Golden Snitch Replica (deathly hallows)

AlexGordon

I've been searching everywhere on the internet for a good replica of a golden snitch without wings and I've come across several options. I've found the noble collection one, but to me, it looks absolutely terrible. I don't even want wings, and that one has wings plus a metal flight path. I've seen the coolFX one, but comparing it to this picture, it's not accurate at all to what I am looking for.

DH1_Golden_Snitch_%27I_Open_at_the_Close%27.jpg

That's absolutely the pattern I'm going for, and I do plan on 3d modelling the prop if all else fails. I'm sure I can come up with a way to have shapeways 3d print it in brass for me with the etched words and all. I know this will be a huge pain to model, but this is one of those props that I won't "settle" on. it has to be exactly the way I want it or I don't want it at all. Even further still, if I'm going through the trouble to model and make it myself, it's gonna be made in metal.

That said, I have had absolutely no luck finding more references of this particular snitch from any other angle. Based on that, I would be okay with having a snitch that is accurate on the "front" to the above picture and on the back to any other snitch (noble, coolfx, whatever).

So, I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Does anyone have any good references of the back of the snitch (this one or any other)?
2. Does anyone know if this snitch was a physical prop or a CGI model in this scene?
3. Does anyone have the exact size of the coolFX snitch (the diameter of the overall sphere, not including the raised accents)
4. Does anyone already have a 3d model of this snitch? So far I've seen absolutely nothing on shapeways but I'm curious to see if anyone else has already done this.

IIRC, a Deathly Hallows version of the Snitch is on display at one of the official exhibitions, so there are some photos of it available out there on Flickr and such. I thought I had them saved, but I can't seem to find them at the moment, but here's a site with a couple of pictures:

The Making of Harry Potter | Amanda Hayler

The metal Noble Snitch is actually neat since it's the only one made of metal. I know a few people have taken it off of the base and removed the wings, then covered up the small altered spots with gold foil. I believe the Hallmark ornament is the only mass produced version of the Snitch to have the updated DH details/lines, but obviously it's not screen accurate either...

Well, it's great to know there are some pics out there somewhere. I guess I just have to find them. So far, I've got nothing. just the one with the wings that isn't right. The outer ring in the "grill pattern" is recessed on that prop.

I'm really surprised I'm the first to point this out, though I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice it. As big as harry potter is, I would have given it maybe a month after deathly hallows came out on blu ray before someone would have had one of these made and posted.

I've noticed that while HP is pretty popular in general, the RPF has a rather small dedicated following to its props, at least compared to other franchises. However, the Snitch is one of my top three HP props; I've had a few of them (and still have one of the rare metal promo Snitches) so I caught the differences right away when I saw the film.

That does explain it then. I definitely wanted a snitch, and I was so shocked to see that noble only offered the one that they do. It's a no-brainer to make a deathly hallows version in metal with the engraving that has no built in wings or stand.

That said, I was really upset to find that they had multiple bottle of skele-gro at the wizarding world of harry potter (meaning there is a way to produce them from a mold) and they don't sell them. That's the #2 prop that I wanted. #3 was the sword of gryffindor, which I've already gotten, and I modified the display mount so that I don't have to unscrew the "permanent clamp" every time I want to "examine" the sword.

I also can't believe they don't make a gringotts key from sorcerer's stone and a basilisk fang. A "regulation" quaffle would be cool as well. They don't have to make absolutely everything, but some of the things they do make should have been way lower on the list than some of the things that they don't.

I also can't believe they don't make a gringotts key from sorcerer's stone and a basilisk fang. A "regulation" quaffle would be cool as well. They don't have to make absolutely everything, but some of the things they do make should have been way lower on the list than some of the things that they don't.

I am also disappointed by the fact that Noble Collection failed to produce a Ravenclaw Diadem

Will watch this thread with interest!

That said, I was really upset to find that they had multiple bottle of skele-gro at the wizarding world of harry potter (meaning there is a way to produce them from a mold) and they don't sell them. That's the #2 prop that I wanted.

Member Hotshot made and sold a skele-gro-bottle that looked really good. Can't find his thread but here is another thread we started to collect pictures of the bottle. http://www.therpf.com/f9/skele-gro-bottle-105014/

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I saw those, but they just weren't perfect (and I was too late). granted that perfection means 3d modeled and printed, I understand, but still.

I think the thread was deleted in the junkyard because I couldn't find it even though there was reference to it in several places.

I am also disappointed by the fact that Noble Collection failed to produce a Ravenclaw Diadem

Will watch this thread with interest!

yeah, I'm gonna get the cheap ebay one for now, but I'd love a nice one.

And c'mon, a golden egg? I saw one at universal, and they could easily reproduce one for $100-150

Well, I'm gonna start compiling screen caps and begin the modelling process in the next few days. It's definitely gonna be a challenge, but this is one of those props that "good enough" is not actually good enough.

