HAL 9000 Zero Budget Build... almost.

nickc

I have just finished my HAL 9000 build, which was to be at zero cost but due to primer and a few supplies closer to $9.

It is mainly built from cardboard, with some autobody filler, vacuum formed plastic and led. Before I could start, I had to find the clear dome but ended up vacuum forming it myself with a simple homemade setup which involved a large coffee can, shop vac and simple template. Finding the right plastic was the hardest part, especially in the recycling.

I also vacuum formed the black portion inside the lens that houses the LED. The LED was from an old dollar store lamp that was kicking around the basement.

The grille also took some time, but finally I found some corrugated cardboard with the correct number of ridges and set about drilling.

This has taken far longer than expected and overall I am very happy with the result, but I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks HAL9000_front_view.jpgHAL9000_right.jpgHAL9000_left.jpgHAL9000_monolith_view.jpgHAL9000_apart.jpgHAL9000_lens_closeup.jpgHAL9000_display.jpg

Thanks for all the positive comments and if anyone has any questions, suggestions or need any further info, let me know. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back