Subscribe
  1. P.I.F.? IT'S ALIVE!!!! RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Jul 18, 2012, 6:00 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #401

egoing said: View Post
    This thing looks like crap. Mattycollector continues to insult the intelligence of their consumer base. I am PISSED that this thing is not damn near perfect, considering Bob Gale had the actual prop(s) and the SFX supervisor Michael Lantieri consulted with Mattel.
    They could careless who is insulted by their choices. All inaccurate and previous items sold out in hours. They know these are already sold out via pre-order... So why should they give a crap? They know people will snatch them up no matter what they look like.
  2. Whoa, this is heavy. RPF Premium Member Roland's Avatar
    From
    Kehl, Germany
    Jul 18, 2012, 6:22 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #402

Moviefreak said: View Post
    ... They know people will snatch them up no matter what they look like.
    Fortunately not all people.
    Jul 18, 2012, 8:07 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #403

I pre-ordered one BECAUSE of those videos they shot which highlighted they were striving for accuracy...
    Jul 18, 2012, 8:11 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #404

alienscollection.com said: View Post
    I pre-ordered one BECAUSE of those videos they shot which highlighted they were striving for accuracy...
    This right here. And they seemed to do a good job with ghostbusters.
    From
    Sylvania OH
    Jul 18, 2012, 8:18 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #405

As my first post on this thread and others centered on, I am hoping that as this is a work prototype, they the real issue is that they have lacked in communicating the latest work on this project and that the quality and accuracy is not the issue but rather the marketing and communication.

Given their track record, I have confidence in the final product.
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Gnarnia, Tx
    Jul 18, 2012, 8:40 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #406

tripoli said: View Post
    As my first post on this thread and others centered on, I am hoping that as this is a work prototype, they the real issue is that they have lacked in communicating the latest work on this project and that the quality and accuracy is not the issue but rather the marketing and communication.

Given their track record, I have confidence in the final product.
    Definitely. They are a HUGE company, and they should have everything they need to make this perfect(though I do not expect it 100%)
    If they need to push back the release date to improve the product, then DO IT.
    I'm not going to pull out my pre-order because I still have hope that they can fix (most of) these problems, and if they do, it's worth the price.
    If they don't fix it by the release date I'll sell the mini board and toss the big one infront of a train
    Jul 19, 2012, 6:15 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #407

We can hope!
    Last edited by Clock88; Jul 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM.
    Jul 19, 2012, 9:10 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #408

Here is a render I did of the hero hoverboard (from scratch). I used the the best possible measurements and was able to get a vector drawn of the actual hoverboard logo. The colors are 100% accurate from years of researching, and the lenticular art is a copy of the exact material used in the film

This is not the printed stunt board. This is the hoverboard that was used in all the opening hero shots.

This is the one I want.

http://i.imgur.com/Dhgeb.jpg
    Jul 19, 2012, 2:20 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #409

Comparing the Lenticular Hero Hoverboard to the Stunt Hoverboard:

From
    India
    Jul 21, 2012, 7:05 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #410

Matty forum member Ojobenito has followed up his previous post with another detailed guide listing all the possible flaws along with great reference pictures all combined into a single image file.

The definitive guide to spotted Hoverboard flaws. - Topic

"Hi guys.

I had some time and I wanted to make a guide to Mattel and to all of you about the flaws I've spotted on the different versions of the hoverboard replica. I think maybe it's too late to fix some of them, but maybe some can be fixed.
    I made a post some days ago, and now I wanted to add some more things to it and make it more vissually appealing.

I've made the guide in a huge image (it's a 2,7mb vertical jpg), but it was easier for me to add photos and things like that.
    I hope you like it, you read it (it's long, I warn you), and I hope someone from Mattel can take a look and do something if there is still time. I don't know.

Also, I've found this video of one of the best conserved original hero hoverboards, from the collection of Screenused. In the video you can see all things I write about in the image, as the velcro stripes, the spacings, etc. Please take a look:
    ScreenUsed Mattel Hoverboard - YouTube "

11. Whoa, this is heavy. RPF Premium Member Roland's Avatar
    From
    Kehl, Germany
    Jul 21, 2012, 10:26 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #411

A good "guide". But Ojobenito made one big mistake: he just compared with the stunt board and not with the hero board too. There are big differences between these two boards. Example: the yellow spacing between "HOVER" and "BOARD" is correct at Mattel's prototype, if you compare it with the hero board. And the yellow corner IS higher at the hero board than at the stunt board.

