data-ad-slot="1369189895">
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Subscribe
  1. Adam Fails's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    United Kingdom
    Messages
    221
    Dec 5, 2012, 8:15 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #101

    I've seen somewhere online an official replica of the arkenstone. I haven't seen The Hobbit yet so I don't know if it's a replica of the movie one, or the "Official Replica" from the books.

    Found it! The site makes no mention of this being a movie replica though.
  2. data-ad-slot="8650514066">
    data-ad-slot="7832116010">
  3. Kit Rae's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Messages
    502
    Dec 5, 2012, 9:36 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #102

    kursosawa said: View Post
    I still find it odd that both companies are selling practically the same item for the same price.
    As did the folks as UC. They had no idea that Noble would be doing replicas of the same products, let alone selling in the same price range. I don't know why Noble's is shorter, but I can say, having worked on the UC replica, it is an exact 1:1 scale mold of the filming prop. We even matched the colors so closely that side-by-side with the prop, it was identical.

    Onkelpsycho said: View Post
    Hope UC is making a new fellowship staff in close future, that would be awesome...
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Messages
    149
    Dec 6, 2012, 12:11 AM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #103

    Ravensclaw said: View Post
    I've seen somewhere online an official replica of the arkenstone. I haven't seen The Hobbit yet so I don't know if it's a replica of the movie one, or the "Official Replica" from the books.

    Found it! The site makes no mention of this being a movie replica though.
    It was only seen rather briefly. From what I recall, it looks pretty close. Sort of
  5. VortexRunner's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    206
    Dec 6, 2012, 12:20 AM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #104

    I hope UC will make a full tang Glamdring. The MC version turned out fine, but why no full tang? bwaaahh!

    Both Fellowship Staves please!
  6. RPF Premium Member Looch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    From
    vancouver, BC, Canada
    Messages
    687
    Dec 6, 2012, 3:28 AM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #105

    Well, here is my Gandalf staff. Kinda no movie version, just wanted something to go with my Gandalf cossie. As I was deciding to make this for the opening night premiere, my boss decided to give me a cool crystal, which should go great on the top!
    pic 1-dollar store hangers, the crystal, a penlight with a bottom switch, a 6' dowel rod
    pic 2-a deep hole bored out to fit the flashlight
    pic 3-the penlight, alit
    pic 4-coat hangers, cut, randomly bent and with paper attached
    pic 5-with all the "roots" attached and papier mache'd over
    pic 6-dried papier mache with the stone in place
    I've papier mache'd the rest very lightly-just gotta paint it, and I'm ready for the opening!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg  

    005.jpg   006.jpg   012.jpg  

  7. Stivie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Messages
    183
    Dec 7, 2012, 11:21 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #106

    Kit Rae said: View Post
    As did the folks as UC. They had no idea that Noble would be doing replicas of the same products, let alone selling in the same price range. I don't know why Noble's is shorter, but I can say, having worked on the UC replica, it is an exact 1:1 scale mold of the filming prop. We even matched the colors so closely that side-by-side with the prop, it was identical.

    Originally Posted by Onkelpsycho
    Hope UC is making a new fellowship staff in close future, that would be awesome...



    I really hope that is a hint! I'd love a Gandalf FOTR staff as well as one of Radagast's
  8. jedimarkj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2002
    Messages
    1,155
    Dec 7, 2012, 11:39 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #107

    Ditto!!

    Fingers crossed. I've been wanting Gandalf's Moria staff for awhile now!

    Also, hope UC will redo the Shards of Narsil. Here's hoping!
  9. Astrokid248's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    From
    Webster, Texas, United States
    Messages
    305
    Dec 8, 2012, 12:10 AM - #108

    Blarg said: View Post
    now, i'm pretty new here, and i'm not entirely sure if this is the correct thread to ask this, but if i wanted to recreate any of these swords without using actual metal/steel, would anyone know of any good tricks or tips to getting that polished steel look? i was thinking i would make a fiberglass cast of the sword and maybe take it to a chroming shop, but i'm not sure if that would look correct.

