Finishing a Raw Michael Myers Mask Tutorial

TridCloudwalker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So a fellow RPFer presented me with a very different project that I'm not used to doing, and asked if I would be able to paint and hair a raw latex pull of a William Shat....er...Michael Myers mask. This sounded like a fun and interesting challenge, so I immediately took it.

For those of you thinking of doing one of these....DON'T. This was the most irritating and frustrating prop job I have EVER done. :lol Just save up your cash and pay a professional to do it for you....and don't ask the professional TridCloudwalker to do it.

For the life of me, I cannot remember who made this mask, but it truly is THE most screen accurate looking H1 mask out there. However, in its raw form, it makes me look like a muppet with downs syndrome:
100_2158.jpg

100_2159.jpg

The first thing I did to the mask, and I unfortunately don't have any good pics of it, was to cut out the eyes and seam it. I removed all the mold lines that I could. They're still a bit rough and prominant, but I risked undoing the seams if I removed any more material, even after reenforcing them from behind with more liquid latex:
after1.jpg

after2.jpg

I also noticed some pretty deep craters around the seam areas, so I did my best to fill them in a smoothly as possible with more liquid latex. They still look bad at this point, but after painting and weathering, they pretty much get blended away:
earcrater1.jpg

earcrater3.jpg

After he was as clean and smooth and prepped as he was gonna get, it was time to start painting. Now, I could choose to be screen accurate, and bomb this thing with a can of white Krylon, but then my client wouls have a pile of latex cumbs sitting around an empty mask stand a few years later. So I went to http://www.monstermakers.com/ and bought a few bottles of their specially formulated latex mask paint. Its consistancy is about twice as thin as standard liquid latex. However, that's still too thick for an industrial gravity fed spray gun with 45psi trying to blast it out. So, i have to thin it with one part amonia to two parts paint, and boy oh boy, did that make my garage smell like a dirty litterbox. But it worked, and that's all the mattered. It took about 3 - 4 coats to get it looking smooth and solid:
DSC00834-1.jpg

DSC00835-1.jpg

DSC00838-1.jpg

Next on the agenda is "wearing away the white paint to show the original flesh tone beneath." which means faking it and painting a flesh tone on top. Since the original mask was just cheaply spraypainted, the paint wore off quite easily in areas where it was handled and bent a lot, leaving ugly fleshy patches showing through, like around Cesear Romero's neck after a few vigorous takes in Joker makeup. For this I mixed up the same 1:2 ratio of Monster Makers latex paint, but used their Medium Flesh color:
DSC01633.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

DSC01636-1.jpg

DSC01638-1.jpg

Next, i mixed up some light, medium, and dark greys, but with a 1:1 mix of paint and amonia to make it extra thin. With sponges, brushes, and fingertips (and one accidental instance with a cat's tail), I applied subtle shading into detailed areas like the jowl lines and brow furrow and ears and such, and also started some random smudging here and there to simulate scuff marks the masked received during filming. I also dirtied up the areas where Kirk's sci-burns were uncerimoniously yankked off, leaving an icky dried glue residue. I simulated that with flesh and grey paints applied in stipples:
DSC01688.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

I will come back and finalize the weathering later, but for now, The Hair! I bought a big bag o' hair from Monster Makers when I ordered the paint. I lopped off chuncks in 3 - 5 inch lengths. Using rubber cement...a LOT of rubber cement...two entire jars of the stuff, I applied the hair. I started off with a row closest to the hairline, posissioning the hair so that it hung down over the brow. The I turned around the head and worked my way from the bottom up, layer after layer after layer after layer. I would glop on rubber cement, spread it around a little, mash the hair into before it dried, hold it there for a few moments until it started getting tacky, then glopped more glue right on the very top inch of the glued down hairs, cementing them all together. Then the next layer gets glues right on top of icky glued layered, making sure to completly cover the glue with plenty of untouchd hair. You're essencially shingling a roof. The only thing I'd do differently is order real hair, whether it be alpaca or human or even just cheap wool crepe. Synthetic acrylic hair, though cheap and looks nice. Is AWFUL to work with. It doesn't like to stick to the glue, and is a b***h to style, but more on that later:
DSC01706.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01712.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

