I've been working on a replica of Sir Richards Shield from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade off and on now for about a year and a half.
I think it's finally far enough along to show some progress.
I started by taking a ton of hi-res screen caps and then comparing them to my original files from my laser engraved grail tablet. My hope was, that I would be able to go straight into using them as the basis for the shield. Wrong!! The layout of the text was different enough to warrant a whole new engraving.
I also used the screencaps to determine what size the shield should be:
I ended up with a shield that is about 21" X 44".
Once I had the engraving molded and cast, I cnc'ed two 3/16" thick pieces of plywood, which I then put into a jig to add the correct curve and glued together. Once the glue dryed, the curve remains permanently in the piece. I then used contact adhesive to glue the resin casts to the wood shield.
Once I had the engravings in place, I used chip board of the same thickness to build up the remaining areas of the shield and put in the cross members.
At this point, I became stumped on the rivets and used several different found items such as upholstery tacks, small furniture sliders, etc. All to no avail. None of them looked right. I knew for the smaller rivets on the cross members, that I wanted to laser cut styrene, but nothing for the larger rivets. But then one day, a solution presented itself:
Yes!! Googly Eyes from the craft store. Almost the perfect diameter and curvature that I wanted.
And the laser cut styrene "rivets".
And a more direct comparison between the screen seen and my tablet:
Now I just have to figure out a good paint job and call this one done!
Thanks for looking.