Indiana Jones Diary WIP - 1920-1957 - Emperor's Tomb Level 1-3

Howlrunner

Sr Member
While I love the idea of an Indy diary, I'm not a big fan of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (a Young Indy diary is therefore out), so I've decided to make what would be Indy's second diary; one that he starts after he graduates in 1920.

This diary will be based on all of the novels, Dark Horse comics, computer games, park rides and movies and go into more detail than most "accurate" or SA diaries, with quite a few pages devoted to each novel, comic, etc. In fact, here's the chronology I'll be using:

1922 Peril at Delphi - DONE
1925 Dance of the Giants - DONE
1926 Seven Veils - DONE
1927 Genesis Deluge - DONE
1928 Unicorn's Legacy - DONE
1929 Interior World - DONE
1930 Sky Pirates - DONE
1930 White Witch - DONE
1933 Philosopher's Stone - DONE
1933 Dinosaur Eggs - DONE
1934 Hollow Earth - DONE
1934 Secret of the Sphinx - DONE
1935 Shrine of the Sea Devil - contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel - DONE
1935 Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - LucasArts game - LEVEL 1-3 DONE
1935 Temple of Doom
1935 Forbidden Eye - Disneyland Ride
1936 Tomb of the Gods – 4 Dark Horse comics – Available together in graphic novel form
1936 Raiders of the Lost Ark
1937 Arms of Gold - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 Graphic novel
1938 Last Crusade
1938 Thunder in the Orient - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 Graphic novel
1939 Staff of Kings - LucasArts game
1939 Fate of Atlantis - LucasArts game – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 Graphic novel
1939 Sargasso Pirates - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1941 Golden Fleece - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1941 Pyramid of the Sorcerer
1941 Mystery of Mount Sinai
1943 Army of the Dead
1945 Spear of Destiny - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1947 Iron Phoenix - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1947 Infernal Machine - LucasArts game
1957 Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

And the inserts and reference pictures I'm using will be posted here: Indy Diary pictures by msbillen - Photobucket

Here's the diary I'm using:

Diary1.jpg

Handmade in Tibet; I like it.

And here's the completed entries for the first 3 novels (WARNING: This contains SPOILERS if you haven't read the novels):

Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi:

Diary2.jpg

Diary3.jpg

Diary4.jpg

The postcard and coin are both real and from the correct time period.

Diary5.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants:

Diary6.jpg

Postcard is real and from the 1920's.

Diary7.jpg

Diary8.jpg

Diary9.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils:

Diary10.jpg

Diary11.jpg

Diary12.jpg

Diary13.jpg

Just waiting on an original 1911 cigarette card of the S.S. Mauretania to arrive to use as an insert to complete these pages.

Diary14.jpg

Next up is the Genesis Deluge - waiting for the book to arrive. :)

Last edited:
Re: Indiana Jones Diary WIP - 1920-1957 (The Adult Years)

As somone who has had his rear kicked yet again by his THIRD attempt at a GRAIL DIARY, I salute your effort. Great concept!

Power to your elbow.

Having recently done a hand written Grail Diary I appreciate the work that went into that, awesome and great idea. Is it printed or hand written?

Having recently done a hand written Grail Diary I appreciate the work that went into that, awesome and great idea. Is it printed or hand written?

All of the text is hand written and all of the drawings are done by hand. All of the inserts that are glued in are from documents or books that existed in that year and are uploaded on Photobucket (link in the 1st post). Anything not glued in is an original (and available in that year).

Im excited to see the Atlantis Pages...

Me too! :lol As it's 13 years from where I currently am though, it's going to take a long time to get to! It's definitely one of the best prop related stories/games.

Here's some of the other pictures and inserts I created while I was waiting for the blank diary to arrive. These will be glued in the relevant sections when I eventually get on to them chronologically.

Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead:

DiaryInserts2.jpg

Forbidden Eye, Emperor's Tomb and Tomb of the Gods:

DiaryInserts3.jpg

As a non fan of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles as well I love this idea. Well done

Any ideas of the atlantis inserts so far?

