How to mold and cast a prop part

Gattaca

Just thought I would cut and paste this from my blog to help out anyone who wants to learn how to make molds and casts.

I'm going to go through the steps of molding and casting a prop part. In this case it's the gun grip for my DLT 19 blaster. I made the original part from MDF, then primed and sanded it smooth.

P1050366.jpg
The part needs to be buried about half way up in Plasticine. Make sure the
Plasticine you use is compatible with your molding material.

[
P1050367.jpg

Smooth out the Plasticine as you go, and make sure you get a nice smooth seal around the object.
P1050368.jpg
Trim the Plasticine to a minimum of 1/2 an inch around the object.
P1050369.jpg
I plan on filling the mold from the bottom of the hand grip, or upside down. I'll need to allow any trapped air out as this happens. I've marked my paths for the air vents.
P1050370.jpg
I'm using 1.5mm styrene rods, but you can use wax or some other rod type material, as long as it's not porous. You don't want the rubber to stick to it. Make sure the rod you use is well seated into the Plasticine so no rubber can get under it.

P1050371.jpg
A good tip is to create a groove around the perimeter of the object. This will help 'key' the two halves together as well as create a better seal.
P1050372.jpg
You can see in this image how my vents will work to let air rise out the top of the mold. Any high spot will create an air 'pocket'. The ball bearings act as 'keys', they will be removed before molding the second half.

P1050373.jpg
I've built a box from scraps of foam core, held together in the corners with hot glue. The bottom edge is also glued in a few spots to keep it in place. Make sure you have a good seal, you don't want all or even some of your rubber to leak out. Keep in mind you will need to use this box again.
P1050375.jpg
After spraying the mold release as per the instructions on the can, you can pour your rubber into the mold. However don't just glob it in like a cake mix, you must pour it in a slow and small stream. This will prevent bubbles being trapped in the mold. Notice the small black line on the inside, that's my fill line, about 1/2 inch above the highest point of the object. I'm using Smooth On's Mold Max 40.
P1050377.jpg
Let it set up over night.

P1050378.jpg
The next day you can carefully open the box by cutting one of the corners and the dabs of glue on the bottom. Then peel the box away from the rubber.
P1050379.jpg
Flip the mold over and remove the base to expose the
Plasticine.

P1050380.jpg
Then carefully remove it. Try not to disturb the object or the vents. You can remove the ball bearings.

P1050383.jpg
Do your best to remove all the
Plasticine and any stray bits of rubber. The mold should be clean and smooth.

P1050384.jpg
Re build your box (now up side down) and seal the corner. Apply mold release. I prefer Mann Ease Release 200.
P1050385.jpg
Fill the box and let it set up overnight.

P1050386.jpg
You can remove the mold from the box now...
P1050387.jpg
...and begin to
separate the two halves. You can remove the vents as you go, just be careful not to tear the mold.

P1050388.jpg
Work your way carefully around the object...

P1050389.jpg
...until you
separate the two halves and can remove the original object. Take some time to inspect the mold, look for any bits of rubber that have crept into places you don't want it, and trim it off.

P1050390.jpg
I've used an Xacto to enlarge the pour hole and cleared the path of the air vents.

P1050391.jpg
Cut some cardboard to match the shape of the mold, then secure the two halves with elastic bands.
P1050392.jpg
Ready for pouring. To estimate how much material to mix, I sometimes fill a container to the brim with water, then carefully dunk the object in. Then remove the object and measure how much water is needed to refill the container. Another way is to fill the mold halves with rice or some other small grain, then measure the amount.
P1050393.jpg
Measured amount of the smooth cast of your choice.

P1050394.jpg
Into the pressure tank at 60lbs. If you don't have a pressure tank, just tap, bump or jostle the mold a bit to help the bubbles rise to the top.
P1050395.jpg
After a while, open the mold to reveal the cast. It's always tempting to open a mold too early, or handle a cast before it's fully set. I try to pour my casts before I go to bed, that way I can't do anything with it until I come home from work the next day.
P1050396.jpg
A bit of cleaning up to do is normal.
P1050397.jpg
And a replica is made.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you wanting to get into Molding and Casting on a budget, here are some tips on supplies other than rubber and plastic.

