Hey guys! This is my first Halo prop thread on the RPF, but far from the first one I've ever made. In fact, Halo props are my specialty!
My project this time around is the MA37 assault rifle from Reach.
So, first things first, I got the blueprints I'm using for this project from Juliet76 from the 405th. They can be found here along with many other blueprints he's created.
My process for drawing up my own scaled blueprint first required me to determine how long the rifle needed be: 31.5 inches. Once that was established, I scaled the blueprints in MS Paint to be the correct size when I blew them up on my computer screen. After that was worked out, I simply put paper over my screen and traced the whole thing. BAM! Instant 1:1 scale blueprints!
Now that my master blueprint was done, I repeated the process for all the individual pieces and cut them out to make stencils.
With my stencil cut out, I then traced the shape onto the wood that I would be cutting it out of, in this case, 1/8" birch plywood. Because I would be cutting the same piece twice (once for each side), I used double sided tape to adhere two pieces of plywood together so that I would only need to cut everything out once. This method is not only a major time saver, but it also ensures that both sides will be perfectly symmetrical.
Time to cut the first piece out. First I drilled holes where there are hollow sections so that I could get my scroll saw blade in them. I then proceeded to cut the hollow gaps out.
Once the gaps were cut out, I cut the rest of the piece out with my band saw.
These pieces are now done and it's time to move onto the next layer. This layer is the main face and structure of both sides of the lower receiver. I repeated the same process from the first layer for this one.
The next step was to cut out the core that go between both sides. I used my blueprint to find out were I needed to leave a gap for the magazine well. Then I cut the core out of 1" poplar that I made from two laminated pieces of 1/2" together.
After I had cut the core out and glued it between both layers, I took the corners off all the edges with a 45° router bit. Clean!
Step one: COMPLETE!