I always dreames of a videogame prop of platos lost dialogue... Will there be any inserts like that?!?

Excellent work! I look forward to seeing more progress.

thomas;)

howlrunner, depending on how you want to play it, your timeline chronology is wrong.

I don't know if you've ever read thunder in the orient or fate of atlantis, but the way they are written, Thunder in the orient takes place after fate of atlantis, and for whatever reason, the official diary etc that has since been released contradicts this.

the main sticking point is that sophia hapgood and indy, both refer to atlantis and meeting up after not seeing each other for so long in thunder in the orient.

The Lost Journal is fan made and has inaccuracies and made up stuff that don't mesh with other sources.
I regret spending money on it, but that's what I get for buying books on line.:unsure

Looking Good Howlrunner.:thumbsup

D6

@ Division6; I don't totally disagree with you, the "Lost Journal" may not be 100% accurate but I kind of like it :p I got mine for five bucks on Amzon though so I may be biased.

@ Howlrunner; You have done an AMAZING job on this project. I love what I've seen and can't wait to see it finished.
I'm in the planning stages of a Henry Jones Sr. diary and I'm a little daunted.
Keep up the great work! :thumbsup

Any ideas of the atlantis inserts so far?

I always dreames of a videogame prop of platos lost dialogue... Will there be any inserts like that?!?

Picture-wise I'm looking at Sophie's Atlantian medallion, the horned idol, the key for the horned idol, orichalcum beads, the key stones, a deformed/horned atlantean skull, the miniature model of Atlantis, the robotic stone statue that squishes the nazis and probably the God machine. Not thought as far ahead as inserts, though maps and "pages" on Atlantis or the labyrinth in Crete are a must as well as the circles newspaper clipping about Sophie. Pages from the lost dialogue would be cool, but A) I can't write in Latin and B) there's not enough to go on (only translated and paraphrased sections in the journal.

howlrunner, depending on how you want to play it, your timeline chronology is wrong.

I don't know if you've ever read thunder in the orient or fate of atlantis, but the way they are written, Thunder in the orient takes place after fate of atlantis, and for whatever reason, the official diary etc that has since been released contradicts this.

the main sticking point is that sophia hapgood and indy, both refer to atlantis and meeting up after not seeing each other for so long in thunder in the orient.

Interesting. My timeline is based on the one constructed by TheRaider.net with all of the choose-your-own-adventure novels, German-language-only novels and Marvel comics removed.

I have the Fate of Atlantis comics and the date given at the start of those is definitely 1939. I haven't seen or read Thunder in the Orient yet though (will order the omnibus soon). What date does that list the adventure as happening in?

The Lost Journal is fan made and has inaccuracies and made up stuff that don't mesh with other sources.

Didn't Indy Magnoli write the Lost Journal? Personally I think it's great, though I'd like it better if the "inserts" were actually inserted, rather than printed on. Plus the fact that it doesn't really mention any of the adventures from the novels or comics (maybe 1 or 2).

There does seem to be strange inaccuracies in it too that I'm finding now that I'm reading the novels for my own diary - for example, in the Lost Journal the only page that refers to Peril at Delphi has a lot of greek writing on it, with a note from Jones saying that the tablet was written in Liniu B and that he'll have his work cut out trying to translate it. Which is really weird, as the novel specifically has Jones saying how surprised he is that the writing on the tablet was so easy to translate as it was only in ancient Greek (in fact he did it in his head and only wrote down the English translation) and that he was really glad it WASN'T in Liniu B!

That is great! Having done the grail diary by hand, I know the work involved and you are to be commended.

I decided to add a quick picture of a Ceiba tree to the last entry to fill up the rest of the page so that each new year can start on a fresh page.

Then I wrote up the entries for the latest adventure - Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge:

Diary14-1.jpg

Diary15.jpg

Diary16.jpg

Diary17.jpg

Diary18.jpg

Diary19.jpg

Next up is The Unicorn's Legacy. :)

Wow that looks great, wonderful job! I love the aging you've done in some of those photos.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back