Half Life 2 Gravity Gun build (tons o' pics!)

I will have to try and use your pics as reference for detail - But as if mine will come out anywhere near as good as yours ><. but If you rather I didnt, Ill stick to the ingame model xD This will only be for a convention as im not reproducing my HL2 stuff.

Go right ahead and reference all you want! I would recommend a different build technique if this is for costuming purposes though. The gun is extremely uncomfortable to hold for anything more than 5 minutes or so because of the way the weight sits on the front of the thing. I would estimate mine weighs between 8-10lbs, and it sucks to carry.

When you make your molds and casts, do you use any vacuum or pressure casting, or is this all done under ambient air pressure?

Ambient. I'd love to have a pressure pot and vac chamber, but the limitations of time and space (my own, not the universe) keep those bits out of reach. I'll need a bigger workshop before I can really expand my operation further than it is, and that can only come with a new house...

Last edited:
Ambient. I'd love to have a pressure pot and vac chamber, but the limitations of time and space (my own, not the universe) keep those bits out of reach. I'll need a bigger workshop before I can really expand my operation further than it is, and that can only come with a new house...

I've found the only thing I've ever needed to vacuum was clear plastics, mostly small stuff. That being said harbor freight has a nice little pressure tank for 80 bucks that works great... you have to rework the valves and whatnot but the way I set mine up I can either vacuum or pressure cast, although pressure casting was all I ever really needed to eliminate air bubbles... Although I wish I had a bigger setup...

Just saw your updates, I can't wait to see it all put together, it just keeps getting more awesome every time you update!

I know how that is. I'm trying to figure out how to fit a miter saw, band saw, table saw, rotocast machine, and drill press into what was basically a spare bedroom and still have room to move around and actually access the things.

I mentioned in my portal gun build thread that while I love Portal and it was one of my obsessions, that Half-Life was my first and true. I have to make this thing. It just has to be. I'll be going in a different direction for most of it, but like elro I'll probably have to steal a few of the details from that high res model, most notably the detailing on the front of the barrel. The inside glowing part I have ideas for, the rear I can figure out, but the front on the model is just completely void of details. I could make it up but I feel at least quite a bit of that model is going to be close to canon in the future, but for the most part I'm going to stick with what I have interpreted from the past releases.

Last edited:
(8-10 Pounds... converting... = 3.6 - 4.5 KG.. damn 0_0)Yeah I can imagine a little weight in it would be amplified VERY quickly when holding it, will have to ponder alternative materials to keep it light as possible. I thought it would be more appropriate to ask permission to reference your work rather than just go ahead without asking - when there is blatantly no other detailed reference material ><

One pre-decided material is PVC for the centre barrel - What else is lightweight and cylindrical? xD

Go right ahead and reference all you want! I would recommend a different build technique if this is for costuming purposes though. The gun is extremely uncomfortable to hold for anything more than 5 minutes or so because of the way the weight sits on the front of the thing. I would estimate mine weighs between 8-10lbs, and it sucks to carry.

Ill be making a Latex headcrab for this project as well =

LAMARR! :D

Im thinking of ways on mounting lamarr to a RC car / Or other RC thing, so that I can have the RC control in the grav gun so I can have a cute debeaked head crab running beside me.
Only issue ive had with this brain storm is identifying what I could use as the car part - Battery life is the only issue ^^;

Ill be making a short film with the headcrab - For those of you that have played the episodes, when Lamarr climbs into the space ship, ill be going into a dramatic slow motion montage of the good times lamarr and gordon had.

-Open movie with Lamarr climbing into the space shuttle, then go into a backflash sorta thing in slow motion and stuff - with the dead island trailer theme playing (emotional)
-Spin around holding lamarrs hands on a hill with nice bright blurring around the sides
-Have a pillow fight with crowbars on the pillow (iron on transfer)
-Tuck lamarr into bed (have a companion cube on a small pillow)
-Have a birthday party polaroid picture (zoom out slowly), have gman in the back, a portal cake, the gnome sitting there, Lamarr with the tf2 party hat on, and gordon cutting the cake with the spy's knife
-Ice cream scene, making sure to get ice cream over the goatee
-exchange BFF bracelets with lamarr

- end the short video with a computer screen showing lamarr in the space shuttle, have gordon pressing his hand on the screen just like armageddon, watch the shuttle blast off on the screen, and the video will go to fuzz. Then fade to black with gordon dropping his head.

