Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 29, 2013, 8:43 AM - The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #1

Hi!
    I have been thinking to buy this Arkenstone from The Hobbit (the first three pictures below), but I'm not quite sure yet. I mean, since you cannot see it that well in the movie, I'm not sure if this is screen accurate. According to the book it satisfies me, but what about the movie? And does anyone know if maybe Noble Collection will be creating an Arkenstone or someone else?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbTwKBQO7OypeZg~~60_12.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	225414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pN!fBQO7Oyzqqg~~60_12.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	225415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arkenstone2.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	225417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arkenstone.jpg 
Views:	3747 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	225416

Thank you all!
    From
    Kentucky
    Aug 29, 2013, 9:03 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #2

I own this replica and I don't believe it to be screen accurate. However, it IS officially licensed by the Tolkien Estate/Saul Zaentz/whoever holds all the rights to all things Tolkien. It is based on the book description. It is a very nice piece of crystal and was bigger than I was expecting. (I know, I know, that's what she said haha)
    Aug 29, 2013, 10:26 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #3

I'm sure WETA will offer once the second or third film comes out... Very much look forward to that day
    From
    Sweden
    Aug 29, 2013, 10:42 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #4

So the arkenstone is just a crystal golfball.
    From
    Off-world colonies (or as I like to call it: Florida)
    Aug 29, 2013, 12:00 PM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #5

Contec said: View Post
    ROFL.
  6. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 29, 2013, 11:43 PM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #6

Arwyniel said: View Post
    I own this replica and I don't believe it to be screen accurate. However, it IS officially licensed by the Tolkien Estate/Saul Zaentz/whoever holds all the rights to all things Tolkien. It is based on the book description. It is a very nice piece of crystal and was bigger than I was expecting. (I know, I know, that's what she said haha)
    Mmm that's very cool, about being officially licensed by them. I think I will be buying this because it is book-accurate indeed! (Haha good one).

jedimarkj said: View Post
    I'm sure WETA will offer once the second or third film comes out... Very much look forward to that day
    Yep! I think that too and I'm looking forward to that day. Eventhough I think I'm gonna buy this too. I really like it

Contec said: View Post
    HA HA HA HA! You made my night with this xD
    From
    Scotland
    Aug 30, 2013, 12:30 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #7

Looks real nice, but i thought the Arkenstone was more of a teardrop shape in the movie, am i wrong? Good excuse to re-watch this weekend - I'll tell the wife it's for 'Research' purposes!!
  8. Keeping my lousy nickname RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Aug 30, 2013, 12:42 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #8

Wikipedia says that it is a sphere in the movie. I dunno.

Does this replica have a thousand facets like book says it should have, or only a couple hundred?
    (No, I don't expect you to count, but someone should know...)
  9. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Gnarnia, Tx
    Aug 30, 2013, 1:02 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #9

Well the first picture makes it look like it only has around a hundred while the third puts me under the impression that it has around six hundred.
    Looks like a great replica though, I'd love to have one.
    From
    Scotland
    Aug 30, 2013, 3:09 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #10

I assume these are for general sale, where is such a thing found?
  11. Nothing but the rain.... RPF Premium Member Pete SSS's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Aug 30, 2013, 6:22 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #11

As already stated, this is an official replica from the Book, endorsed by the Tolkien estate, but nothing to do with WETA or New Line. It's a lovely looking thing, but a very different design from the films.

Here are a few screencaps for some comparison, the ones where it's rolling into the horde of gold really give it away as being egg, or teardrop shaped

12. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 30, 2013, 8:11 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #12

G17RDY said: View Post
    Looks real nice, but i thought the Arkenstone was more of a teardrop shape in the movie, am i wrong? Good excuse to re-watch this weekend - I'll tell the wife it's for 'Research' purposes!!
    Yes, indeed. According to the film the Arkenstone is more like a teardrop. In fact, thanks to Pete SSS we can see that clearly: movie teardrop, book sphere. And yeah hahaha now that's a very good excuse

Darth Lars said: View Post
    Wikipedia says that it is a sphere in the movie. I dunno.

Does this replica have a thousand facets like book says it should have, or only a couple hundred?
    (No, I don't expect you to count, but someone should know...)
    Wikipedia says that? Very interesting since in the movie it is not sphere shaped.
    I will be buying this soon, so maybe I can help with couting the faces hehe

jazzygeoffery said: View Post
    Well the first picture makes it look like it only has around a hundred while the third puts me under the impression that it has around six hundred.
    Looks like a great replica though, I'd love to have one.
    Yep

I assume these are for general sale, where is such a thing found?
    In their official site around $70 I think. You can also find it in eBay.

Pete SSS said: View Post
    As already stated, this is an official replica from the Book, endorsed by the Tolkien estate, but nothing to do with WETA or New Line. It's a lovely looking thing, but a very different design from the films.

Here are a few screencaps for some comparison, the ones where it's rolling into the horde of gold really give it away as being egg, or teardrop shaped

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...bit-000355.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...bit-000373.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...bit-000387.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...bit-000378.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...bit-000638.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...bit-000678.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...bit-000687.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...bit-000636.jpg
    Thank you for the pics!
    And yes, it's more like egg/teardrop shaped. Then, it would be veeery nice to have both: book and screen accurate. Assuming that NC or WETA will make it out for sale soon
    From
    Scotland
    Aug 30, 2013, 8:54 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #13

Thanks to all you sleuths out there (petesss) for confirming my thoughts.

As much as this Arkenstone is more of a representation from the book, and as lovely as it is, i do hope that a movie accurate piece becomes available from someone like Weta or Noble.
    It's something that i would expect Noble to produce, giving their past offerings, i wonder if there are plans for such a thing, need to wait and see. Perhaps they are holding out until movie 2 & 3 are released as the Arkenstone will be more of a big deal after these movies, and they will have to keep some things in their back pocket for future release?
  14. Member Since
    May 2012
    Aug 30, 2013, 10:58 AM - Re: The Hobbit | The Arkenstone #14

Thanks to all you sleuths out there (petesss) for confirming my thoughts.

As much as this Arkenstone is more of a representation from the book, and as lovely as it is, i do hope that a movie accurate piece becomes available from someone like Weta or Noble.
    It's something that i would expect Noble to produce, giving their past offerings, i wonder if there are plans for such a thing, need to wait and see. Perhaps they are holding out until movie 2 & 3 are released as the Arkenstone will be more of a big deal after these movies, and they will have to keep some things in their back pocket for future release?
    Yeah, I believe Noble and probably WETA will create too. The only thing is that perhaps I will be buying the one from Noble. Why? Example: the Evenstar from The Lord of the Rings. WETA and NC made it. BUT if you see the Evenstar in the movie NC has the more accurate version... yeah, yeah I know WETA is WETA but just saying. Few days ago I compared Noble and WETA versions with the Evenstar in the movie and just realised that! Incredible but truth. So in simple words: I do hope they make the Arkenstone and propably I will be buying the one from NC