Ghost in the Shell - Togusa's Mateba Replica by Marushin - Review

Mike J.

Master Member
I apologize for posting this later than I said I would.

The following is a review of the Marushin "Togusa's Mateba M-M2007," a gas-powered airsoft revolver. This review is written by and is designed for an anime and / or replica props enthusiast - it is not written by nor intended for a serious airsoft hobbyist.

Manufacturer: Marushin. A medium-size Japanese airsoft & hobby company.

This is a functional, gas-powered airsoft revolver, designed to replicate the character Togusa's weapon of choice in the 1995 anime film Ghost in the Shell.

This is currently available from certain airsoft dealers abroad and in the US.

Cost varies, from $190 to $250 US dollars.

Packaging is a well-executed cardboard box, with pictures and text printed in color, reasonably suitable for display.

Dimensions: 10.25 inches long (from end of barrel to end of grip, parallel to barrel), 6.5 inches tall (from base of grip to top of frame, perpendicular to barrel), 1.5 inches wide (across cylinder).

Materials: Metal & plastic. Most external metal parts are probably zinc, painted black. The plastic parts are mostly matte black, with the exception of the gloss brown handle. Construction is relatively solid, with virtually no rattling or creaking (with the exception of the brass cases - they fit rather loosely in their chambers).

Accuracy to the original: Generally, very good. The frame is branded "Mateba, Pavia Italy" on one side and "CAL. 9mmPARABELLUM" on the other. The user's right side is also marked "(C) S/K B M", "CAT. 5577", "001083", "MARUSHIN" and "STGA". Details like the trigger, cylinder release and front sights appear accurate. The only faults I can find in this regard are the shape of the trigger guard and the length of the barrel (in proportion to the rest of the gun). Both of these are minor. Please see the pictures for more information.

Ease of use: Generally easy. Plastic BBs (of the uncommon size of 8mm) must be manually loaded into their brass cartridges (a simple tool is provided), which are then loaded into the cylinder. The gun's internal gas tank must be filled and then you may fire. The cylinder holds only six shots, and no extra shells are provided. A small bag of 8mm BBs is, however. Hop-up can be adjusted through a hole in the top of the barrel, with a small Allen wrench (provided). The gun can function as single-action (with manual 'c0cking' of the hammer) or double action.

Disassembly: Relatively easy. Though the instructions list no disassembly order or parts diagram, the gun is composed of few major assemblies and can be dismantled easily with one or two screwdrivers. Disassembly is not recommended, due to risk of damage or injury.

Accessories: Small bag of about 30 8mm BBs. BB loading tool. Allen wrench. Instruction manual. Small paper bull's-eye target. Replica 9mm 'marker' bullet keychain. Six brass shells.

Verdict: Positive. Comparing this gun to the "BRU Special Issue Model 2019", I believe the Marushin Mateba comes out on top. The two are reasonably similar in price, materials and mass.

For more information, please ask :)

-Mike

Last edited:
Think you forgot the pics... I'm REALLY interested in picking one of these up. Do you have any idea if they're going to make an M-5? *drools*

It looked like WackyChimp's site was on the fritz a while ago, so I waited on posting pics. Here they are:

mm8.jpg

mm5.jpg

mm6.jpg

mm2.jpg

mm1.jpg

mm3.jpg

mm9.jpg

mm7.jpg

And the 9mm marker:

mm4.jpg

A few notes on the marker: It is just under 1.5 inches long. Appears to be made entirely of metal. No visible seams. Clean paint job and markings. The 'keychain' base unscrews from the bottom. My only gripe is that the radiation symbol is distorted as printed. It appears 'squeezed' - too narrow or too tall.

-Mike

mm10.jpg

Major metal parts:

Front sight
Front barrel 'mouth'
Trigger guard
Trigger
Crane
Ejector ('star')
Ejector rod
Cylinder back plate
Cylinder release
Hammer

Major plastic parts:

Barrel housing
Frame
Grip

Note: The barrel housing has a metal weight inside it. Appears to be a slab of zinc or steel.

Disassembly:

http://lagunshop.militaryblog.jp/e32583.html

-Mike

A note about airsoft importation, trademarks and US customs:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=48154

Here are the results of my experience ordering from WGC:

Order placed August 12.

Quote received from WGC August 12.

Payment sent August 13.

Packaging begins August 13.

Shipped from Hong Kong August 18, via Speedpost EMS.

Arrived at my location (Florida, USA) August 21.

Package arrived undamaged, and apparently unopened by customs. If they did open it, they evidently found no problems.

The package was a double-walled corrugated cardboard box, securely taped closed. Inside, the airsofts were in their original retail boxes, which were taped shut, then wrapped in bubble wrap. WGC had also jammed a medium-sized terrycloth towel in there, to take up extra space and prevent the contents from sliding around.

Details:

Original boxes & trademarks: The original 'retail' boxes for the airsofts were similar to shoeboxes in construction. WGC had removed any trademarks on the boxes by X-acto knife-ing a rectangle around them and peeling off the printed layer, leaving the paperboard backing present. They then unfolded the box tops and refolded them inside-out, so that the printed side was now on the interior of the box tops. Product codes were written in Sharpie on the now blank boxes, which were then scotch-taped closed along all four sides.

Instructions & trademarks: Trademarks / tradenames on the cover pages of the instructions were also X-acto-ed out, leaving small rectangular holes.

Airsofts & trademarks: All trademarks / tradenames on my airsofts were carefully covered by what appeared to be black masking tape. This very easily came off, leaving no apparent residue.

Airsofts & orange markings: My guns had about 1 inch of the external frame / slide spray-painted bright orange, as stipulated by certain US laws. WGC had carefully disassembled the exterior exterior slides / frames, then painted them and reassembled them - there was no paint on the barrels or front sights. For one gun, the orange paint was easily removed almost entirely with scotch tape - it simply lifted off. For the other, I am as yet unable to remove the paint. It appears to have been primed first. I have not used anything stronger than rubbing alcohol, WD-40 or Pine-Sol. I will have to carefully try stronger solvents.

-Mike

The grips are way off from the one in the show. I actually think the Poseidon looks better, it's a lot more accurate to Togusa's...but it's resin :wacko

I would pick up this airsoft if it weren't for the UK's dumb imitation sidearms laws.

I wish they made one that looked more like the Unica Model 6. There aren't enough features on the Togusa model, it looks too plain.

The Unica is awesome with it's strange slab sided cylinder etc. Neat looking gun.

Which art book is that from? The ones I have are from Season 1 & 2 of SAC and Solid State Society, all which show the grips like the Poseidon. The version above is kind of ugly to me compared to the SAC one.

Was the version in the movies the one Marushin have released?

Last edited:
That's from "The Analysis of Ghost in the Shell".

From what I can tell, Marushin based theirs on the 1995 movie version.

-Mike

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back