Gold/chrome paint????

bounty treasure

Been a while since I've been on board.... Did a little site searchin'

Is there anything out there (from a can) that's 'mirror' qualtiy? If so - What..

And if not, what still exists for the chroming or vac metalizing (or whatever process) here in the US (And where)

Thanks

The BEST rattle-can "mirror" finish I've ever gotten is from Ace Hardware brand Mirror Chrome paint.

The first time I used it, I was totally surprised at the quality of the finish. But there's a learning curve.

Your surface has to be totally clean, no dust, no fingerprints. It should be really smooth, I usually wet sand with 400 grit.

It takes a LONG time to dry. And I mean LONG. It will dry to the touch in a few hours, and you can usually buff fingerprints out with a t-shirt, but if you press on it too hard, you'll mar it. Then you have to re-paint it. I usually leave it for about a week. And in that week, I don't touch it. I don't make eye contact. I try not to even think about it. Because I'll mar it. :lol

I painted parts of my girlfriend's Celeste Morne costume with it. Pay particular attention to the shoulder bells. I painted the hip plates with it too, but they weren't totally smooth.

girl40.jpg

I've used Dupli-Color chrome spray paint from a rattle can that I bought at PepBoys with great results. It's fast drying, but your surface must be smooth as said above at 400 grit. The only problem is you can't touch it without leaving fingerprints and oil residue from your fingers tarnishes the finish. If you clear coat it it grays out the finish. A furniture polish clear is better than a spray can clear.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back