Jayne from Firefly Serenity, knife purchase and leather sheath build

acwild

With iCON ICON Science Fiction rapidly approaching, I put the finishing touches on my newest prop for my costume, the Jayne from Firefly Serenity, knife (which I purchased) and leather sheath that I made.

Any opinions, suggestions, or recommendations would greatly be appreciated and thanks in advance!

a21IMG_9408.jpg

Knifeff108014.jpg

Jaynebelt2.jpg

I started by tracing out the knife and cutting out a cardboard template
a1IMG_9369.jpg

a2IMG_9371.jpg

Next I transferred it on to some rather thick leather and cut it out
a5IMG_9373.jpg

a7IMG_9375.jpg

The original knife sheath sits nearly flush with Jayne's belt on the show so I had to add a slip behind so it would sit the same. (Although I'm not sure if the original had a clip or some other hook.) After drilling pilot holes with my Dremel, I made sure to sew only the top half.
a9IMG_9378.jpg

a10IMG_9380.jpg

Then I insured the belt buckle would fit through, slide the bottom of the slip a bit so it would have some room for the buckle to slip through.
a11IMG_9381.jpg

I wanted to make sure that the knife would not cut the thread when it was inserted into the finished sheath so I covered the inside with glue and pressed it down onto some thin leather so it cover the threads and prevent cutting. I used weights and allowed about an hour to dry.
a12IMG_9383.jpg

a12IMG_9384.jpg

a13IMG_9386.jpg

Once it was dry, I cut it out and got ready to drill more pilot holes and sew the two halves together.
a14IMG_9387.jpg

a15IMG_9388.jpg

I sewed the second linear half with the knife in place to insure a good tight fit.
a16IMG_9391.jpg

The front and back did not line up perfectly and there were some angling and minor off cuts... my Dremel with it's sanding attachment quickly evened the edges all out.
a17IMG_9394.jpg

Next I used a small chisel and a star sticker (as a template) and hammered the star into the sheath. Note, if the star is off a bit, you can nudge the star a bit with extra hammers of the chisel. I had to hammer my star a few times... an actual star template would have been ideal.
a18IMG_9397.jpg

a18IMG_9398.jpg

I then added some detail work along the top and between each sewed stitch with a small screwdriver.
a19IMG_9399.jpg

a20IMG_9406.jpg

a22IMG_9407.jpg

Next I have to make the black wrist strap Jayne wore and I'm all ready for iCON!

IMG_9368.jpg

Last edited:
Well done,

Jayne may be the best mercenary character out there. The boots/shoes look like a comfortable version of the jungle boots he wore.

Dont'ja think he needs more gernades?

Cheers

Sebastian

Well done,

Jayne may be the best mercenary character out there. The boots/shoes look like a comfortable version of the jungle boots he wore.

Dont'ja think he needs more gernades?

Cheers

Sebastian
Well, I guess Jayne will be happy that Mal let him bring at least one Grenade!

Very nice sheath, and I like what you have come up with for the costume so far. :)
That's man, I've lost 22 pounds since last year's event, when I went as the Terminator, so I hope I can pull Jayne off convincingly... I've even grown in my VanDyke (goatee)... I considered River-slashing my chest with the knife for super authenticity but, na! (kidding of course on that one!)

The Terminator: (sucks that they won't allow guns of any kind at iCON I would have far more authentic with a sub machine gun)

aICON_2010085.jpg

aICON_2010091.jpg

aICON_2010240.jpg

aaICON_2010071.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back