    my apologies if this is the wrong thread to discuss this.
    Cold Cast Aluminum. Head over to Volpin's Skyrim Steel Ax build log and follow his instructions. Looks like real metal because it's resin coated in metal powder. Chrome doesn't look like metal at all, and that is the last thing you should do for a replica sword of any sort, especially Sting/Glamdring/Orcrist.
  10. Kit Rae's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Messages
    502
    Dec 9, 2012, 3:15 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #109

    Astrokid248 said: View Post
    Cold Cast Aluminum. Head over to Volpin's Skyrim Steel Ax build log and follow his instructions. Looks like real metal because it's resin coated in metal powder. Chrome doesn't look like metal at all, and that is the last thing you should do for a replica sword of any sort, especially Sting/Glamdring/Orcrist.
    I'll second that. We used an aluminum powder coating for a polyresin Darksider's sword prototype a few years ago and it looked very much like real steel.
  11. Kit Rae's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Messages
    502
    Dec 9, 2012, 3:23 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #110

    jedimarkj said: View Post
    Ditto!!

    Fingers crossed. I've been wanting Gandalf's Moria staff for awhile now!

    Also, hope UC will redo the Shards of Narsil. Here's hoping!
    It is a possibility, depending on the sucess of The Hobbit. We would have to figure out a way to do it so the shards or the display are different than before. The whole point of a limited edition is that it is limited, so UC can't simply make the same product again. I would love to do a scaled down Elven shield and Elven cloth as the display, like in FOTR.

    UC is doing a new 2nd Age Sauron helm and a new 2nd Age Gondor Shield from LOTR, both in polyresin. The Sauron helm will have a different base than the previous limited edition, and the shield will be much more movie prop accurate than the old Gondor shield UC made back in the LOTR days. The tree and stars will be raised rather than silk screened, correct proportions, coloring, et cetera.
  12. Jm419's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Messages
    972
    Dec 9, 2012, 7:42 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #111

    Kit Rae said: View Post
    It is a possibility, depending on the sucess of The Hobbit. We would have to figure out a way to do it so the shards or the display are different than before. The whole point of a limited edition is that it is limited, so UC can't simply make the same product again. I would love to do a scaled down Elven shield and Elven cloth as the display, like in FOTR.

    UC is doing a new 2nd Age Sauron helm and a new 2nd Age Gondor Shield from LOTR, both in polyresin. The Sauron helm will have a different base than the previous limited edition, and the shield will be much more movie prop accurate than the old Gondor shield UC made back in the LOTR days. The tree and stars will be raised rather than silk screened, correct proportions, coloring, et cetera.
    Presumably you've seen the Hobbit. Just out of curiosity, how much of a role do the Shards actually play? Have we already seen their entire part in the films, from the teaser trailer?

    What are you folks thinking on pricing on the Gondor shield? I've always wanted one, but never tracked one down.
  13. Kit Rae's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Messages
    502
    Dec 9, 2012, 9:06 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #112

    No, I have not seen the Hobbit. In the 24 years I have been working on licensed film replicas, I don't think we have ever been offered to an advanced screening, with the exception of The Last Crusade screening at Skywalker Ranch.

    What I meant was, if The Hobbit is successful, interest in LOTR will also increase. If the collector interest is there, UC will make some of these items. Anyone who has watched the trailers and Peter's V-blogs knows the Shards make an appearance in The Hobbit.

    As far as pricing, I'm not sure it has been priced yet. It is still several months away from being on the market.
  14. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Messages
    149
    Dec 9, 2012, 10:32 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #113

    Jm419 said: View Post
    Presumably you've seen the Hobbit. Just out of curiosity, how much of a role do the Shards actually play? Have we already seen their entire part in the films, from the teaser trailer?

    What are you folks thinking on pricing on the Gondor shield? I've always wanted one, but never tracked one down.
    I've seen it, but as much as I can recall, the bits seen in the trailer have been cut from the world premiere release, and I presume from the theatrical release as well. There are other scenes that have been removed too.

    I don't remember the shards appearing, and that was one scene that I was really looking forward to. It might reappear on the extended cuts though
  15. Jm419's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Messages
    972
    Dec 9, 2012, 10:32 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #114

    Kit Rae said: View Post
    No, I have not seen the Hobbit. In the 24 years I have been working on licensed film replicas, I don't think we have ever been offered to an advanced screening, with the exception of The Last Crusade screening at Skywalker Ranch.

