Help finding OT Dewback images / reference?

pandatrooper

I'm trying to track down some reference images of the original trilogy (not the special edition) Dewback. The original is hardly seen in the film, and there's more promo images of it than actual screen used pics.

I want to make a 1/6th scale sculpt of the Dewback to go with my Sideshow Sandtroopers.

I've already got the classic lobby card image with the low angle shot looking up at the Sandtrooper Davin Felth, and the Star Wars chronicles image, and a good one from the Making of Star Wars (the awesome side view photo with the extras with helmets off). But I haven't found many others.

I also found these interesting sites, which talk a bit about the auction of the one of 2 heads made for ANH. It was sold in 2005 and there's some shaky pictures of the head (good enough for proportions). Interesting to note that they used a fake rhino for the main body, and used fur to hide the transition of the head and tail!

http://www.worldcollectorsnet.com/news/newstories/news647.html
http://www.theforce.net/SWTC/exhibit/dewback.html

I know there's the Gentle Giant statue, and the 501st member in Japan who sculpted a full size one, but I'd prefer to use any original reference images if possible.

One area I'm not sure about is the feet. If they used the rhino body, were feet also rhino feet?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Thanks, if you could scan that one - that would be great. It shows a little more of the tip of the snout than others of the same image (they always seem to crop it too tight).

Thanks!

Sandtrooper20actors.jpg

This doesn't show much but I always thought it was such a cool pic.

Thanks for the help so far, I've actually sourced the ones posted (as mentioned above). Any other images would be great!

Thanks

That last pic is my favorite too. It's like he's giving you the stink eye.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't the Gentle Giant statue be one of the best references available, if not THE best reference, considering they digitally scan the actual actors, props, and even costume pieces whenever available. OR.. is their dewback statue more of an interpretation as the real world prop no longer exists?

I never knew that the original Dewback's body was a synthetic rhinoceros; that's amazing.

I always thought that the vintage Kenner toy Dewback looked dead-on accurate to the photos (the beast, anyway; the saddle was Kenner's own creation). It might be useful as a reference if you could pick one up.

I have a shot of what apparently is the original head cast - it was on display at Memorabilia in the UK some years back and is very detailed.
Would that be of some use?

I have a shot of what apparently is the original head cast - it was on display at Memorabilia in the UK some years back and is very detailed.
Would that be of some use?

I'd love to see the photo, as I am trying to make a two person, dewback costume right now.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back