very fine work, looks amazing!
That is beautiful.
I've shown a pic to my wife, and she couldn't believe that it was styrene!
She then asked, "Why can't *you* do that?"
Thank you, and your wife!
Vary nice build
Looking great .
Thats really awesome Rob ! I have a cheap toy that makes the sounds...hahaha. How did you make the chrome part at the front ?
Thanks! The front piece is machined aluminum, but I didn't make it.
I've got some new info coming my way, with measurements from an original. So I'll be starting over soon. Kinda sucks, but I want to get it right.
I wanted an excuse to start over anyway. The P2 I started years ago wasn't made for molding, and would be a pain. I'll make the new one in two halves so it'll be easier.
And the shape wasn't quite right. If you look at the coke bottle curve from the front, it gets wide then narrows in again. The narrow part is concave on the original, but convex on mine. This makes the middle portion too wide. A misinterpretation of the photos on my part. Now I have the chance to correct it.
Last edited by robn1; Dec 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM.
TMOST pix were right, minus the shadows....
But yeah, I see what you're saying.
Frankly, this is the best scratch build I have ever seen! This is really impressive!!!!
I don't want to start an interest thread yet, and it'll be a while for that. But yes that's the plan. Thanks.
That's great news. Thanks.
Just wanted to update. I've been going over the info from SD, and adapting Sunking's plans to the new measurements. I've done a lot of copy/paste, and paint work to adjust the plans, shifting parts around. I'm almost done with that, and I'll start the new build this week.
It's amazing how close the plans are. The only real trouble spots are the dims based on the Jlong P1 kit, go figure.
Can't wait to see what you come up with!
can't believe i missed this thread...amazing work.
That is just amazing!
I got booted off the board this morning, but I'm back in. Viva la Resistance!
Love to watch this post...great work so far.....
Back to work! I cut two pieces of poplar for the P1. The bottom piece was cut in two at the separation line, then the two parts were taped together with double sided tape. This will allow me to shape it properly while maintaining a clean cut line.
I did the rough shaping on a bench sander.
I'll round over the corners with my Dremel, then finish by hand sanding. More tomorrow.