Gold finish - Idol, Arc, Bars, C3P0...Post um

joeranger

Sr Member
Please post pics of what you have done, the technique used, if you are pleased with the result, cost, effort, durability

Gold has always been valuable because of it's unique luster. This is why you can't buy a can of spray paint and be 100% happy with the results. Even gold leaf has it's draw backs. I have read a dozen threads about different techniques. A quick summary which I welcome feedback.

Professional - Expensive, but there are chrome shops that will gold finish your props for hundreds or thousands of dollars. Results look good.

Gold leaf - A bit pricey, but really does simulate metal. Hard and messy to work with. Need to practice to avoid fingerprints. Best with flatter surfaces. Durable finish that can take wear and handling.

Faux Gold leaf - Less expensive, results almost as good as gold leaf.

Paint - Paint will never really look like metal, but it is easy and can be as cheap as a $5 can of spray paint. There are premium paints as well as high tech automotive results. Some of the gold paint threads were from 08, so I think there are some much better metallic paints now.

I've been very happy with my results with Rustoleum's Brilliant Gold Metallic:

!BYg4lhQ!mk~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BKiB8TvsQQ~~_35.JPG

The paint is about 25-30% BACKGROUND reflective -if I can put a number to it- (if 100% was a mirror and 0% was no reflection). It is VERY light reflective, which gives the illusion it is background reflective.

I've been meaning to put up some pics of my Threeps.

I used a pre-coat of gloss black and it made a difference. I did not use black on the forehead and its the least reflective part of the droid. It dries well and doesn't fingerprint, but make sure the black coat is fully dry before you apply:

And my Threepio (in various lighting conditions/completion/and Weathering:

photo2f.jpg

photo3f.jpg

photonnnnnnnnnn.jpg

photommmmmmm.jpg

photon.jpg

f.jpg

photo2hhhh.jpg

photo4f.jpg

photo4-12.jpg

photo2-18.jpg

photonnnn.jpg

You can see the trees in his armpits 5 down. Sure its NEVER going to beat getting it chromed, but its been nice for my tastes.

Nice Threepio.:thumbsup

I have never found a rattle can gold I am happy with. Closest I have found has been the Plastikote Brilliant Metallic Gold, which is great but unfortunately never properly cures and cannot be handled. Ever.

The only solution is sending your prop the professional route, which even then is fraught with hazards.

Which is why, by and large, I avoid gold props. It's too stressful.

One fun thing about painting Threepio outside was all the people honking and cheering through their car windows. One of my best prop memories!

Wow that looks absolutely fabulous. Great workmanship on that threepio thegreatgalling. In fact the original C-3PO wasn't all that shiny either because of reflection issues regarding the rest of the set and the camera, director, script-and continuity girl etcetera :lol

-Chaim

This subject comes up a lot. What is the best Gold "Chrome" in a rattle can? is a great thread from a while back. I haven't used it myself, but Alsa Corp's Killer Cans seems to be the best there is as far as rattle cans go.

I haven't done anything in chrome yet, but when I get around to finishing my dismembered See-Threepio backpack, I plan on using that stuff.

From what I read in that thread, every other solution seems to have one problem or another:
  1. Looks like shiny plastic or like polished metal, not chrome
  2. Looks great, but would leave fingerprints forever
  3. Looks great, but the sealant to protect the chrome coat dulls the finish
Alsa's product seems to be the only one that does it all. Still not as perfect as true vacuum-metalized chrome, but damn good.

Every single person I've ever spoken to on this subject maintains that the quality of the surface you are chroming is critical regardless of how you are chroming it. In other words, the surface needs to be finished so smooth that it already looks like glass before you chrome it. One of the T-800 builders on this board has repeatedly mentioned how unforgiving chrome can be.

Here are some examples of the Killer Chrome stuff from that thread:
Chrominator's Photostream
what-best-gold-chrome-rattle-can-2.jpg-18422d1260482154

There are some good results from Plasticote and other products in that thread as well.

Last edited:
As discussed in the original thread, Plastikote looks wonderful at first but it never properly cures and you can't touch it without tarnishing it. For a seldom touched display item however, it will work wonders.

Wow that looks absolutely fabulous. Great workmanship on that threepio thegreatgalling. In fact the original C-3PO wasn't all that shiny either because of reflection issues regarding the rest of the set and the camera, director, script-and continuity girl etcetera :lol

-Chaim

Yep, particularly in ESB, Threeps is quite dull...

Spectra Chrome system, applied by Creations N' Chrome in Valencia, CA.

They previously used Cosmichrome, but as far as I know the two processes are pretty similar. Durability is great, provided you prep with a primer. If not, the paint can "peel" off with some wear. Very resistant to scuffing and scratches.

Prepwork required hours and hours of wetsanding. Its a pain in the ass, but any minor imperfections will be amplified 100x once you get the shiny on it.

I went through a bunch of options before going with this. Its rather expensive, but in my opinion, worth every penny.

5114199347_75bdae67f0_b.jpg

4807614902_21b6991db6_b.jpg

4816797822_749d7de768_b.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back