First off are the mixing cups. I always have a supply of various sized disposable containers. We have a wholesale grocery store that caters to restaurants and they always carry take-out food containers. I also use those little dixie cups you might see in someones bathroom or at the dentist. My local drug store carries those. What I like about them is they have little designs on the sides which make it easy to pour to when measuring out equal amounts.
P1050685.JPG

As for mixing sticks, the same wholesale store carries coffee stir stick and disposable chopsticks. The craft store has boxes of 1000 Popsicle sticks, and the dollar store will have tongue depressors in their craft section.
P1050684.JPG

FYI, Harbor Freight sells Pressure Paint Tanks for $99

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you so much for this great guide! I'm really new to replica making and making in general. So this was great!
Thank you for sharing!

If you dont mind, per prop, what kind of cost are you looking at? I realise it will vary per size etc.

ie. what are the costs of a can of mold release, the mold agent etc?

Great guide. Thanks

If you dont mind, per prop, what kind of cost are you looking at? I realise it will vary per size etc.

ie. what are the costs of a can of mold release, the mold agent etc?

Great guide. Thanks

It depends, the products I use vary depending on volume. Prices per oz or litre go down the more you buy, but buying more than you can use is wastefull as it has a shelf life. I use Smooth-On products because a local store carries it. I would suggest visiting their web-site and finding a supplier near you. Generally a small kit of rubber or casting material is in the $40 range for each. So the prop shown might only cost $5 of material to cast, not including the rubber mold or the time to make the original. Hope that helps.

It's nice to see the process visually like this.

Related Question, are there resources for figuring out what kind of molding materials work best or any given mold? Obviously there is a huge amount of variance in the types of things that are molded and what not, but on the other hand I've looked at for example Smooth-On's site and the choice is pretty overwhelming, especially for someone wanting to do thier first mold.

for first molds i would recommend OOMOO for the molding material, it's easy 1-1 mix. for casting smooth cast 305. again 1-1 mix and fast setting. You're right though the site is overwhelming. to really get good at selecting materials you need to learn about shore hardness and viscosity. You can find that info on smooth on site. You also need to learn to read the fact sheet for each product.

Very good guide, but I'd like to suggest one thing. Instead of using ball bearings or placing any kind of little round objects to make registration keys, I find it's simpler just to push a Sharpie butt/cap into the clay/plasticine in multiple areas. This creates all the registration keys you need, without having to remove any small balls/objects.

I would also like to add that Brick in the Yard, Smooth On, and Tap Plastics all have some really good videos on their respective youtube channels as well. I have found them, in conjunction with first hand information like this post, to be invaluable.

Great guide, thanks. Another way to stop bubbles forming is to cast the two half's first with a thin layer when open. Make sure all the vents are still open, close the mold and cast the insidde.

Very good guide, but I'd like to suggest one thing. Instead of using ball bearings or placing any kind of little round objects to make registration keys, I find it's simpler just to push a Sharpie butt/cap into the clay/plasticine in multiple areas. This creates all the registration keys you need, without having to remove any small balls/objects.

Good idea, the reason I use ball bearings is that my clay layer is usually very thin, so pushing a pen into it would not get very far. So that's why I opt for placing things on top of the clay.

Another good feature of using ball bearing is if the ball is not set half way, say only 1/3 buried, when the other half of the mold is poured the key-ways created by the bearing act like a snap lock, holding the two mold halves together.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a comparison image showing a cast on the left done in a pressure tank, and the right not using a pressure tank. You can see how small bubbles stuck to the insides of the mold in the grooves.
P1050563.JPG

Last edited:
It depends, the products I use vary depending on volume. Prices per oz or litre go down the more you buy, but buying more than you can use is wastefull as it has a shelf life. I use Smooth-On products because a local store carries it. I would suggest visiting their web-site and finding a supplier near you. Generally a small kit of rubber or casting material is in the $40 range for each. So the prop shown might only cost $5 of material to cast, not including the rubber mold or the time to make the original. Hope that helps.

That's very helpful thankyou.

If a thread ever needed to be stuck. I would think this one. would be one for the top of the list..

I think that there should maybe be a stuck thread that is full of links to the best tutorial threads. I guess just up to the mods to decide which ones get listed. But all threads that are well written with good photos, like this one.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back