Jack Bauer Assault Mask - Weekend Build

robo3687

Sr Member
Taking a break from my Iron Man model for a weekend to avoid Iron Man burnout and decided to try and make something from beginning to end in 3 days (Friday-Sunday).

So my choice was the mask Jack Bauer wore in the last season of 24 when he assaulted President Logans armoured limo.

maskcbp.jpg

Research
A quick google revealed that the mask was actually a paintball/bb mask based off the game Army of Two. So that helped me in finding a bunch of reference pics.

The Build
The build started about 5pm Friday afternoon when I started making the 3d model, by 6:30pm I had finished the model and unfolded it in Pepakura Designer. I've linked it below for those who are interested...

Bauer Psycho Mask
bauerpsychomask.jpg

bauer_psycho_mask.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Started cutting out the pep at 7:30pm and by 4:00am Saturday morning I had it done. There was tennis on the tv so that kept me awake while i worked....

image13hg.jpg

This afternoon (saturday) I set about hardening the inside of the mask. I used Selley's Plastibond, as it's both cheaper and easier to get in Australia than resin, it's essentially a plastic putty. Since it's like mid-winter here the Plasti-bond was taking forever to dry, so I grabbed the trusty hair dryer and sat there drying it out...

image14lh.jpg

once that was done I started working on the outside. Instead of Bondo, I've again gone for a cheaper and more easily obtainable option, PolyFilla (thats it in the yellow tube). It sets quite hard and seems to be working quite nicely for this.

image15xt.jpg

I'm hoping to finish off putting on the PolyFilla tonight and the after that's set overnight, it'll be onto sanding, more filling, more sanding etc etc and hopefully finally painting tomorrow.....

Awesome! Im working on mine also, I did it on regular printer paper because I was out of cardstock, so Ill have to gently mist spray primer onto it little by little to make it slightly sturdier to hold hardener better. Cant wait to go psycho in it!

Kinda. He got all his equipment/weapons from someone who owed him a favor and was helping him. He had a small lab/room with high tech equipment and a lot of ass kicking weapons. How convenient! :lol Can't remember his name, tho.

yep thats the one....and while i wish i had the 90 bucks to spend on it.....i don't...lol....hence why i'm making my own...

obviously not going to finish it one weekend....lol.....but i'll just use this as something to do on the weekends.....

here's where i'm at

image16gv.jpg

Cool "distraction". Eager to see how you approach the eyes.

my current theory is trying to find an old tape player with metal covers on the speakers.....because they have the exact look....i found one with plastic but there's no way i'd be able to shape it.....

VERY nice weekend project....loving how its turning out!!

I'm tempted to pick one up...but like you said $90 or making it yourself....which is going to be nicer to look at? ;)

I've found them for $26 but still, its a fairly simple project. Thanks alot robo, This was a fun weekend project for me! I should be done tomorrow minus the straps.(Ive been working on it all day)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back