I have a good solution for Mattel, if they want to use my files: I'm just working on the vector graphics for the Hoverboard decals. Both, the hero and the stunt version! And as usual, you will get them for free download after I finished my work. Here's my first preview:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_preview.png 
Views:	50733 
Size:	600.6 KB 
ID:	104701  
    Last edited by Roland; Jul 23, 2012 at 7:28 AM.
    Jul 22, 2012, 2:18 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #412

For the love of God someone show them this thread...

...and Roland:

amazing work.
    From
    India
    Jul 22, 2012, 6:03 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #413

Roland said: View Post
    A good "guide". But Ojobenito made one big mistake: he just compared with the stunt board and not with the hero board too. There are big differences between these two boards. Example: the yellow spacing between "HOVER" and "BOARD" is correct at Mattel's prototype, if you compare it with the hero board. And the yellow corner IS higher at the hero board than at the stunt board.
    That's right, he compared it only with the stunt board, but mentioned that they got it right for their previous prototype.

At this point it's a given, there is no way Mattel is going to spend the extra time and effort to do the honeycomb lenticular patten. For mass production they are going with graphics only and no velcro. So the stunt board will be their real hoverboard reference.

I hope they prove me wrong when it arrives in December. If not, I am canceling my order. To verify the credit card, they debited the amount when the original order was placed and then it was reverted back to the account after a week. Cancelling won't be a problem as there is no refund process involved.

And Roland, your work is fantastic .

That accurate design and the countless suggestions given by members here and elsewhere is practically spoon feeding Mattel for their research work, which they should have done months ago.

It's disheartening to see that a movie prop which had captivated the imagination of people (including kids) since the late 80s is getting such terrible treatment during product development.
  14. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Jul 22, 2012, 11:26 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #414

There's a guy on ebay selling that sells hoverboards and the handle bars. Both of them together would be $281 icluding shipping, but it's WAY better than What Mattel is doing.
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Portland, Oregon
    Jul 22, 2012, 11:43 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #415

I can accept many of the inaccuracies with a mass produced replica like this, but the big one that makes me regret having ordered one is the lack of the real lenticular pattern.

BTW, its "caliper" not "caliber"
    From
    Sylvania OH
    Jul 22, 2012, 1:04 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #416

They noted they were going to add a real lenticular at one point, I hope they do come through on that.
    Given the points above, it is hard to imagine them not correcting and getting this right. It would be by pure laziness if they do not make such corrections.

More over, if they do mess up on a good track record, then there WILL be a fallout on future ordering of other prop items. I do know that if they do screw this one up, I won't make a quick leap on the GB goggles, which in the prototype stage have a few glaring problems as well. If they also screw this one up, NO ONE will want to ever advance order with them again and I am sure right now if they tried to do so with the goggles, they order numbers would be very low as the time to get the corrections done on the HB is tight. Since the marketing cannot figure out the production volumes, that was the best alternative to getting a good estimate of interest.

Worse, Matty communications right now is tighter than a clam as they have had numerous post in the Matty Q&A section of their own forums and not a single word since the showing. The silence is just as damaging after a great start initially.

Matty, if you are reading this, do it right. That starts with communicating to the fans your direction on this, followed by taking the time to do it right if needed. That will be much more warmly appreciated than the silence now followed by a poor replica in the future. You started it right, keep that momentum going forward.
  17. Whoa, this is heavy. RPF Premium Member Roland's Avatar
    From
    Kehl, Germany
    Jul 22, 2012, 3:16 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #417

MitasTouch said: View Post
    There's a guy on ebay selling that sells ... the handle bars. ...
    Where? I can't find it on eBay.
    Jul 22, 2012, 3:30 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #418

19. Whoa, this is heavy. RPF Premium Member Roland's Avatar
    From
    Kehl, Germany
    Jul 22, 2012, 4:07 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #419

Thanks! I had searched for "handlebars" instead of "handle bars".
    From
    Nottingham, United Kingdom
    Jul 22, 2012, 6:00 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #420

oh thats bttf123 i have his board that he did a few years back, still think he did the best boards to date, shame he will not ship worldwide anymore.
  21. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Jul 23, 2012, 6:38 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #421

Hi guys!

