I think my Stargate chevron is being recast...

coolbutpointles

Hi,
I'm not really super certain if this is the correct place to put this. A while back I purchased a production made(but not screen used) Chevron from Stargate. Seeing as how I then owned the original(which was unpainted), I made a mold and made a couple copies for myself, two of which I decided to turn into autograph pieces.

Long story short, I needed money for rent one month so I sold one of my two autographed pieces on eBay for some "Life sucks, need money" money. Yesterday, I stumbled upon this blog:

http://stargateproject.wordpress.com/

Now, first, I thought "Neat, someone else trying to do what I wanna do."

But the first post about making a mold caught my eye.

First Moulding « 1:1 Stargate Project

I looked a bit further into the blog itself and, lo-and-behold, it's the chevron I sold that is being made into a mold, even going so far as to use my original auction picture in the post.

That’s at least a beginning « 1:1 Stargate Project

I posted a request on the page that they not go forward with the mold(but given it's about a week old, I assume the mold is done already). I'm not 100% certain of the generally accepted rule, but I had always thought that if you own the screen used prop that you could make copies but then if someone made copies of your copies that was recasting.

There's not much I can do seeing as how they're in France, but just in case anyone else has anything they're selling, I guess be aware that there's the potential for recasting in this particular group.

For reference, here's my other of the two replicas as it hangs in my workshop area(this one was cast with a layer of transparent orange tinted resin). I had Chris sign in the same spot as I had intended to eventually make a small two sided(front and back of the gate) light up display.

attachment.php

Pictures of my original and COA are available if anyone doubts I own an original.

This whole "recast" thing is just a matter of honor. It's nothing more than a rule here on the RPF. If we consider the law, than you both have no rights to make copies for sale. It doesn't matter if you make that copy from another copy or from the original piece.

Oh, I know. I'm not really looking to do anything to them and I know I can't stop them in the least. I know I have no rights to make or sell copies. I had just always seen that it was sort of an accepted thing(a matter of honor like you said) that if you own the original and offer casts that it's a little bit of a faux pas to turn around and make a mold of one of the copies and such.

I just figured I'd let this out there just in case it was relevant to anyone else who might maybe sell replica pieces of the gate cast off of screen used/production made originals that they own(I know, I know, talk about niche market, right?).

I had just always seen that it was sort of an accepted thing(a matter of honor like you said) that if you own the original and offer casts that it's a little bit of a faux pas to turn around and make a mold of one of the copies and such.

If he was a member here, he'd be hung, drawn, quartered, chopped up, ground down, incinerated, and his ashes evaporated in acid.

Nah, he'd just be banned :lol

Point is, you are 110% correct to bring it to our attention as a recaster warning, and you have even more right to be furious, as that is a typical case of recasting that is unacceptable here on the board.

haha, I'd be furious if my SGU Kino remotes got recast since I spent so much time squinting and such to make the master for it but for this I'm just slightly miffed about the whole thing! I mean, I get it, you need a lot of these things for a full sized gate but still... What really miffs me is that this is a very easy prop to build even without a direct cast to get measurements from... I don't get why they didn't just build one(seriously, foam core, bondo, a pair of calipers, and some sand paper is all it takes!), especially since it seems that they intend to "repair" its flaws(I feel that's a little bogus as I know that it's screen accurate, flaws and all...).

As it stands now, I made my post on their blog asking that they not go forward with the mold making but I haven't heard back(although, the post there needed to be approved and it has been so I know that *someone* involved in it has seen it).

Not checked his whole blog, but as far as i´ve read he´s working on a 1:1 Stargate project (at least he writes that) - so he probably needs more than the one you sold him. :confused

If he made the mold for the sole purpose of having cast enough of them for his own need to build his project ..... well, in my books that´s nothing really wrong, making copies for the own use as a part of a bigger project.

But it would be a bad thing if he makes copies to sell them for profit.

Still, like I said, it's an easy prop to make, especially with measurements. If one has the skill to "correct flaws" then one should be able to build a proper replica. Their intent, from the posts, also seems to be to resell the one I sold them after they have the mold which, in effect, means they recast it entirely for personal gain(essentially it's making profit from a recast since they appear to be taking donations for the build.). I mean, imagine someone buys a prop, molds it for personal use, and resells the original. They haven't sold any but have circumvented the original sales thread.

I literally tought this post said "I think my Stargate chevron is being racist"...

Had to have a look,sorry to hear about the recast hope it works out for you.

If you DONT want something RECAST.

Don't make it available.

I know, its BS, and should not be that way in a PERFECT WORLD, but.....WELCOME TO AN IMPERFECT WORLD.

Reality sucks.

true, but is exceptionally bad luck that the only one you sold actually got recast right away... might have something to do with evilbay ;)

The recast thing is just looked down upon in the honorable artist community. I saw honorable because most artists will honor the general code that recasting is a no, no. Its like the Pirate code. But we don't use it as a guideline.

Hey ! the "Oh Damn Recaster" is one of my friends, and Yes he is going to HO DAMN recast this prop replica !

But for what purpose ? We're going to make a real size stargate replica for conventions & shows display ! yeah the SGC Stargate is going to be replicated from original parts (like a re-cast replica) or also the original backpanel that he owns !

But You may all know it's a really, really big invest and the size of the backpanel mold is almost indescent ! as we will need around 200lbs of sil and ... an incredible amount of Resin & Fiber mesh to cast one full Stargate.

We're not making money on theses recast (as their only purpose is to be part of the whole replica) but we accept donations for the project, and we will proudly share our experience on making a such hole big amazing replica !!!

And as a beginner or not, I think we all (or almost) started props making by recasting some props (originals ou replicas) we own, for test purpose, or experiencing on silicone, how to make the best molds, we all need to learn and the way human does is by replicating & improving, so are we all.

The thing here is that you did not make the original yourself.
You recast someone else's work and sold a copy.
How can you now complain that someone else has recast your recast?

Last edited:
One for all, all for one !

French Fan Community in the rescue !

Notice for the irritated, thank you to reading and inquiring the project before criticizing. Yes it's a recast, does it intended for the resale : no.
The project aims at recreating a Stargate, on no account at selling whatever. There is no problems to duplicate a part for a private use.

Thanks to keep cool and informed you before crying at wolf.

The thing here is that you did not make the original yourself.
You recast someone else's work and sold a copy.
How can you now complain that someone else has recast your recast?

This is a very legit point and on one site it is dealt with "only sell copies of screen used if you have original artist/builder's permission." That said, from what I've seen, the more "make some things accessible" code is if you own the original you can sell copies, but copies of those copies = bad. The whole subject of recasting is a sort of completely convoluted thing all around but this seems to be a generally more accepted idea across forums, anyway.

And as a beginner or not, I think we all (or almost) started props making by recasting some props (originals ou replicas) we own, for test purpose, or experiencing on silicone, how to make the best molds, we all need to learn and the way human does is by replicating & improving, so are we all.

I started prop making by building a prop from scratch. I started mold making by molding scratch built props. I actually legitimately don't know anyone personally who started prop making by recasting someone.

The project aims at recreating a Stargate, on no account at selling whatever. There is no problems to duplicate a part for a private use.

Thanks to keep cool and informed you before crying at wolf.

Does your attitude extend to all props you purchase? If you buy one item from me, but you need five more, you're good to recast as long as you don't sell?

You also talk about crying wolf, as though coolbutpointles jumped the gun bringing this to the RPF's attention. Maybe you (or your group, or whoever did the recasting) should have put some effort into contacting him first and seeing if he was cool with your use of his item. Not like you didn't know where it came from.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back