LOTR Sting

drknotter

Hi Everyone!

First time poster here! Thought I'd start off by showing my Sting replica that I made awhile back for my dad. Here's the final product:

F37IAT7GS3BDV4B.MEDIUM.jpg

This picture and more are on my Instructables page for it here. That's the long version though. Here's the short version:

Here's the basic underlying construction. It's just several layers of MDF laminated together. I actually had to photoshop all the layers, since I didn't take pictures until near-completion.

FAC90VCGRFMW5JL.MEDIUM.jpg

Here's the pommel before painting. I think the actual prop has a much rounder pommel, and the "lips" are much thinner, but I had a hard time getting that effect with the MDF.

F097UFJGRTHSTWC.MEDIUM.jpg

I used wood putty to fill in some gaps:

FQCD4APGRTHP7JH.MEDIUM.jpg

Here's the lettering on the crossguard. I carved out a basin from the crossguard and cut out the letters individually from some cardboard to achieve the "raised letter" look.

FLFYF4HGRTHLTG5.MEDIUM.jpg

I used a soldering iron to make the lettering along the blade:

FFN8HBYGRTHXDXX.MEDIUM.jpg

A coat of primer and two coats of silver spray paint:

FDPQQ8PGS3BDI71.MEDIUM.jpg

After painting the leaf details on the grip:

F3T3F6CGS3BDV12.MEDIUM.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone! I really liked working with the MDF because it's so easy to shape, but then again I was constantly worried about inadvertantly gouging a huge divot out of it. :lol I'm actually working next on a Master Sword replica, but I'm using pine strips instead.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back