Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 7, 2009, 6:01 AM - Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #1

Here's a piece I made. Let me know what you think.

I know the original prop was a little different, but after having seen the movie, and looking at the stills, I wanted something a little more fossily.

Not only did I make the hand, but made a crate, and made a fake newspaper to go with it. I thought I'd post this to see what people thought.
    From
    Miami
    May 7, 2009, 6:49 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #2

That looks absolutely awesome (One of my favorite monster movies as well)

What did you use to make it? Sculpey??

DS
    May 7, 2009, 7:23 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #3

Bronze Apoxie. It's 1:1 scale, and weighs about 4lbs.
    From
    Apopka, FL
    May 7, 2009, 7:24 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #4

Love it! Great original idea of an iconic figure. Love the display, also.
    May 7, 2009, 7:28 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #5

Have better pictures, and will post them later today. I'm happy with the way it turned out.
    May 7, 2009, 8:26 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #6

Love it I did one a few years back!! Can't find the photos need to look for them.
    From
    Kansas City, Missouri
    May 7, 2009, 8:38 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #7

VERY nice!
    From
    New Hampshire
    May 7, 2009, 8:45 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #8

That is so cool!
    From
    Fishkill, NY
    May 7, 2009, 8:55 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #9

I have one of these, and like you, also painted it brown instead of grey
    May 7, 2009, 9:04 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #10

What a trip! I JUST finished my display for the GreyZon hand I did. I have had the hand finished for a few years but just got a display case made for it. Great job on yours, btw! I'm really liking it!!

-B89!
  11. RPF Premium Member Droidboy's Avatar
    May 7, 2009, 9:05 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #11

That's awesome. Definitely one of my favorite props.
  12. Superglued fingers RPF Premium Member Knightjar's Avatar
    From
    UK
    May 7, 2009, 9:05 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #12

Lovely work - and a great idea!
    From
    Long Island, New York
    May 7, 2009, 9:09 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #13

Great finish!
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    May 7, 2009, 9:12 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #14

Nice, but there wouldn't be any webbing, that's skin which would have gone bye-bye a long time ago. How about a "stuffed" hand which would have the webbing in tact?
    Not taking away from the genius of the project, it's inspired!
    May 7, 2009, 10:16 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #15

allosaur176 said: View Post
    I have one of these, and like you, also painted it brown instead of grey
    Actually, this is the original sculpt, and NOT a casting of someone else's work.
    May 7, 2009, 10:18 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #16

NakedMoleRat said: View Post
    Nice, but there wouldn't be any webbing, that's skin which would have gone bye-bye a long time ago. How about a "stuffed" hand which would have the webbing in tact?
    Not taking away from the genius of the project, it's inspired!
    Agreed. The original prop had the webbing which I always thought was pretty cool. I collect fossils when I find cool ones and making this was a lot of fun. It's NOT a casting, it's the original.
    From
    The Outer Rim
    May 7, 2009, 10:27 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #17

SCHWING, baby! That rocks.
    May 7, 2009, 11:52 AM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #18

madrobot said: View Post
    Actually, this is the original sculpt, and NOT a casting of someone else's work.
    And an AWESOME original sculpt! One of the biggest drawbacks to the GreyZon sculpt is that it's too small. You're looks to be a closer scale to the original.

Might fine work, bro!
    -B89!
  19. Do you have any TP? RPF Premium Member The BDK's Avatar
    From
    Kittanning, PA
    May 7, 2009, 12:16 PM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #19

Very Cool!

Deffinatly looks better in the brown fossilized colors opposed to the grey of the original, looks damn good.
    From
    Central Ca
    May 7, 2009, 2:02 PM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #20

Awesome Job.
    My Favorite Monster.

D6
    From
    Miami
    May 7, 2009, 3:35 PM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #21

madrobot said: View Post
    Bronze Apoxie. It's 1:1 scale, and weighs about 4lbs.
    WOW, I had no idea such stuff was available.

I read some info on Bronze Apoxie and it says the drying time is about 24 hrs...Did you have to race against time to finish the sculpt before it hardened, or did you do it in sections?

Also, is that the natural color of the bronze apoxie or did you have to touch it up with paint ?

(Sorry for all the questions)
    From
    Portland, OR
    May 7, 2009, 4:09 PM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #22

NakedMoleRat said: View Post
    Actually...

"The anaerobic conditions [of a lake, swamp, lagoon, or marsh] prevent many animals from living at the bottom, preventing scavenging and aerobic bacterial decay. Accordingly, this results in a high degree of fossil articulation and, in some cases, soft-tissue preservation." (p. 207)

"Mineralization ... can occur rapidly, anywhere from a few hours to a few years. [...] Dinosaur fossils with preservation of soft tissue exemplify the best evidence for fast rates of mineralization. This mode of preservation required anaerobic conditions and probable bacterial mediation of chemical reactions that fixed certain elements to make a recognizable facsimile of the original organic structure." (p. 209)

"If diagenesis happened rapidly enough, so that phosphatic minerals replaced the original organic material, a pseudomorph of soft tissues (such as muscles) can be preserved. This type of preservation gives more of a three-dimensional character to the parts than mere carbonization." (p. 210)

Enjoy your hand webbing. It's both plausible and possible, especially considering the fact that the creature came from a lagoon. And by the way, looks terrific!

All quotes above from the textbook "Introduction to the Study of Dinosaurs," by Anthony J. Martin, 2nd edition. Published by Blackwell publishing. I loved this class.
    May 7, 2009, 4:19 PM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #23

damn nice work! and a great piece
    the kind of thing I always want to see more of

now all you need is a t-100 endo arm, and ponda boba's arm, and luke's hand and you can have a collection of:
    "Famous Arms from the movies"
  24. RPF Premium Member howlingwind13's Avatar
    From
    Detroit
    May 7, 2009, 4:19 PM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #24

awesome! love the creature.
    From
    Sweden
    May 7, 2009, 5:57 PM - Re: Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon! #25

tgreco said: View Post
    damn nice work! and a great piece
    the kind of thing I always want to see more of

now all you need is a t-100 endo arm, and ponda boba's arm, and luke's hand and you can have a collection of:
    "Famous Arms from the movies"
    And Vaders, and Anakins..