when I saw fan-made boards with that lime-ish looking yellow-green instead of proper golden yellow.

Fluorescent yellow was used for the lenticular boards, while a more subdued goldenrod yellow was used for the photoboards.

Look how bright the yellow is on these lenticular boards:

In some pics, fluorescent yellow tends toward green, like in this screen cap of a lenticular board:

mcflyjacket.jpg

Just one more way they mixed elements of lenticular boards with photoboards to create this thing.

I pre-ordered just one board w/mini HB and will do this to it. It will not fix it all, but will help it some for a better display of the top area.
Add 1" neon lime green Velcro to top graphics to match the foot disk. Cut out the foot strap and add in a correct Fur strap, paint the post hole black, (on the Back) Remove Battery cover and remold it to size and shape then paint. Will see if red brackets can be replaced and put new ones on. I guess that is about all that can be done without just doing a ground up rebuild. I will display it from the top, not showing the back of the board .
On Pixel Dan's Board, I even saw Air Bubbles (Bumps) under the grapics , very crappy.

Mattel just turned it into a Toy, not a prop replica as sold to us. I know it was a toy in the future, but it didn't look like this, LOL !
On the box art, they should have showed Handlebars on the box, as it was a Hover Board Scooter for a Girl, not just a Board.
I feel just like someone stated here, would have loved to have the Lenticular plastic and not the sounds we got.

Hey bttf123..... Was it you who was selling the lenticular decals on eBay? I know you sell the boards from time to time, but I've seen just the top and bottom stickers (proper lenticular form) sold separately for something like $40

Just curious if you plan on doing/selling them again....... If it was you in the first place lol

...You have a stylized board that is not accurate, that cannot be stood on, that has effects like sliding, if you do slide it it damages the display surface, sound that you cannot easily turn on and off....

I wanted to push this point further. If you intend to demonstrate the gliding, make sure it is on CLEAN carpet. The polished plastic surface is very soft and easily scratched by the tiny bits of crud on your carpeting.

Don't go gliding this at your office or hotel unless you like a scratched up plate on your new board.

Fluorescent yellow was used for the lenticular boards, while a more subdued goldenrod yellow was used for the photoboards.

Look how bright the yellow is on these lenticular boards:

In some pics, fluorescent yellow tends toward green, like in this screen cap of a lenticular board:

Just one more way they mixed elements of lenticular boards with photoboards to create this thing.

Interesting. I agree it does look more green in those pics. I guess it's like our previous discussion about the color of the lenticular... purple vs pink. My memory, and most pics I see of the hoverboard shows it being yellow, so that's what it "officially" is in my mind. Whenever I see the lime-green on a replica, it looks wrong somehow. I wanna say that even the hero close-up shot of when Marty first holds it up after taking it from the girl shows it with purple writing on a yellow background. And that was an all-lenticular board, right?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back