Killer Chrome for Nebulizer

BlackMarketMagi

So I was planning on using Killer Chrome on my Galaxy Quest Nebulizer and ironically today I got an email from ALSA saying that Killer Chrome is 50% off the whole month of May. Hooray, cuz the stuff is way expensive. The Killer Chrome kit is still $57.50 on sale but doesn't hurt quite as much as usual. BTW the price is not listed on the website. You have to order it by email. They also have Mirrachrome and a few other things half off.

I'll put the link to the ad up if it's ok. (Still new and don't know the link rules so always better to err on the side of caution.) Otherwise just send me a message and I can forward it to anyone who's interested.

I used Alclad chrome over sanded/polished automotive silver lacquer (for the two tone like the original prop) and it came out great! You can see your color reflection in the body.

You may not want to spend so much on the Alsa stuff. Alclad is only about $6 a bottle.

Just a thought...

I've noticed Alclad doesn't hold up long term by itself. The chrome effect diminishes.
Some kind of clear coat may fix that. Do they recommend anything?

Alclad is airbrushed. It dries in a few minutes. The carrier is extremely thin and flashes off almost instantly. The substrate must be PERFECT. Any micro-scratch will appear in the final finish. It has no ability to cover anything. If you polish the substrate to a mirror-finish (like I did) then the final Alclad finish will be mirror as well.

It looks good to me. Any clear sealer will KILL the reflectance.

I will look at it in a few month and see if it has dulled any.

Silver-gray base coat (polished out):

View attachment 25389

Masked off for the two-tone and Alclad areas sprayed. It is really hard to photograph. (for me). It looks kind-of "pebbled" in the pics, but it is absolutely smooth.

View attachment 25390

View attachment 25391

View attachment 25392

gotta say that looks great, but honestly, It still looks like silver paint to me...Killer Chrome is hard to beat and because it's metal deposition is dry once it hits the part, ya just gotta mist it on, it's really not paint

Will

How durable would you say Killer Chrome is? There are a few parts of my roof rack I think I'd like to make chrome, but do you think it'll stand up to UV, rain, and bumblebees at 80mph?

gotta say that looks great, but honestly, It still looks like silver paint to me.
I was going to say the same thing. Don't misunderstand SD, I think it looks great, but I've always heard Alclad had more of a chrome-like appearance.

Not that it matters to me--I don't own an airbrush, and even at 50% off the cost of Killer Chrome is far more than I'm willing to pay, so I guess my Nebulizer will have to be happy with Testors' Chrome.

No offense taken. I also didn't mean to hijack the thread with "LOOK AT MY STUFF!!!" posts. sorry.

I SUCK at photography. So, the replica really is much more shiny that it looks. The pictures DO make it look like the surface is somewhat rough and "painted-looking". So, I actually agree with you guys there.

But it is very, very smooth and reflective in-person. I can see myself and the room in the surface. So, I like Alclad. Does it have a deep-chrome-look, like it is actually Nickel-Plated? Nope. I guess it could be vacuum-metalized, but then it would look goofy...like a toy car bumper. I didn't want that effect either.

IIRC, the original props were machined, polished aluminum. which has a slightly "translucent", "white-ish" look to it. Not at all like the darker look of nickel plating. (I polish metal and get things plated all of the time, so I am familiar with how various metals polish-up and plate.)

ANYWAY...

If Killer Chrome is what you like, then... Viva La Killer Chrome!

To each his own, man! Go for it! And post pics!!! Maybe I will be so impressed, I will go buy some Killer Chrome too! I have always wanted to see how it works.

Amen.

Read this article and check out the pics! Great info:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t638256.html

Final results from this limited test? Spaz Stix was the winner. It’s the most reflective, slightly better than Alclad, and it’s easier to use as you can spray it over Tamiya’s spray black, saving one step of airbrushing. Alclad II came next, it’s results were also impressive. As much as anything, this test proved that with a glass-smooth base surface to start with, either of these products work quite well. If you expect them to look like kit chrome, you will be disappointed. If you spray them over base paint that's not ultra-smooth and glossy, you may be disappointed.

FB

here is Killer Chrome on a Helmet *I sprayed. It is Clear Coated so it is as durable as any other Automotive finish since it is top coated with clear. So the UV protection is based on how good a clear you choose.

Here is Killer Chrome with Tru Gold Candy

So I was planning on using Killer Chrome on my Galaxy Quest Nebulizer and ironically today I got an email from ALSA saying that Killer Chrome is 50% off the whole month of May. Hooray, cuz the stuff is way expensive. The Killer Chrome kit is still $57.50 on sale but doesn't hurt quite as much as usual. BTW the price is not listed on the website. You have to order it by email. They also have Mirrachrome and a few other things half off.

I'll put the link to the ad up if it's ok. (Still new and don't know the link rules so always better to err on the side of caution.) Otherwise just send me a message and I can forward it to anyone who's interested.

The Alsa products are the Bomb--great stuff--pricey but great.
I didnt see the 1/2 off for may sale on the site? Can you send me a coupon or link?

Franz, Ill try the Spaz stuff--looks like it may be worth a go--

Last edited:
Yeah, like I said it's not listed on the site you have to order via email. Here's the link....

I have no idea why it is so long but it's the link I get when I click the "have trouble seeing this email"

http://campaign.constantcontact.com...zaAosVnTeaJ5zNK4j-gYCq0hm8rZWcTs-4uMXEokiyGju

And no worries SD on hijacking, mine was purely a PSA for the group. I've been meaning to try Alcad as well so I'll probably get both and play around before I do the actual prop.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back