Subscribe
    From
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jul 7, 2008, 8:45 PM - How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #1

The title says it all. What adhesive do I use to glue open cell foam to open cell foam, and open cell foam to plastic?
  2. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 7, 2008, 9:01 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #2

I've always had good luck with 3m's 76 (high temp used for auto headliners) & 77 (multipurpose) spray adhesives. 3M also does have an Adhesive Suggester/Selector on their site, so I'd check that out too.
  3. Warlord of Barsoom RPF Premium Member SurferGeek's Avatar
    From
    Helium of Mars
    Jul 7, 2008, 9:08 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #3

Always test the adhesives on a sample before using and if you are gluing foam into the Trek case you recently showed you will want to leave the case open after gluing the foam in to allow the adhesive to outgas and cure for several days as the fumes could have some negative effect on the case materials.
    From
    Denver, CO
    Jul 7, 2008, 9:12 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #4

Well, I've tried some spray adhesives before and didn't car for them. They stuck for awhile and then fell off. I actually found (I know this may sound barbaric) that hot glue worked very well for me... as long as you are not planning on preserving the part you putting the glue on as it will melt the foam.
    From
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jul 7, 2008, 9:19 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #5

Yeah, haven't had a lot off luck with 77. Foam to foam, or plastic to plastic, or wod foor that matter.

And it is for that case. I cut out the insides on half the case tonight and will tackle the other half this week. I am waiting for my foam to arrive. Though I have some leftovers from another project that I am experimenting with.

I am afraid to use hot glue. I don't want it to affect the painted outside of the case.
    Jul 7, 2008, 9:21 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #6

contact cement, brush-on or spray-on
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Jul 7, 2008, 9:36 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #7

Michaels sells a glue for use with Fun Foam. Sticky as hell.

Come to think of it, have you tried contact cement?
    From
    Southern California
    Jul 7, 2008, 10:36 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #8

As long as the foam-to-foam contact doesn't have to be flexible (or not too flexible), believe it or not good old Elmer's white glue will work. Properly applied, the foam will fracture or tear before it will come unglued.
    Jul 7, 2008, 10:52 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #9

Yeah, try contact cement (make sure it's foam compatible). Coat each side and let it dry and get tacky, then stick them together.

FB
    From
    Claremore. OK
    Jul 8, 2008, 1:45 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #10

contact cement is the best bet. i had a radio controlled airplane called the aircore 40 and it was held together with nothin more than CC. strong stuff.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jul 8, 2008, 1:56 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #11

I've glued convoluted foam/eggcrate foam to the inside of my gun, telescope, and costume cases using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Kinda messy, but it works great, and won't let go! YOU HAVE TO DOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE CAN. If you don't, it won't work correctly. The foam has been stuck in some of my cases since 1999!

I even glued the foam baffles inside my 1000W home theater subwoofer enclosure (to cut out standing waves) using the Super 77. If it can stand up to that kind of abuse...
    From
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jul 8, 2008, 7:09 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #12

I'll keep playing around with the super 77.

Contact cement - like rubber cement?
    Jul 8, 2008, 7:14 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #13

Sulla said: View Post
    I'll keep playing around with the super 77.
    Super 77 will not hold for long. Wrong glue for the job. Get the contact cement at the hardware store.

FB
  14. RPF Premium Member Gigatron's Avatar
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jul 8, 2008, 8:06 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #14

I've used fabric glue for foam-foam and foam-everything else. I like fabri-tac as it's extremely adhesive. I get it at Michael's.

Here's a pic so you know what you're looking for

http://www.jewelrysupply.com/index.p...oducts_id=5145

-Fred
  15. Harmonic_Distortion is offline Harmonic_Distortion
    Jul 8, 2008, 8:22 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #15

God, my last month all seems to revolve around working with foam!
    You really only need 1 product...it can be found at Ace Hardware or other places. It's called Barge Cement. It's a rubber cement that works well with foam + any other material.

Got this tip from a professional mascot costumer who's been manipulating foam for 25 years.
    From
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jul 8, 2008, 8:24 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #16

Awesome! Everyone has been VERY helpful, thank you all!
    From
    Norristown, PA
    Jul 8, 2008, 3:59 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #17

I've glued styrene to foam insulation in large peices with Liquid Nails and it's lasted now for over a year of heavy use on a costume.
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Jul 25, 2014, 4:38 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #18

This is an old thread but I found these lists in my search for foam glue
    http://www.gluehow.com/glues?material=foam

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...that=Styrofoam
    Last edited by lynette; Jul 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM.
  19. MrAwesome is offline MrAwesome
    Jul 26, 2014, 11:48 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #19

Since this is a glue topic and beware this may sound stupid, but would milliput be suitable for ABS plastic, cardboard and aluminium
    Jul 26, 2014, 3:03 PM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #20

Another vote for contact cement. It's what's used to build muppets.

Edit: just realized that this thread was resurrected from 6 years ago. Sorry.
    Jul 28, 2014, 8:58 AM - Re: How do I glue foam to foam and foam to plastic? #21

Looks like everyone just about covered your options! If your still needing more options, this site has a list of other sites and companies that sell adhesives and coatings for all purposes http://univfoam.com/related-sites/co...-and-adhesives