Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. thetasigma is offline thetasigma
    Jul 18, 2011, 2:18 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #26

Yes they are on all 4 sonics.
  2. thetasigma is offline thetasigma
    Jul 18, 2011, 2:48 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #27

Yes all of the props have the red button on the rear of the 11th Doc's Sonic
    Jul 18, 2011, 8:50 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #28

Thanks Theta, I was just curious as to whether it was removed or if it will ever be shown on screen.

As for the MFX 'debate' I don't deny the MFX had its flaws, though I would never go as far as to say it was bad.

Maybe CT will create a carrying case like this one for his 11th Doctor's Sonic?
    From
    Stirling, Ontario, Canada
    Jul 18, 2011, 9:51 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #29

thetasigma said: View Post
    Oh come on no is going to challenge me by saying Im crazy or wrong for what I said in the previous post?
    Looking for a confrontation within your first dozen posts is not really a great way to come into a community, eh.
  5. jedibugs is offline jedibugs
    Jul 18, 2011, 9:53 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #30

The red buttons are actually on the props, but none of them are functional and never have been. Something about the way the circuit is makes it impossible for the button to work.

VortexRunner said: View Post
    I don't think it looks like a CO screwdriver, though in terms of accuracy it doesn't live up to the likes of CT's Sonic. Does anyone know if the red buttons were a feature on all four sonics and if they are still functioning?
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Jul 18, 2011, 1:28 PM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #31

jedibugs said: View Post
    The red buttons are actually on the props, but none of them are functional and never have been. Something about the way the circuit is makes it impossible for the button to work.

That's an interesting bit of info. Can you share how you learned that?

-best

Dan
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 18, 2011, 2:11 PM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #32

I could guess...
  8. Laundry Sheriff RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Jul 18, 2011, 2:19 PM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #33

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    You could always just build your own...

Do you happen to have any other pictures of your build?! That looks incredible so far.

-Nick
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Jul 18, 2011, 2:29 PM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #34

Not yet. I'm still prototyping a lot of the pieces, but have had certain parts (like the knurled aluminium slider) machined out of aluminium and so far everything is coming along quite well. The steel parts in this pic will obviously be copper plated when I'm ready to finish this off. The prop is a challenging piece, but a lot of fun to work on.

Dan
  10. jedibugs is offline jedibugs
    Jul 18, 2011, 4:48 PM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #35

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    That's an interesting bit of info. Can you share how you learned that?

-best

Dan
    I can't seem to find the site anymore... It was something I came across while looking up the prop a few months back. It actually had a couple pics of the butt-end of the prop open and showing the button. It had some descriptions and it looked like it might have been a scan from some sort of book...something like the DK books, but it didn't say and I haven't found that either. Wish I'd saved the pics!
  11. Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Jul 18, 2011, 10:43 PM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #36

Does anyone know which (model) Sennheiser case that is?
    From
    Midwest
    Jul 19, 2011, 12:16 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #37

I could have sworn we saw Smith holding the sonic with the top part coming out the bottom of his hand using the red button to light it up in one of the more recent episodes.

I will have to re-watch, maybe I saw it wrong.
    From
    New Jersey
    Jul 19, 2011, 7:23 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #38

None of the props physically exist; they are all CGI...maybe.
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Jul 19, 2011, 11:44 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #39

In The Time of Angels, does Matt (pretend to) use the bottom button? When River asks him to 'sonic her'. He holds it horizontally and with two hands, but i can't tell whether he flips the bottom cap just as he brings it up.
    From
    the 6th planet passed Pluto
    Jul 19, 2011, 1:20 PM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #40

Last edited by NTBBCPD; Feb 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM.
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Jul 19, 2011, 1:25 PM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #41

phez said: View Post
    I could have sworn we saw Smith holding the sonic with the top part coming out the bottom of his hand using the red button to light it up in one of the more recent episodes.

I will have to re-watch, maybe I saw it wrong.
    It does look like Matt uses the red button to light up the sonic sometimes, but that doesn't necessarily mean the button is functional.
    Tennant used to do this all the time with his sonic. he would put his thumb on the cap and act like he was activating it from the bottom, but was actually lighting up the tip by pressing the side button with his pinky.

Dan
  17. Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Aug 11, 2011, 1:04 AM - Re: Four Sonic Screwdrivers plus carrying case on the set of Doctor Who #42

I have some new information on the case.

1. Part Number
    2. Internal Dimensions
    3. Higher resolution images of the case.

After a bit of searching, I found the right Sennheiser case. It's part of a microphone accessory kit. The model number is "MZ 2". These kits are available online for around $35-40.

After taking out the foam, I measured the inside of the case. The space the 4 sonics are in is 223 mm long. It is 141 mm wide. If you include the pockets where they are storing switches and batteries, it is 161 mm wide.

Here are some higher resolution images of the case with the sonics on the Doctor Who set.

All sizes | SonicCaseInsideCropped2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | SonicCaseInsideCropped1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by jtokash; May 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM.