Found Item: Torchwood Stun Gun!

Coz

Sr Member
Okay, so in episode 8 (They Keep Killing Suzie) Captain Jack brandishes a Stun Gun. It's a brief appearance, tho. But does get a mention in the dialogue.

Happily, pics of the prop were posted on the BBC's Torchwood website, and it looked kinda familiar:

TorchwoodStunGunJ.jpg

(Pics from BBC Torchwood website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/index_nonflash.shtml )

A little Google and a spot of eBay:

83_1.JPG

(Pic from link below)

Ended Auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...27402%26fvi%3D1

It's a '3/8ths inch Reversible Air Drill with a Keyless Chuck'. Very little appears to have been done to it for filming (always a good sign for us lazy prop makers.).

Hope this gives something else for Torchwood fans to look for. :)

Hopefully it has more of a role in another ep - it does mention that it is "Engineered for human and alien life-forms".

C.

thats awsome :) I really hate the torchwood site, im trying to view jacks safe and the prop pics there, but it comes up blank, gahhhh

I love that it has a "stun" and a "kill" setting.
I always wanted to see a manual for the original Trek phaser showing settings: "Stun," "Kill" & "Heat Rocks"

Neat find Coz.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Coz @ Dec 5 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]1371726[/snapback]</div>
Cheers guys. :)

Kylash - the BBC site uses Flash for the pics - if your player isn't working, that could be it.
Any props in particular?

Grabbed some pics off the site - look here for zoomed-in pics (glove, knife, pendant, book scanner etc):

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/Coz_...op%20Pics/?sc=3

Oh, and I made these up to be going on with:

TorchwoodCircle-1.jpg

TorchwoodCautiosj.jpg

:biggrin:

Coz.
[/b]

You Rock..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kylash327 @ Dec 5 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]1371741[/snapback]</div>
pendant, got the pics from your posting there, thanks so much.
[/b]

You're welcome.

Tekmage- where's the 'aw shucks' smiley? :)

As for the stripes, well...

TWWarningStripes1.jpg

TWWarningStripes2.jpg

NOTE: These are 'best guess' as I don't have one of these to hand as yet - so, overlong. On its way, tho. :)

While I'm at it:
TorchwoodUDArrow.jpg

Just got me some Letraset letters for the 'STUN' and 'KILL' settings (wonder if the prop guy is a Space: 1999 fan?).

I think the front is just plain with two over & under 'barrels' - it is possible that there is a raised area beneath the 'barrels' with a hole at the center.

Bad pic warning:
PossibleTWStungunfront.jpg

Larger shot of the gun (slight angle to the front):
TorchwoodStungun2j.jpg

This might just be where the drill chuck would normally mount, with the two barrels being stuck into screw or bolt holes. Will know more soon.

I plan to strip the guts out and fit a couple of the ubiquitous Torchwood blue LEDs into the barrels, wired to the trigger.

Glad to be of service. :D

I have more info, as my 'stun gun' arrived today.
Drill1.jpg

It's cast metal (with a little flashing around the inside parts of the trigger), and fairly heavy. Makes a nice growly noise when you turn the chuck. :)

The internals on mine were only very lightly lubricated on the gears, with nothing elsewhere, so no major cleanup required to remove grease and oil.

Now - here's a little how-to to be going on with:

1. Inside the drill chuck is a philips crosshead) screw that locks the chuck in place. Remove that (its very tight) then you can unscrew the chuck itself from the er, spline, I think ya call it?

No pics for this step as I screwed this part up and had to get the chuck cut off with a grinder. In case you're wondering, cut just below the seperating line to get through the screw. Yay for brute force.

Drill2a.jpg
Drill2.jpg

2. The air hose coupling: Basically a hollow bolt there's a rubber bung in the end of it in the pics) - strong pliers or molegrips (or a ringspanner). The surround is plastic and held in by two small screws.

Drill3.jpg
Drill4.jpg

3. The cowling: unscrews - tho you may need a vice to clamp it unti; loosened.
Inside the body is a bunch of stuff we won't be needing.

Drill6.jpg
Drill6a.jpg

The guts aren't fixed, but will slide out (light friction fit).

Drill9.jpg

Nice & clean.

Drill7.jpg
Drill7a.jpg

4. The 'spline' part has a couple of tightly fitted bearings - put the cowling on a tough surface back first, and hammer the spline to knock the whole unit out.

Drill8.jpg
Drill8a.jpg

The guts as they would be inside the drill:

Drill9a.jpg

Hey - custom sabre cutaway?

NOTE: All internal parts are loose and seperate very easily when out of the body. No springs or tension of any kind tho. Could make a little bit of a mess and get ya yelled at some.

5. The trigger: This section is removable (no pics of this bit - gimme a holler if you want any tho):
Knock out the rolled pin alongside the trigger, move the switch to the middle, grasp the trigger and pull the unit out. This leaves a hollow about 1/2" wide & 1 1/4" deep, which should be big enough for a reliable push to make switch. There are already holes you can feed wires through, too.

In my other post, I mentioned the possibility of screw holes in the front cowling - I was wrong:

Drill5.jpg
Drill5a.jpg

Reach for the sky.

Looks like the barrels are fixed to a seperate plate mounted to the front of the cowling.

Comparing the real thing to the prop pics, it also appears that a buttplate was added to the grip (maybe 5mm?). It just looks too flat and uniform to be just fillered.
Made a rough template, but I also allowed for the inset butplate instead to allow for possible lighting & access:

TorchwoodStungunButtJ.jpg

Something I couldn't work on without the actual item, the switchplate:

TorchwoodStungunSwitchplateJ.jpg

7: Stickers / Decals measurements:

Cowling Front section: 38mm Dia. Cowling Back section 42mm Dia.

Cowling stripes: 132mm x 32mm (WIDE strip) 122mm x 8mm (NARROW strip)
Circle sticker: 27mm Dia.
Trigger Switchplate: 32mm wide x 30mm high.

Hope this helps ya on your way.

Coz.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Coz @ Dec 7 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]1373574[/snapback]</div>
I have more info, as my 'stun gun' arrived today.
[/b]
I don't see how I'm going to be able to stop myself from doing this one. Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting.

Same here, you guys are blazing the trail. Waiting for mine too. Hope the stun gun gets more air time in the future.

Update- Just got mine...

Quick bump for new Torchwood fans - Season 2 episode 4 (Meat) features the return of the stun gun! Yay!

Thought some fans might not have caught this before.

C.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back