TO LATHE or NOT TO LATHE

CaptainMarvel

Wondering how many of you replica prop makers out there use, have used and/or are comfortable using a metalworking lathe/mill machine.

There's a BIG part me who has been fascinated by the kind of things one can create using a lathe/mill - you know, like exacting replica/custom lightsaber hilts, custom metal/plastic parts and components for various items, etc.

But for the casual hobbyist - like myself - one has to wonder if the expense of purchasing a lathe - or lathe/mill machine - is really worth it ... especially if one is only going to want to use it as part of one's replica/model making hobby.

Of course, there is also the issue of actually LEARNING HOW TO USE the machine correctly/safely. Plenty of YouTube videos out there ... but it seems to me using a machine like a lathe/mill requires some hands on education/training - yes/no?

Looking forward to an informative and educational discussion. :)

TOM

Don't do metal but I LOVE my wood lathe. Great for all sorts of projects. Would love to get more into the metalworking though.

I mean, how can a replica prop enthusiast see this and not feel a surge of inspiration and wanting to learn the tools to make one - or many - just like it ??? :cool

steve_luke3.jpg

or something like this . . .

radiosity-1.jpg

or this . . .

IMG_6904.jpg

Last edited:
I have a shopsmith machine with a lathe setup havent done anything but I would love to attempt a Luke jedi saber. I did use the drillpress to turn a release knob for my stock on my pulse rifle.

I had a metal lathe until I sold it last week. I already miss it a little, but I never really used it to make props. It would probably benefit you greatly to take a class at a local vo-tech or community college. While they're safe if used correctly, lathes are very dangerous if not. Mills are a little safer, but also rather dangerous. Plus you'll pick up tips that you may never have with trial and error.

I love the little lathe I got for Fathers Day.

406140_4265995929822_737712339_n.jpg

Cant wait for the matching Mini Mill I ordered for my birthday to arrive. I have been shaving aluminum on it since I unpacked it. Made a few car parts and have been planning out lightsaber parts. :love

IMG_20120807_123729.jpg

Made the emitter and the connecting parts for my Russrep grenade.
Also made a small key chain part.

320481_4265759923922_1790852184_n.jpg

Grander plans coming with the mini mill. :cheers

Caught both tools on sale and used 20% off coupons that Harbor Freight keeps mailing me. Spent about $900 total for both. Loving them!

Avolow.

I have a Sherline Lathe and Mill. Absolutely love them. I figured out how to use it myself with some tips from friends and a bit of reading. With a mill and lathe you can make almost any part you want for a prop project. Cost -vs benefit is up to the individual, but it is nice to be able to make up stuff at will even if no one else is offering it on the board :).

I have a Sheline 4400 lathe:
http://sherline.com/4400pg.htm

and 5400 mill:
http://sherline.com/5400pg.htm

You can make some fairly complex parts once you get the hang of it.

10728-img-20120116-151908.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say... get one!
Do your homework though, there are lots of makes of lathes I personally would go for an older model with all metal construction.
There are some very good books out there for tips on how machine well.
I got into lathes a few years ago, still have lots & lots learn though.
I bought a nice little Randa lathe with a long bed, second hand but I still havent finished restoring it.
Heres a Randa lathe, the colour pics are the same as mine:

Page Title

I then got the chance to get my hands on a real nice 10"
LeBlond Regal lathe, a beautiful American made lathe.

Theses pics are actually of my lathe, I sent them in to use for reference:

Page Title

Unfortunatly I had to sell it :(

but I still have my little-un, just needs to be finished off & I can use it :)

The site I've linked too should be usefull to you in your search for a good lathe, they keep reference to most, if not all makes & models.

lathes

HTH :)

My father gave me his old Unimat DB/SL lathe which I converted to a CNC machine. I can do some basic milling with it. I created my own custom skin for Mach3 (the CNC program I use).

I just started learning the ins and outs of the whole CNC thing.. but actually the manual lathing is pretty easy once you get the basics. There are more than enough youtube videos.

I have a myford ML7 which looks to be a bit bigger than the ones in the photo's on here.
It is a proper oldschool lathe, over 50 years old and has many years of life left in it.

Among the things I hope to make are an accurate gauntlet rocket for boba Fett which given that my lathe came with a dividing head and collets for milling cutters, I hope that this should not cause me too many problems.

I also have my sights on some dalek parts.

My wood lathe mainly gets used for re-enactment work, but I will have to look at the prop world and see what I can turn.

Next on the list of tools is either a home foundry or a milling machine.

Craig

It is a lot of fun and very satisfying. Be aware that you will very quickly spend the same again as you spent on the machine itself on tooling and accessories. Also, if you go for a one of the affordable import lathes, be prepared to spend a lot of time stripping, cleaning and reassembling it to get it running nicely; although this is actually a valuable way to get familiar with it.

Be aware that you will very quickly spend the same again as you spent on the machine itself on tooling and accessories.

That is a very good point :lol. If you go Sherline I would get one of the packages that comes with a bunch of the accessories. I did find that in the first year there would always be somthing I would need to do some specialized task.

One other really useful feature of Sherline is Fred. He is a master machinest that works at Sherline that you can get on the phone any week day to help walk you through machining things that are tricky to figure out. Great customer service. They are made right in Vista California. I originally bought one of the Harbor Freight mini laths but I quickly figured out it was too small to do most of what I wanted.

I'd love to have these machines too. However, since I'm accident prone, and usually make a number of mistakes on all of my projects, I sometimes choose to ask members of this wonderful forum to help me out. These guys love challenges, prices are (almost) always reasonable, and I get to keep my fingers. ;-)

I have a few parts for some projects, my Mauser and a .45 "Longslide" wait for parts to be turned out. Been wishing for a lathe for a long time, since high school when I used one for turning out a Thompson barrel. I remember dismantling one to fix a sticky gear shaft.:)

If someone has never learned the basics from a trained lathe user, there are some important points to know:

1. A bigger Lathe can easily kill you, with luck you only loose parts of your limbs if you make bigger mistakes

2. A lathe of each size can easily cripple you

3. Caution and knowing what you do is the most important thing

4. No matter what you buy (in the hobby size), after some time you notice you need a bigger one to machine the parts you want. I learned nearly 25-30 years ago on a prof. machine in a shop, and started some years ago at home with a "7x12" mini-lathe. The 12" is between centers, but when working with a chuck you loose the first 3" in length. Another 3" when using a drill-chuck, what makes you having 6" left for the workpiece AND the drill. Works out for small parts only. So i later changed the mini-lathe in my basement for a chinese made 11x27" bench model (and added a 12x32" industrial lathe in my garage, but the 11x27 would do it for most prop making).

5. Starting is cheap, just buy the machine and some tools. If you want to make more special parts, you gonna need special tools - be prepared to buy tools for many hundreds of dollars soon, for addional hundreds (maybe thousands) later.

6. Having a Lathe and mill is great - but you need to know what you are doing. Some things can be explained a thousand times without getting it, sometimes a video works for learning. But for the really basic things i suggest to have someone who teaches you - ask a old machinist, or take some classes if they are offered in your hometown. Knowing the basics helps you deciding if something is really a good idea when trying something new, you get a better feeling for the many dangers.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back