Harry Potter - Gringotts Gold Bar

KevinDG

Thought I would have a go at making a prop replica. Since my sculpting skills are not quite as good as most people on this network, I was thinking of alternatives and thought I would try 3D printing. I have never tried anything like it befor, so here are the results of my first attempt.

I had a picture I had taken from the HP Tour as reference. The whole thing is about 14cm by 6cm and 4cm high. I guessed the dimensions by looking at other objects in the display cases from the tour.

I dont know what to do now though. I'm scared spray painting it gold might just make it look a bit nasty and ruin the effect???

This looks amazing! If you are planning a run put me down for a few. and well about the paint prehaps airbrush that might work?

gold rub n buff might be the way to go check it out there are a frew projects on here using it great stuff kinda like shoe polish.

why not take a mould and make a few casts. You could then test your different paint options and see which works best for you.

Looks good....if you wanted to go a different route, you could always cast the piece in a base metal then gold plate it. That would give you the most realistic gold look, since you are essentially coating it with real gold (ableit a very thin layer). Electroplating can be done very cheap and affordably and still look great.

Just in case you're interested..those bars were injection moulded in a pre dyed gold flexible plastic They were cast in 2 pieces in an epoxy and aluminium mould and hot glued together, they were all hollow. I cast around 4000 of the bastards.

Wow, awesome job!
You are approximately right about the size of the bar.
It seems there are actually two sizes used in the movie, the first one measures 7.25 inches x 3 inches x 1.75 inches and the smaller one is 60% of this (according to an ebay listing of the actual screen used prop).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back