In my head it looks good xD

I know how that is. I'm trying to figure out how to fit a miter saw, band saw, table saw, rotocast machine, and drill press into what was basically a spare bedroom and still have room to move around and actually access the things.
If you can afford it, you could always rent shop space if you are anywhere near an industrial park. I used to share shop space with my brother for working on old cars. No idea what the rent would be where you live though. And they had no insulation.

The thing with this gun being used in real life isn't really the weight as is the wonky handle design. The handles are just in the worst places to hold the gun. A custom sling of some sort would be needed to go conventioning with it for any considerable period of time to solve the grip problem.

Nick

Elro, I truly believe you're my doppleganger.
I too and working on a latex Lamarr (well, latex headcrabs en mass).
As well as shooting a short film.
PM if you wish to attempt a team up on a project, I've got a VERY long synopsis about how to go about making a HL movie.

........ at the time of your post (broken now) we both had 47 posts.... 0_0 :rolleyes<>:rolleyes CLONES!!!!!
that is strange! xD ill PM you.

The thing with this gun being used in real life isn't really the weight as is the wonky handle design. The handles are just in the worst places to hold the gun. A custom sling of some sort would be needed to go conventioning with it for any considerable period of time to solve the grip problem.

Nick
Or you could just train to become a theoretical physicist. You'll be in perfect shape to carry it around then. :)

Obviously, I missed my self imposed December 1 deadline, but that's not too surprising. the real deadline is Wednesday, and right now I'm on track to have the project wrapped by Monday.

...if everything goes well.

Here's whats gone on since last update:

Every part was weathered, than got a coat of clear to protect the grime and rust (man that sounds stupid to say) before assembly. I spent some time putting in all the ornamental screws that don't do anything on the main body...

6449907967_514dab7fa9_b.jpg

...as well as putting together some of the sub-assemblies.

6449908619_8b8d5ac669_b.jpg

6449908863_d391815efb_b.jpg

6449911143_e0e5121625_b.jpg

LEDs were mounted into the center barrel

6449911473_fbbb9b3af3_b.jpg

And at this point I had a bit of a concern about the view down the barrel itself. The way things were going, the only thing back there would be the bolt holding the rear handle and drum assembly on. The solution, obviously, was more LEDs.

I tossed this guy together with some scraps and parts I had laying around. It makes a nice glowing ring at the back of the gun, and also allows me to fit my socket wrench through the hole in the middle to assemble things as well as remove the rear half for maintenance if needed.

6449908167_786bd42c09_b.jpg

6449908357_2d497cf578_b.jpg

Then assembly began. There were a lot of wires that needed soldering.

6449912059_69c8c8ca3f_b.jpg

The gun turns on and off with this switch mounted on the underside. I wanted to use the button on the handle, but couldn't find a on/off pushbutton switch small enough to fit in the housing.

6449909651_ef1e8be064_b.jpg

The ardiuino peeking out from its corner...

6449910273_b81989fb49_b.jpg

I skipped some documentation, but who cares because the next pictures have GLOWING LEDs!

6449910483_5af385a133_b.jpg

6449910901_961719bc1f_b.jpg

And the view down the front with the glowin' donut in the back. I also added some screen mesh in between the circuitboards to give the interior of the barrel a little more dimension.

6449910703_626410a4eb_b.jpg

I have some small light leaks in between the crystals and the main barrel that I'll need to address, but otherwise things are looking good. Should have the rest of the assembly finished tomorrow, with time for small touch ups and additional weathering accents on Monday.

Last edited:
Damn Volpin, between Facebook, Flicker and here you're tough to follow. :D

I wanted to ask you how you re-interpreted the low-poly model into this actual model, but I saw at the beginning of this thread that you got the hi-rez model. Okay.
What I would like to know is : If you haven't had the hi-rez model, do you think you would have been able to reach the same result, with all the details and stuff, even if it means to re-invent some of them ? Or would you have rather stuck to the details you saw ?

You are beyond a pro. Great build. What do you use for the rust? Just saw the tread so if you already told the secret sorry.

If you haven't had the hi-rez model, do you think you would have been able to reach the same result, with all the details and stuff, even if it means to re-invent some of them ? Or would you have rather stuck to the details you saw ?

The barrel would have needed to be re-invented. I doubt I would have come to the same conclusion as what I have gotten in the high res files - I'm not a terribly good designer when it comes to creating things from scratch...

What do you use for the rust? Just saw the tread so if you already told the secret sorry.

All acrylic paint. I'll have a bit of a write up on that once the project is finished. Just no time now!

Got a lot of assembly done today. Nearly there...

6457405195_1a5013c9e3_b.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back