DSC01716.jpg

So he went from Kojack to Friar Tuck to one of the Beatles...and looks ridiculous. But that's where styling comes in. First a used a hot glue gun and following molded in hair line, ran long beads into it and mashed he hair down onto it. when it was set a while later, it enabled me to pull the hair back into that famous serial killer pompadour. I bought a very wide toothed comb, some hair spray (Aussie brand, since my client lives down under :)), and borrowed a little hair gel from my roomate. Since this was acrylic, it has a shape memory you have to break. So what I did was run the hair under the shower for a few moments and shook it out. Then I saturated everything in hairspray, and added gel to the temple areas, as I knew those would give my the biggest problem staying put.
DSC01717.jpg

DSC01719.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

Almost there. I VERY gently combed the hair back, and smooth out knots, and then I put a nylon stocking do-rag over Mike's noggin to mash it all down and keep it in place while the spray and gel dried and set. He's now looking all gangsta, yo!
DSC01725.jpg

After some last minute weathering adjustments, The Shape has come to shape. The flash and 13 megapixles over-exagerate the weathering a bit. It's actually smoother and more subtle through human eyes and looks fantastic, but you can get the generl idea. Here he is:
018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

025.jpg

028.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

Last edited:
Hey that looks really good mate. You really need it on though. If you send it to me I'll take some nice pics for ya;)

Regards
TAZ

Hey that looks really good mate. You really need it on though. If you send it to me I'll take some nice pics for ya;)

Regards
TAZ

My head is way too big to put it on without fear of messing up the hair when taking it off. It was a really tight fit in those first couple pics. I just have a bog noggin. As far as sending it to you...well...I might be able to arrange that. ;)

That is awesome

I still have my old Myers Donpost from around 1988

Love the "shape"

this is a perfect shot of the Shatner face :)

1002158p.jpg

1002158p.jpg

Now we know what Shatner looks like without his hair piece :confused

Looks great. Honestly... I think the hair could be a little more... messy. So I wouldn't worry about messing it up.

Love it ! If you ever remember who you got the blank from please let me know this is a project I been wanting to give a shot! That blank really does look sweet(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

Love the paint job! You really did a great great and thanks for posting all your pics!

Love it ! If you ever remember who you got the blank from please let me know this is a project I been wanting to give a shot! That blank really does look sweet(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

Love the paint job! You really did a great great and thanks for posting all your pics!

Oh! I remember! it was called the 1978 Closet Crasher by Masket Case Studios. I have no idea if it's still being offered. Taz bought it quite a while ago if memory serves.

Last edited:
Yeah...I purchased it from old evil bay as a bit of a bum pull. He said he usually sold them for around $200 so I ended up paying like $10 usd lol

TCW has done an excellent job at masking (pun) all the flaws in my cheap 2nd. So I'm a happy.

Regards
TAZ

truly is THE most screen accurate looking H1 mask out there.

That's a pretty bold statement there.:)
It is a very good Myers mask...but there are SOOO many "most accurate" Myers masks out there it really is kinda funny. Here's my most accurate Myers mask by a professional artist from Greece.
Great finish work btw!
DSC_0387_copy.jpg

DSC_0406_copy.jpg

DSC_0380_copy.jpg

NAG1.jpg

Halloween_night08_copy.jpg

Very nice, Quin. Personally I prefer the cleaner look that yours has. Taz wanted his a little dirtied up, though. However, the pics make it look much much grungier and rougher than it really is. A 13mp camera under high light tends to exagerate things.

My bold statement, I realize, is opinion, but it seems to be one shared by a lot of people on the myers forums. However, not being a big fan of the movies, I'm hardly an expert. I was always more of a Freddy man.

Very nice Quinn. I think your shot with the blue film is amazing!!! Captures the look exactly in my mind. So it just goes to show how good composition and the right lighting can turn a great mask bad or vice versa.....I preferred this to be rugged and dirty to hide the flaws. A little better.
So after not much of an investment it turned out to be a very nice mask all thanks to Tricloud.

Cheers
TAZ

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back