Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Scotland
    Jul 17, 2011, 11:48 AM - Jumanji Game Board replica - 15/05/13 Update - Board Edges #1

OK, so in September last year, my Jumanji game board was started and I posted updates in another thread (not one that I started). I thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread (so I can update it easier and alert people to updates in the title) and post the latest.

Original thread and work in progress on the top of the board can be seen here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/jumanji-mov...53/index2.html

So just to show that this project is not dead (just been progressing slowly) here's the latest....

The top of the board is hand carved (with wood chisels - no dremels here) from Brazilian mahogony by a talented friend of mine. Since the last update in the old thread, I have cut it slightly smaller to match movie dimensions better and have carefully cut it along the middle seperating it into two halves:

But now there's much more progress.

The bottom (new) game board piece has again been hand carved by my friend, this time from MDF. Next step is to varnish it to seal the surface properly.

I plan to make the central dome from a section of an acrylic hemisphere and will try to make the brass (?) ring that goes around that in 3D to be 3D printed.

My friend has also been sent photos of the 4 animal game pieces (rhino, croc, monkey and elephant) which he will hopefully be able to start work on soon.
    Last edited by Howlrunner; May 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM.
  2. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Jul 17, 2011, 1:18 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #2

I followed the original thread pretty closely. Doesn't the board have some pretty intricate vine or brambles or something on it in the movie?
    From
    Scotland
    Jul 17, 2011, 1:49 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #3

The one that you're thinking of with the intricate vines/brambles is the one below. This is one of the early prototypes and is very different from the finished board seen in the movie:

Here's the finished board that actually appeared onscreen (very different):

And here's a comparison of my carved board with the movie board:

Last edited by Howlrunner; Jul 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM.
  4. RPF Premium Member Alan Castillo's Avatar
    From
    Malta
    Jul 17, 2011, 1:54 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #4

Fantastic !

PLEASE tell me that your intention is still to cast it and sell it
  5. RPF Premium Member killerbee's Avatar
    From
    Vacaville,Ca.
    Jul 17, 2011, 2:43 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #5

Nice work.Looks really close to the screen version.I have this movie for my Sony PSP.Look forward to seeing the finished piece!
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    The netherlands
    Jul 17, 2011, 8:41 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #6

Looks amazing, im really wondering how your going to do the center piece!
    Jul 17, 2011, 8:46 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #7

I spy a little white button on the face of the board. Anyone know the function?
    From
    Connecticut
    Jul 17, 2011, 9:10 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #8

falconNL said: View Post
    Looks amazing, im really wondering how your going to do the center piece!

I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully it lights up somehow, snowglobe style so it seems to have that mysterious and kinetic feel. Many ways to go about it, I guess, but you have an eye for SA detail. I can't see anything out of place.

Fluxcapacitor said: View Post
    I spy a little white button on the face of the board. Anyone know the function?
    I want to say it was the locking/unlocking button. But not 100% sure.
    From
    cambridge, ontario, canada
    Jul 18, 2011, 1:19 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #9

all i can say is "JUMANJI" GREAT WORK
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Jul 18, 2011, 2:50 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #10

Wow! It's perfect.
    From
    Scotland
    Jul 18, 2011, 4:47 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #11

Cheers guys, he's certainly done a great job carving everything.

The little white button on the side of the board is theoretically the lock/unlock button for the swing-open top. Or at least it was originally going to be when they designed it, but they discarded it's use in the actual movie, instead opting to just have the top be pulled open and fasten closed with strong magnets embedded in the rim of the lid, just under slivers of wood.

Haven't given a lot of thought to the central section yet. However, as the inner game board piece is actually raised an inch or so from the bottom of the box, there is theoretically space to put in electronics. It would be very cool if there was some kind of mini projector that could be fitted in there which rear-projected animated Jumanji text onto the dome!

And yes, eventaully the idea is to offer casts of the top of the box, board game piece, and the 3 game tokens. The rest should be able to be constructed from wood/MDF/styrene. It will eventually happen (fingers crossed).
  12. RPF Premium Member Alan Castillo's Avatar
    From
    Malta
    Jul 18, 2011, 4:53 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #12

Howlrunner said: View Post
    And yes, eventaully the idea is to offer casts of the top of the box, board game piece, and the 3 game tokens. The rest should be able to be constructed from wood/MDF/styrene. It will eventually happen (fingers crossed).
    All fingers crossed

May I suggest that before you assemble it completely, to cast the whole shebang in its individual components, and offer the complete piece as a kit
  13. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Germany
    Jul 18, 2011, 5:23 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #13

yes, please cast before..... a kit would be great
    Jul 18, 2011, 6:55 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #14

Amazing!
    From
    Houston, Texas
    Jul 18, 2011, 11:01 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #15

Very cool. Now make it work.
    From
    Scotland
    Jul 19, 2011, 7:17 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #16

A kit of ALL the pieces would probably end up more expensive than people would be willing to pay - I figured that offering the hardest parts (i.e. top, board and game tokens, and possibly game token section covers) would probably be best, and other parts can be made from cheaper, locally available supplies by the buyer. But I'll consider a full kit. Don't worry, nothing will be permanently put together until I have everything to make the complete game (hence why the top section is still unpainted even after being in my possession for months - I can't wait to paint it, but probably not a good idea to paint it before molding it). I'm sure I'll post up various options in the eventual interest thread in the Junkyard, but until then, we best keep the sales talk out of this thread.

So anyway, I've not been sitting idle, I took the game board, scanned it and from that, I've used Sketchup to model the inner ring (I needed a scan to work from so that the spaces in the ring match up exactly with the game paths):

NOTE: They appears to have used a few slightly different inner rings in the movie. Some appear fairly flat, whereas others seem to slope upwards slightly from the outside of the ring to the inside. My model is based on the latter option.

This will be printed by Shapeways in matt antique bronze metal, and HOPEFULLY it will fit perfectly (I've measured eveything 3 times!).
    From
    Iowa, USA
    Jul 20, 2011, 12:04 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #17

this is looking great! i cant wait to see the final project finished!
    From
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Jul 20, 2011, 2:40 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #18

Howlrunner... the metal will shrink 2-3% from your model! I hope you know that, or read this before you order!
    Jul 20, 2011, 3:03 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #19

wow this is really wonderful! It's going to be awesome.
  20. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Mr. Masters Tidal Pool
    Jul 20, 2011, 8:57 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #20

Man that's beautiful!

Your woodcarving friend does awesome work!!
  21. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Jul 20, 2011, 9:03 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #21

Nice job it looks a lot like the movie one!
  22. Universal Greeblie RPF Premium Member Jedifyfe's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 20, 2011, 11:38 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #22

That is pretty cool. The only other thing you could do is mount a flat screen under the Bubble and have it programmed to change sayings.
    From
    Durham, NC
    Jul 20, 2011, 1:54 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #23

Man...I haven't seen Jumanji in years, but definitely a really cool prop. I like the idea of mounting a little screen and actually making it a 'workable' game that does the sayings and such. Then mount magnets and such under to make the pieces move on their own, NO big deal! hah
    From
    Iowa, USA
    Aug 2, 2011, 11:18 PM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #24

I visited Sony Studios within the past few days on our trip to LA. We took a lot of close up pics of the game. I could tell it wasnt the openable game because there was no cut through the lettering. I took pics of all of the oval carvings and the background carvings, as well as the sides. I will upload pics when i get the time as we just got home a few hours ago.
    Aug 3, 2011, 1:41 AM - Re: Jumanji Game Board replica #25

Pretty cool! Definitely looking forward to seeing your progress and build!