Agree entirely. At one point I thought about emailing the person responsible for Merchandising at the Wizard World. There are so many props I would buy - would love the Boggart Jack in the box, Skele-gro bottle, boars head jug used in the great hall, I could go on. I am tempted to fly to Japan when the new wizarding world opens out there as they had some great items before. I have a gryffindor umbrella that has a lion's head and a little blanket for the quidditch world cup, both from Japan.

If you do make the snitch would love to buy one if you end up selling.

I've tried to do a lot of research on the snitch, and I've also visited one of the exhibitions that displays a snitch prop.

From what I've been able to see, at least a couple of variations were made. With the recessed front (initially thought this was a visual illusion), and the protruding front. CoolFX is the most screen accurate one readily available, as it has lineage with the original prop produced for The Philosopher's Stone - as to whether it is accurate to the Deathly Hallows one, I don't know - but it is your best reference for front, back, bottom, and top design. While it is CGI in the scene in DH pt 2, I believe at the beginning of the scene where it opens up, the design is the same as on physical props.

To your questions! ...

1. If you search for a couple of users; ecl (I think), and Beechy McFly, they've got the CoolFX snitch, and have posted some quite good photos that you can use as reference. I've done this - and produced a pretty rad (if I do say so myself) 3D model of the snitch for a university project. However, I've since lost the C4D files, and someone thought the physical prop was too cool for school and stole it from the display, so, one of my proudest props is out there somewhere cuz someone loved it!
Bittersweet really. I'll remodel it one day!

2. In that particular scene, the snitch itself was a physical prop and the writing was added in Post. Much like with the One Ring in LOTR.

3. I believe Beechy McFly made mention of the dimensions of the CoolFX snitch - but there are definitely a few guesstimates out there. The book described it as one size, and film makers made it another size, and most people just bring it down to what feels most comfortable in their hand or looks good on display. 1.5" or so is the rough size people tend to use for the handmade props. I think the Hallmark snitch is around this size too (I can check if you want) and while it's a little smaller than what is in the movie, it feels quite comfortable to hold. Though if I made a custom one, I'd bump it up a few mms.

4. As mentioned, I did have a 3D model, and I have seen one floating around the internet somewhere, but I can't remember where - but with some keen modelling, you should be able to whip up a great one with the reference photos already posted here somewhere.

Based on what I can remember of the prop I have seen first hand, while the base and wings are fanciful, the actual snitch from Noble (from the front at least) is quite close. Perfect? No. You'll never get that in a 'licenced' prop. Ever. At least from my experience. (See One Ring props - all the licences in the world and there's still only one place that can make it like the original. Trust me.)
But you'll get close.
The only way for it to be perfect would be to track down the designer/s who sculpted the film props and get them to make one for you.

But I'll definitely be following this post with interest, cuz I'd love to see what you come up with. And if it's offered on Shapeways, I'll order one!
There was also someone here who made quite a nice interpretation of the snitch. Not screen accurate by any stretch - but still a very nice model.

I'll stop talking now - I'm probably ranting, but hopefully in my mumbling, there's a semi-decent piece of information!

OH! And while I think of it - the text on the Hallmark snitch offered is merely a sticker that can be peeled off. Nonetheless, it's a really nice prop that if you want to lay down whatever they're going for on eBay these days (about $50 - good ol' premium prices!) is very nice to display on a little wooden stand.

IMG_5284.JPG

This is the original from the movie photographed in studios. As you can see wings are first cut in sheet of silver "chrismas tree shaped" and then whole thing is folded to half.

I belive the changes in design, were made exactly because they created a new working model of the snitch that opens up.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a special feature on one of the Wizards collection discs where they show the new version up close.
I'll try to find it this weekend, if I do I'll post a few screenshots.

Just found the feature I talked about on the last post.

After closer inspection I noticed the exact version your looking for, isn't actually shown in there.

But, you can see one of the working/opening versions on some of the screencaps.
Check them out here:
the_golden_snitch - a set on Flickr

Either way, hope it helps.
Enjoy!

every little bit helps. Thanks for that.

I'm probably gonna get started on this model sometime next month. I'm just wrapping up my hunger games arena bow and after that I've got some commissions to catch up on. I'll post here when I have something to share. In the meantime, everyone feel free to keep the reference pictures coming.

The writing on the snitch in that picture looks laser engraved to me. We have some gold plated bronze snitches based off of the cool FX version that when a patina is applied look very much like that picture shown above. The resin painted cool fx ones look nice but pale in comparison to the same design in gold plated bronze... I mean there is a night and day difference in appearance, feel and weight. I searched this site and so far can find no reference of a gold plated bronze snitch that looks like the cool fx version... maybe I am missing the thread that shows it and talks about it. Anybody here seen what I am talking about?

I have 2 early Golden Snitches from CoolFX; one is resin cast and foiled and one is metal. Here are a few photos (excuse the dust) if it helps.

Don't know the dimensions though, sorry. Let me know if I can help with more photos.

CoolFXSnitbk2.JPGCoolFXSnitside.JPGCooFXSnitbk1.JPGCoolFXSnitches2.JPGCoolFXSnitches1.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back