    What I meant was, if The Hobbit is successful, interest in LOTR will also increase. If the collector interest is there, UC will make some of these items. Anyone who has watched the trailers and Peter's V-blogs knows the Shards make an appearance in The Hobbit.

    As far as pricing, I'm not sure it has been priced yet. It is still several months away from being on the market.
    Gotcha. I'm surprised you folks don't get to see advance screenings, but that's the way it goes, I guess.

    That makes sense, about collector interest increasing. That's why I picked up all the LotR swords I wanted in the past few months - spent more than I should've, probably - but I'm inclined to believe the prices are going to go up, so I nabbed a Shards and a Museum Glamdring for reasonable prices.

    Thanks for the info, Kit. Always a pleasure to interact with you.
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2012
    From
    Las vegas NV
    Messages
    8
    Dec 9, 2012, 11:51 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #115

    Already got my tickets for the midnight showing!!!
  17. RPF Premium Member kursosawa's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    15 clicks East of Moss Eisley
    Messages
    461
    Dec 10, 2012, 3:36 AM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #116

    frodosfriend said: View Post
    Already got my tickets for the midnight showing!!!

    Same here. Im heading to the theater right after work.
  18. AaronFD's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Messages
    77
    Dec 16, 2012, 10:35 AM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #117

    Anyone else think that Radagasts staff looks more like Gandalfs from Fellowship?
  19. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    indianapolis,IN
    Messages
    358
    Dec 16, 2012, 10:38 AM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #118

    it does, but its not the same staff, the prongs at the top that go off to the side are definitely longer than gandalfs
  20. Formerly Kylash327 Dr Talyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2002
    From
    Madison, WI
    Messages
    7,447
    Dec 16, 2012, 3:43 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #119

    nice job on the staff
  21. Kit Rae's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Messages
    502
    Dec 16, 2012, 4:07 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #120

    jollyskeleton said: View Post
    I've seen it, but as much as I can recall, the bits seen in the trailer have been cut from the world premiere release, and I presume from the theatrical release as well. There are other scenes that have been removed too.

    I don't remember the shards appearing, and that was one scene that I was really looking forward to. It might reappear on the extended cuts though
    Yep. Confirmed, No Shards of Narsil scene in The Hobbit. I guess that will be in the 20-25 minutes added to the extended Blue Ray cut Pete just confirmed would be coming next year.
  22. PHArchivist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2001
    From
    Southern California
    Messages
    17,732
    Dec 16, 2012, 6:50 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #121

    Kit Rae said: View Post
    Yep. Confirmed, No Shards of Narsil scene in The Hobbit. I guess that will be in the 20-25 minutes added to the extended Blue Ray cut Pete just confirmed would be coming next year.

    Concur... Was looking but didn't see them.
  23. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    indianapolis,IN
    Messages
    358
    Dec 16, 2012, 7:46 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #122

    you could see the statue at the top of the stairs in the background though.
  24. VortexRunner's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    206
    Dec 16, 2012, 8:46 PM - Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer #123

    berger said: View Post
    it does, but its not the same staff, the prongs at the top that go off to the side are definitely longer than gandalfs
    McCoy hinted that the staff is significant. We have even seen Gandalf riding with it in some behind the scenes footage.

    My guess is, it is damaged sometime between The Hobbit and Fellowship.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Gandalf the Grey Staff made by me
    Hecubus114, Replica Props
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Feb 13, 2013, 9:11 AM
  2. Query? Staff of Gandalf the Grey
    Shaunn Lawrence, Replica Props
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 27, 2011, 11:28 AM
  3. Gandalf the Grey Staff!
    Hecubus114, Replica Props
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Nov 16, 2011, 4:17 AM
  4. gandalf the grey staff
    ortiz34, Replica Props
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Oct 3, 2011, 12:36 AM
  5. Gandalf the Grey Staff
    Hecubus114, Replica Props
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug 5, 2011, 1:49 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12