I'm the one who made the image/guide that was posted on the mattycollector forums (and now here).
    I just wanted to write a couple of things. First, I want to thank everyone who took a look at my image and made comments about it.
    Second, I want to clarify a couple of things. It has been said that I got some errors on the guide because I just compared some things with the stunt board and not the hero board (the Hover and Board words' spacing, for example), but I have a reason for it.

Bob Gale showed Mattel people a couple of hoverboards. One of them was a stunt board for long shots. No velcro, less detail, and even no bottom part with the magnets and all of that. The other board may be a stunt-type board, but it was used for close shots. It's much more detailed, with velcro on the green and red/pink stripes, the bottom part was complete, etc.

In my opinion THAT is the hoverboard that must be "valid" for Mattel. They may or may not know about the existence of the hero board and its differences with the stunt board. But Bob Gale show them a very detailed original hoverboard (stunt type), and that is what should have been the reference for Mattel. Bob Gale showed them that hoverboard and Marttel people measure it and took notes about how it is made (with velcro, the battery pack, the spacings, etc)

So, in my opinion, the hoverboard that must be made is the hoverboard like the one Bob Gale showed them. So, the spacings in the letters should be there, the honeycomb pattern must be scaled down, the velcro applied, etc), even if the hero board was different. Mattel shouldn't even know about those boards.

What I can't understand is how they screwed up things that were properly done on the prototype version, it was the same on the originals, and after seeing the originals, Mattel changed it, like the holes in the battery pack. It has no explanation to change it if it was ok on their prototype.

Well, I won't put my hopes on Mattel delaying the product to fix it. I really think that the sdcc version under the display was the final model (yes, even with the non-holographic sticker that they promised on the video) and all of this we've done is useless, but.... Hope is the last thing to lose.

Thanks for reading!
    Jul 23, 2012, 10:49 PM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #422

Here are more obvious magnet and bracket inaccuracies. What really upsets and frustrates me the most is the fact they HAD the original magnet molds. How hard is it to take measurements? Their mockup looks like they just looked at the pictures once and and just went to town...

23. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Jul 24, 2012, 1:38 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #423

[/QUOTE]

Would it be possible for someone to make the lenticular of the hero board a little bit of a darker purple? And also the 4 pink stripes need to be darker. I want this to make a better hoverboard than the one I have right now. Right now my hoverboard is of the stunt board.

Like this:
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by MitasTouch; Jul 24, 2012 at 1:46 AM.
  24. Whoa, this is heavy. RPF Premium Member Roland's Avatar
    From
    Kehl, Germany
    Jul 24, 2012, 5:36 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #424

MitasTouch said: View Post
    ... Would it be possible for someone to make the lenticular of the hero board a little bit of a darker purple? And also the 4 pink stripes need to be darker. ...
    I think you make the mistake of comparing the colors with screen shots of the Hoverboard. That's never a good solution, because movie colors usually are too saturated and dark and are falsified. I compared with a lot of good auction photos of both board versions and the lenticular isn't as purple as you can see it in the movie.

But: since my files will be vector PDFs (I'll post them in a few days), feel free to modify the colors for your own purpose.
  25. Whoa, this is heavy. RPF Premium Member Roland's Avatar
    From
    Kehl, Germany
    Jul 24, 2012, 5:50 AM - Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion #425

Ojobenito said: View Post
    ... They may or may not know about the existence of the hero board and its differences with the stunt board. ...

... even if the hero board was different. Mattel shouldn't even know about those boards. ...
    I always thought, a company such as Mattel employs people in their development department, who are more professional. The Internet is large and there are so many good photos of the original Hoverboards and a lot of informations about them to find out there. I can't believe that they build the board without using all that. If they are professionals, they KNOW about the hero boards. If they are NO professionals, then they should stay away from building a Hoverboard.