Well, I've finally finished a few of the wizard candy boxes I have been working on for years.
First I did the Exploding Bon Bons.
Next was the Glacial Snow Flakes.
This was made easier because I found the original item that the prop makers built the packet around. I have produced the "hero" version as a wrap around label and the "stunt" version. The stunt matches the prop as displayed at the Potter exhibition in Japan. I suspect that the green discs on the right edge would have been too familiar to an Oriental audience. The photo here shows my "hero" replica.
Finding that box lead to the box used on the Black Pepper Imps.
I have produced labels to attach to the original found item to make my "hero" prop and also a scan to create the prop from the ground up.
This one is doubly interesting because a different box appears in the book "Harry Potter; Film Wizardry". I suspect that the box in the book (like the box of butterfly wings) does not figure in the films but was composed especially for the book. Notably, they have corrected the spelling of "fiery" from the mis-spelled "firey" on the original prop box.
I note that they are selling jars of imps at the Wizarding World. Again, I have never seen a screen shot of the jars in any of the films.
The next one is my favourite (or possibly the Lick O Rish Spiders).
The front and back of the candy features subtly different artwork.
I currently have too much candy in the bag. I also have to decide whether to wrap the candy pieces in orange paper like (I think) the screen used prop was, or to paint each piece with orange glitter as the touring prop shows.
I then tackled the mints.
Unlike the tins sold at the theme park, these are in a balsa box painted white to match the screen-used props.
The obvious candy to do was the beans.
I left these assuming that the theme park version would be identical to the screen used. It isn't. I had almost finished mine when news of the park's development started and then I put my digital files to one side. When I saw the retail box I dug out my version and finished it. This is the small box as featured in Prisoner of Azkaban. You'll notice that it has the accurate banner artwork and the feet. I am in two minds whether to do the larger and quite different version from the first film as well.
And finally ...
The artwork for these was finished some months ago, but I struggled to find some suitable metallic card to print on. Initially I settled on printing them out with a grey background, bt I was never happy. I have found this brushed aluminium film that photographs very like the original film prop. I have to laminate it to card, but I'm very pleased with the end result. I took a liberty with the actual candy in the bag. The original looks like black beads, or something wrapped in shiny black paper. I have used black, plastic spiders of three different sizes. You don't see them until you look really close!
There's only the Chocolate Frog boxes to finish now.