harlock weapons

parfaitelumiere

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello,I am planning to make a harlock costume,the 1984 version,and of course I want the weapons.
But I want "real" weapons,I mean,metal,working weapons,except gravity or energy bullets of course...

For the cosmodragoon I have some references,and I already found what will become my gun.

For the gravity saber I meet some problems,as often in anime series there are incoherences,design is changing,even during a couple of seconds.

Do you think I have to choose a large image,iconic,with close up,even it's not the most common design?

I want to make the verion with a skull,the diameter of the shaft is large on most of the pictures,and very thinner on the last and I like this version,but there are other details,there is a attachment ring,I would bet on a 30 mm diameter,not always visible,so I don't know if I have to make it or not...

I want to make it from alloys,aluminum for the guard,probably titalium for the shaft and 3 rods guard,and "I don't know what" for the handle,already have titanuim for it,so it may be titanium too...

so,what do you think?
the larger view?
or the most common?

MYIAGS3.jpgsabre2.jpgMYIAGS1.jpg6018.jpg

Translating cartoon objects in real life can be trick. I would make some mock-ups at different scales and see which looks better when you are holding it. It needs to look proportional to you.

yes,not easy I firtsly made a "1/1" scale from the hand,but it looked very small after knowing the "official" scale for a 1/1 prop I had to enlarge from 2000 to 3000 pixel size...
I forget the Matsumoto characters have "big" hands....it means I may reduce the handle for a better look,and keep blade original size,can be interesting

Started with blade parts,machined from titanium.

IMG_0594.JPG

Here are the middle part and the tip,the blade itself will be made from a titanium tubing really soft like a spring,similar to the blade in the anime.

The guard,skull shaped,will be carved from a solid piece of aluminum,no other choice,nothing to cast big metal parts.
I think the other pat of the guard will be made from aluminum too,because I have to bend it anw cut in half all along,so,aluminum would be easier to use,once treated with "solid anodisation" it would have a good look,grey color.
I may do the handle from aluminum too,instad of titanium,with grey finish,I don't know,it would leave more choice for shape and sizes,and would be far easier to machine....

I found a 9V red led for the tip,and a 9V soundboard for the sound,simple switch for the sound,when I press the trigger it makes light and sound,will be funny!

Here is the working on the belt buckle,skull is carved from a brass sheet:

IMG_6947.jpg

and I used a od german buckle as basis:

buckle ppp.jpg

Then some leather carving:

1975073_617470054998937_1082335573_n.jpg

The result:

buckle fin.jpg

After sanding and soft polishing:

10176263_637030906376185_8120627906957124250_n.jpg

yes it's a 150mm diameter rod section.
I made holowed bottom and chamfered top,and the blade hole is 1cm out of center axis to simulate alarger diameter,and use "only" a 150mm diameter aluminum rod.

Happy, I found a way to solve many assembly issues for the pommel-handle-gard, without buying a 500$ soldering tool, just with a rasp and grinding paper.

a36.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back